Travel Light

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. I need a light for travel. I want quality, but I don't want super expensive (think less than $50). I love my CR2 Ion but I don't want to part with it if it were confiscated or lost, so a cheaper clone would be great. I was thinking about getting an ARC AAAP. Is the quality of contruction that much better than a Fenix? Or should I just wait for a E1 Xre? I am just amazed with the quality of the ION and was wondering if the ARC is close? Any suggestions would be great. A common battery like AA or AAA would be preferred.

Nick

whippoorwill

Enlightened
I use a Fenix LOP-SE for travel. It is MUCH more flexible than my ARC-AAAp. I travel extensively and I can tell you that a bright light comes in handy sometimes. You can always dial the L0P-SE down to the ARC level but you cannot dial up the ARC.

carrot

Flashaholic
Yeah, I'd choose a multilevel Fenix like the L0P-SE or the L1T...

Arc has very nice build quality but in terms of electronics it seems Fenix has Arc beat. And Fenix's build quality is pretty good too!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take the Ion with you! It's small enough to always be in your pocket so why worry? It's probably safer with you than sitting at home without you. I travel a fair amount and never have trouble with the TSA in reguards to my lights. Toothpaste yes, lights and batts no. Go figure...

kelmo

whippoorwill

Enlightened
Flexibility is the key when you travel. Fenix quality is outstanding. And you are right, you will misplace something when you travel. That is why I don't carry my Mont Blanc pen but rather a cheapie so I don't go into mourning when I lose it. Don't carry ANYTHING that you cannot afford to lose.

speederino

Enlightened
I recently upgraded from a Fenix LOP to the LOP-SE as my flashlight travel companion. I spend a fair amount of time traveling and I have yet to work up the nerve to take my CR2 Ion!

You won't be disappointed with the Fenix. For $33.25 shipped after discount, the LOP-SE is a steal.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one problem with the LOP SE. I don't like the on-off method of controlling brightness. It drives me nuts. I am strongly considering the L1T though. I am just so amazed by the Ion's build quality that I don't know if I can go another direction. I just took the plunge and put myself on the TI Ion list. Maybe then I'll be able to take my regular Ion with me anywhere. I doubt it though. If it was confiscated in the airport it would be all over the news because I'd probably cause a riot.

speederino

Enlightened
As one of the unlucky travelers that flew out of BWI on August 10th, I think I was far more prepared for the sudden changes in carry-on regulations than many other travelers because I have always been willing to part with just about anything in my bag in an instant without a second thought. Given, a flashlight isn't a tube of toothpaste or a bottle of shampoo, but you never know...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Eternalights are great travel lights having many levels wrapped up in one package. My Derringer always goes on trips. The low level is good for reading in bed, the high for finding stuff, and the red for just a bit while playing with the radio. Never needed the flash or SOS, but it's there too. Not super bright, but most of the time just right.

Geoff

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
The advantage of the LOPSE/L1T is the AAA AA battery, when travelling CR2 and CR123s are sometimes not easy to come by if you need them.

carrot

Flashaholic
I own an Eternalight. While I like the light since I already have so many others I cannot find a regular use for it. But, I'll second Flying_Turtle that the Eternalight is very versatile and flexible.

83Venture

Enlightened
I usuall travel with one type of EternaLight or another. Also bring a Petzl ZIPKA Plus, have it on the strap hook that holds one of my bags. It has 3 power settings. Because of its shape and integrated strap system it can be placed in many positions. You can even Half-Hitch the strap around bars/branches/chairs etc to hold it.

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
nmiller said:
I have one problem with the LOP SE. I don't like the on-off method of controlling brightness.

I thought that but actually prefer the L0P SE control method I don't have to let go of the head and there is surprisingly less twiddling. I really wish it went dim med bright. I have an L0P miller mod which is tighter for brighter 3 level and the ORB NS 2 level. Its much quicker to use the L0P SE especially to turn off. I agree the L2 T is the best of both worlds it says the select method is patented.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the eternalight is for me.

83Venture: You are on to something. I just thought I'll start with my headlamp. Its cheap, uses regular AAA batts and runs forever on one set.

Vinnyp: I actually owned the LOPse. I sold it because I really didn't like the on-off setup. I guess it just isn't for me. Its too bad, because it was a great light.

l1s125

Newly Enlightened
the guy over at onebag.com recommends the inova x1 as a travel light. Unless you go on outdoor expeditions, you're gonna be using it as an indoor light, or maybe in less developed areas to get to the latrine. In otherwords, the 10ish lumens it puts out for 8ish hours on a universally availabe AA battery will be pretty much all you need. Unless you travel ONLY to developed nations, I think you should stick with AA format, in more remote areas, finding even a AAA might be hit or miss. I was once able to purchase a couple AA batteries from a merchant at an oasis in the middle of the Sahara in southern Libya. I asked him if he had any smaller batteries and he looked at me like I was crazy. Also, quickbeam endorses the onebag guy's choice of the X1 as ideal travel light.

Last edited: