Hmmm, I'm having odd problem with KL1 and 17500 cell...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the first battery I've seen that the ends are completely flat. This is causing a problem with the KL1 head. Where the positive contact terminal is on the KL1, its even with the black plastic thing that its mounted on. The shoulders of the battery rest on that, not allowing the end of the battery to contact that little "nub". I rigged up a little spring up with some electrical tape seen below. Not pretty, I know. My question is can I put a gob of solder on the positive end of the battery? Will it stay put? Any safety issues? Charging seems to work ok though....
picture1hb1.jpg

Mikeg23

Enlightened
I think people normally use some type of magnet. They were included with my batteries from AW.

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had issues with an 18650 with no tabs. I extended the spring in the U2 with careful hands.

If I had to do it again I'd prob just use the magnet

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have some little neodymium magnets. That circuit board is right on the other side of the positive contact point. Are you sure it won't be affected?

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be cautious with magnets. Carefully examine the inside of the head and the end of the body tube. Make absolutely certain the magnet cannot slide to the side, and short out the postive contact of the cell against anything in the negative path. Shorting out a li-ion cell is not a happy day.

When using my U2 on li-ion cells, I had to stretch the little spring as someone has noted about. If I recall correctly, the KL1 has no postive contact spring. There is only a little metal nubbin in the center of a plastic island.

JanCPF

Enlightened
DON'T USE MAGNETS on the positive tab. There is a high risk of the magnet sliding off center to make a direct contact between the positive terminal of the battery and the tube (which is connected to the negative terminal) thus shorting out the cell.

Soldering on the cell is also not a good idea because the seals may melt resulting in a leaking cell.

Best thing to do is to either put a small gob solder on the positive contact of the head, or to grind down the black plastic polarity protection ring of the head.

EDIT Ty beat me to it :)

Jan

Last edited:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
JanCPF said:
Best thing to do is to either..., or to grind down the black plastic polarity protection ring of the head.
I seem to remember that my old 1st generation KL1 didn't even have the "polarity protection ring" around the positive contact. I'll have to check that out tonight.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
The inductor of the circuit can be affected by a strong magnet, and possibly damage the circuit. If you've ever put a magnet next to an ArcAAA it dims down to almost nothing. And that can be stressfull for the circuit as the coil isn't able to work properly.