Fenix L1T CR123 brighter than a Fenix P1?

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
So I bought the excellent nekomane CR123 body for the LxT series of Fenix lights. Got it yesterday... it's fantastic. Great fit and finish, etc.

I "installed" it and was immediately blown away by how bright it was. Very, very intense on the primary brightness level.

Out of curiousity, I compared it to my P1... it's actually brighter. Why is that? Shouldn't it be about the same brightness? They're both 1xCR123 T-binned Lux III lights, right? What am I missing?

FYI, both lights had brand new BS cells.

Could someone explain this to a layperson like myself, please? :)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight reviews found the L*T to be brighter on 3 volts than the P1. I think the L*T head drives the led harder...probably kills the batt sooner too. The L*T head was meant to run on AA`s with more mill amps. I know my 123 L*T sure is bright...same the 2 AA setup.

Sable

Enlightened
That would be my guess - that the LxT head drives the LED harder.

Yes, they're both T-binned Luxeon III lights running at an input voltage of ~3v - but they don't have the same electronics board between them. The output power from the LxT appears to be somewhat higher than that of the P1. This means a brighter beam, but, of course, at the expense of runtime.

Although with a 123 LxT, you've got yourself a low mode right there, so...

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some reason my link is going to the wrong thread. Here's the pic I was trying to point you to (probably the same one you found).

L1TCR123sz.jpg

Thanks to UnknownVT for the pic.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep! I just got my CR123 bodies in the mail today. My LxT/123 is brighter than my P1 too. It's brighter than my L2T on 2 NiMh's but that may be because of a difference in the heads and/or battery type. This combination makes for a slick little light!

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lite_me said:
My LxT/123 is brighter than my P1 too.

Ok, I give in. I just bought the L2T/123 combo at fenix-store. Today alone I bought that, 2 L0PSEs and a P1 in the BST. I've been on this site less than 1 month. Do I have a problem?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
dammitjim said:
Ok, I give in. I just bought the L2T/123 combo at fenix-store. Today alone I bought that, 2 L0PSEs and a P1 in the BST. I've been on this site less than 1 month. Do I have a problem?

They must have some kind of addictive substance on the fenix flashlights!! I have bought several in the past few months also!!! They are just really neat little lights. I don't think we have a problem, we are just amazed by a well made product. Can't wait until the cree fenix lights!! :twothumbs