Windows XP popup question

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Any idea how to get rid of this annoying little pop-up that keeps showing up in my Windows XP?

popup.gif

It announces itself with a "popping balloon" noise, and stays on the screen for 20 or 30 seconds. Clicking on it launches some kind of wizard I don't want to run. Can the pop-up part be disabled in Windows XP?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not at home, so I'm not sure, but try

Control Panel
System
Automatic Updates Tab
Turn off auto update

Joe

fasteddie

Enlightened
Another way to get rid of it is to actually get the critical upgrades, which often are related to Windows security flaws.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Craig,

You're in Seattle, just ask ol' Bill Gates to drop by an fix it!

Seriously, pop up anythings should be out lawed, and anyone who ever made one shot atleast twice in the head....It's like having someone change your TV channel for you in the middle of a show!

Best practice is never read them, and never ever buy from a pop up add; it only encourages them more.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just another reason why I havn`t made the switch from Win98. Sure, it crashes for no reason sometimes, but at least it doesn`t generate its own pop-ups (asides the "tool tips" and ALT text on web page images, but I like those) and doesn`t try to tell me what to do, or think it knows what I want it to do and then do it by itssself (unlike most MS Office products which think they`re so smart but infact end up costing me time removing all the damn autoformatting they do).

Incidentally I have never bought anything from a pop-up ad or Spam mail and never felt remotely inclined to do so. Most of it`s USA/Canada only anyway- I never do understand why I get those. I don`t even read Spam now I turned Message Preview off to stop those auto-tracking things getting my details. If the title looks like Spam (and let`s face it, they`re easy to spot), I send it to Spamcop and delete it. There`s even Spams going round that auto-launch an IE window up in your face, displaying their web site, or spawning nasty little browser pop ups that won`t go away. I hate those.

Let`s start a motion now to ban all Automatic Advertising Pop-up windows and make Spamming/Unsolicited Bulk Mailing illegal worldwide. It should be.

rolleyes.gif

aso

Enlightened
Craig

Check out tweakxp.com. This site has a bunch of tips on how to modify XP to your liking.
You should also check out Xteq Systems. They make a program that more or less handholds you through various OS tweaks. The best part, it's free.

You should also check out XPantispy.de. They make a free program that disables various functions of XP, functions which some people believe MS purposely enabled to collect data and transmit back to MS. There is a changelog on the site for you to read to see if this program is right for you. The site is in German, but there is an English page, just click on the Union Jack.

Starlight

Enlightened
I think if you just right click on the icon in the tray, you get an option to turn off the icon.

papasan

Enlightened
start -> settings -> control panel -> administrator tools -> services

disable 'automatic updates'

there is alot of services you can turn off to help streamline your system. there are some you will want to turn off for security, like 'netmeeting remote desktop sharing' and 'remote registry' and crap like that.

tweakxp is a cool link to have, thanks.

Spork

Enlightened
they finally released tweakui for xp. it will give you some extra settings. you can download it from microsoft.

Artie Choke

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ed_A:
Another way to get rid of it is to actually get the critical upgrades, which often are related to Windows security flaws.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be VERY careful when using windows updates. MS has rushed some out and they have broken people's systems! Since you're not connected to the web all the time, most of these security updates won't be needed. MS is coming out with a service pack that will have all the updates. that might be a good time to install them, after other bleeding-edge users have tested the waters with them!
grin.gif

DonL

Enlightened
Just a few days ago I putzed through www.download.com and pulled in a few freeware programs to disable spyware (apparently rampant in Kazaa) and popups.

I think some of Kazaa's are the most insidious. Not only is it spyware, but it activates other popups (X-cam can suck a diarrhetic camel's tookus.
mad.gif
). No browser open, but lo and behold, another X-cam or insurance or mortgage manifestation of all that is evil and should be abolished from the face of this earth.

*sigh* Wifey wants her music and stuff, though...
rolleyes.gif