Maglite 2D LED in a 3D flashlight?

rpage53

Newly Enlightened
Finally found a Maglite LED upgrade for sale locally, but they only had the 2C/D. I can only find a 3C flashlight which is what I wanted to use it in anyway.

Can the 2C module handle the extra voltage? I see in some of the tests it only used a little over 1W on over 3V input so I'm wondering if 3 tired cells would be OK. I could use a spacer if necessary.

Thanks on my first post,
Rick in Victoria, BC.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this just on the island? Have you gone over to the mainland? Kind of hard to believe that you wouldn't be able to find a 3 cell version in all of metro Van. You'll most likely cause some sort of damage to the 2 cell version by introducing 50% more voltage than it is expecting.

BTW, you'll love how the 3 cell version performs in a 3C body. The run time of a 3D incandescent (and longer) in a more compact form factor, without all the weight.

and ... Welcome to CPF!

rpage53

Newly Enlightened
No, I meant I couldn't find the flashlights in the house. I've got two 2C, one 3C and two 3D Mags, not to mention who knows how many AA's. But between the wife and kids they were all missing until I found a 3C in a bedroom drawer.

3 Canadian Tires were also sold out of the incandescent Maglites. I tried to find a 3C upgrade but had to settle for the 2C. I did buy a 2AA LED Maglite though and with Energizer Lithium its absolutely brilliant (pun intended).

Rick.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If all you can find is a 3C body, the sensible thing to do would be to return the 2 cell module that you bought and exchange it for a 3 cell version, or get a refund on the 2 cell version if that is all the store had. From other posts here, it appears that Canadian Tire recently was selling this module for $20CAD, perhaps that caused the diminished supplies.

Of course if you happen to be headed into Seattle, there's always the Fry's store in Renton. I don't know if they have any provisions for pickup (some of the Asian web merchants now charge a fee for a pick-up,) but there's a mail-order vendor that is located in Blaine as well.

rpage53 said:
No, I meant I couldn't find the flashlights in the house. I've got two 2C, one 3C and two 3D Mags, not to mention who knows how many AA's. But between the wife and kids they were all missing until I found a 3C in a bedroom drawer.

3 Canadian Tires were also sold out of the incandescent Maglites. I tried to find a 3C upgrade but had to settle for the 2C. I did buy a 2AA LED Maglite though and with Energizer Lithium its absolutely brilliant (pun intended).

Rick.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2c/d can handle the voltage (for a short time) but it gets very hot. There is nowhere for the heat to go so the overheating circuit kicks in right quick. expect 10-20 seconds of blinding white slightly angry light followed by damage to your module which you can then return and feign ignorance and exchange for a 3cell version when they have one. Or just use a dummy cell in your 3C.

rpage53

Newly Enlightened
The 2C/D shouldn't get any hotter than the 3C/D since the LED is the same. The voltage booster shouldn't do anything and just pass the full voltage. I was wondering if anyone that had dismantled one might have a reason to think the electronics were limited to a lower voltage.

So I tried it and it only got lukewarm after about 5 minutes. The 3 cells were 4.05V open circuit. I'm still trying to find one of the 2C bodies somewhere around the house for its permanent home.

Thanks,
Rick.