Open apology to CPF members

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Been thinking about this for a couple days

This for a comment I made in the removed (not closed) thread Climate Change Video.
I personally didn't see what happened that night, but can only guess it wasn't pretty.
If you remember it, you very much know what I said. Please no attempt on paraphrasing it here, ok
My comment came across as self-centered and insensitive.

Anyone who knows me, even indirectly over nearly the last 17 years, realizes that's not who I am.
Everyone has a right to their beliefs and upbringing, that has to be respected..

Our World is simply too small to think otherwise.

orbital

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I posted the climate video, and I do not understand why it was removed.

So, we're not supposed to discuss politics or religion. It was neither, it was about science, and had no political slant to it.

There is another thread going on where people are writing big long paragraphs about religion ... quoting scriptures, pounding the pulpit, etc. It actually does not bother or offend me at all, but it's still there. The discussion in the climate thread was civil, with no arguing or political talk.

If that was you who mentioned something about religion, it was not even really related to what the video was about. I know that someone replied back to it, but nothing ugly. I don't understand why those couple of comments weren't removed, instead of the whole thread. It was good information, and most everyone was agreeing, and several thanked me for posting it. Meanwhile, the thread with the religion argument is still up.

Also: If you felt the need to apologize, I respect and accept that. I personally wasn't offend by the comment, I'm more offended that my video was removed for no real reason. And I was just about to become a supporting member too.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I posted the climate video, and I do not understand why it was removed.

So, we're not supposed to discuss politics or religion. It was neither, it was about science, and had no political slant to it.

There is another thread going on where people are writing big long paragraphs about religion ... quoting scriptures, pounding the pulpit, etc. It actually does not bother or offend me at all, but it's still there. The discussion in the climate thread was civil, with no arguing or political talk.

If that was you who mentioned something about religion, it was not even really related to what the video was about. I know that someone replied back to it, but nothing ugly. I don't understand why those couple of comments weren't removed, instead of the whole thread. It was good information, and most everyone was agreeing, and several thanked me for posting it. Meanwhile, the thread with the religion argument is still up.

Also: If you felt the need to apologize, I respect and accept that. I personally wasn't offend by the comment, I'm more offended that my video was removed for no real reason. And I was just about to become a supporting member too.

That other topic is locked now. Probably a good thing.

Conversations about climate change have a nasty tendency to slide off the rails, thus based on past experience management may have preemptively closed it.

As do "conversations" concerning religion and politics. The former CPF administration also deemed posts concerning moderation verboten for the same reason. It's easy to understand why.

If being a member since 2010 (still a newbie) has taught me anything, it's that we all have strong opinions concerning the above and nobody visits CPF to be dissuaded of their firmly held beliefs concerning religion and/or politics. Attempts to do so always produce heat but little illumination.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
As do "conversations" concerning religion and politics. The former CPF administration also deemed posts concerning moderation verboten for the same reason. It's easy to understand why.
Aye.

Any forum needs moderation of some sort to survive - be it a degree of self-regulation or others that enforce rules - in order to survive, lest the loudest voices drive off the userbase. The former is preferable.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've only read the last half dozen or so posts in this thread, however, I would like to go on record to state that over the last several years science has been turned into a political issue, something that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone that can't see that is part of the problem of today's society.

What were being told about science can no longer be trusted as 100% accurate.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Speaking of statistics, it reminds me of a story of how a race between an American horse, and a Russian horse was reported in each respective newspapers.

The horses raced, they were the only two in the race, and the American won.

American newspaper:
Today a great horse race took place at a race track in Kentucky. It is one of the nicest race tracks in the world. It is world renowned. The American horse won the race! It came in first place. As a side note, the Russians also entered the race, and it came in last.

Russian newspaper:
Today a great horse race took place in America. Our horse, showed its superior breeding and performed exceptionally well. Despite being on foreign soil, on a muddy unkept track, in a hostile environment, our horse came in a close second.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I've only read the last half dozen or so posts in this thread, however, I would like to go on record to state that over the last several years science has been turned into a political issue, something that needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Anyone that can't see that is part of the problem of today's society.

What were being told about science can no longer be trusted as 100% accurate.
Science used to say adding leeches to the skin of a sick person was a good thing. And the ever popular 'the world is flat' theory. Some of that thinking was politically motivated back then too. If a leader said the world was flat you betcha the masses shouted "hurray, the world is flat". In other words this is nothing new. Except word spreads faster and by more parrots.

hamhanded

Enlightened
"Science" is not an authority. Science is a process. What we do with the information obtained from this process is interpretation.

There's a lot of dialog about science suggesting people regard it as a building with leadership that you can enter and which periodically issues press releases.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Science used to say adding leeches to the skin of a sick person was a good thing.
+

Putting leeches on the skin was the exact opposite of science,, meaning there was no science to it.
If the leeches secreted a form a penicillin and we observed this,, then that's science.
We advance science to make sure we don't get fooled into thinking we need to put leeches* on ourselves.

Understanding and then making ones own decisions has gravity of its own.

*or greedy doctors/insurance/big pharma/gov./____/......

hamhanded

Enlightened
Putting leeches on the skin was the exact opposite of science,, meaning there was no science to it.
If the leeches secreted a form a penicillin and we observed this,, then that's science.

The anticoagulant and anesthetic effects of the saliva secreted by leeches are readily observable by anyone who's been bitten by one. Don't you think it's a bit of a stretch to say that there was absolutely no consideration behind their adoption in medical practice at the time, as archaic as it might look to us now?

And, for what it's worth, leeches are still used in medicine today, though I don't think anyone would call it common.