Fenix P1 Runtime Stinks ??

Budman231

Enlightened
I've used the P1 as an EDC for a while now. I have to say I'm not impressed with the runtime realworld performance. It does throw pretty well for a little light but I would hate to get stuck in a dark elevator for an extended period of time with this. I put a new duracell 123 in not more than 3 weeks ago. I really have not used it for any extended period of time (typical 1-3 mins at a time). I went to use it today and the thing poop the bed. went dim, then out it went.

Maybe I had a bad battery but is anyone really seeing 2 hours of runtime on a single 123...?

Vinnyp

Newly Enlightened
Budman231 said:
Maybe I had a bad battery but is anyone really seeing 2 hours of runtime on a single 123...?

Pretty close I'd guess.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chevro did some runtime plots of different batteries (do a search). Most primaries fell within that 2 hour time frame.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mines lasts quite long. I use it intermittently also, not for 2hrs straight, but I've used it for 30+mins at a time several times and it's still going.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
The runtime depends a lot on the type of cell. I recently posted graphs of the run time of my P1 with Surefire and Battery Station cells at http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=142846. They show around 1-1/2 hours for the Battery Station, about 2 hours for the Surefire. I also tried one Ultralast cell I bought at Fry's -- it ran the P1 for 1-1/4 hr. I haven't tried a Duracell. Your P1 might draw a little more or less current than mine, so it might not give quite the same runtime. But I'd expect the difference between cells to be similar.

In the product development world, we say "Fast, cheap, good: pick any two." In the flashlight world, "Bright, small, long runtime: pick any two" applies. The P1 is bright and it's small.

c_c

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's something that you're carrying around in your pocket, is it possible that the light may have activated without your knowledge at some point? That's another possbility in addition to a bad battery, or just an exhausted battery (if you've just used it for 3 minutes at a time for say 30 times, it does add up, and most lights require a little more current when they're just starting to illuminate.)

Budman231 said:
I put a new duracell 123 in not more than 3 weeks ago. I really have not used it for any extended period of time (typical 1-3 mins at a time).

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have it tightened down enough to use the momentary on function when you take it out of your pocket it may be turning on and off momentarily in the pocket like has been mentioned before. Twist it down to where it does not turn on when in the pocket.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
No complaints from me on the runtime. I haven't tested the runtime (it would just be a waste of batteries), but I typically carry it with me at least several times a week, usually whenever I leave the house aside from going to work, and in 3-4 months of intermittent use, I just changed the first battery I used (a Surefire battery) a week or two ago. I'm trying a Battery Station cell in it now, but for the way I use it, replacing the battery 4-5 times a year is completely acceptable. I always carry an ARC AAA as well for when less light is needed or a longer runtime is desirable.

-Keith

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Lee1959 said:
If you have it tightened down enough to use the momentary on function when you take it out of your pocket it may be turning on and off momentarily in the pocket like has been mentioned before. Twist it down to where it does not turn on when in the pocket.
What's this momentary function? If there is one it's unintended. Yes if you keep it 'just off' you can pull the head in a bit and it'll go on. Then it might stay on.
In the old days it was called 'backlash', not 'momentary on feature'.

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
How to test P1 runtime on RCR123 3.7V ? It gets pretty hot and I don't want it to overheat... Should I put in cold water ? How much water ? ;) A glass is too small I think...

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my wifes you can have it screwed down close enough to hold it in between your fingers on the head, and press on the butt, turning on the light. Releasing the pressure lets the light turn off. I assumed it is like other twisty lights and had a momentary on feature, perhaps not.

When you put it in the pocket set like this it can turn on and off in the pocket accidently.

Coop57

Enlightened
I get 1:40 or more from Surefire batts. I can't complain. Fenix says you will get 2 hours. When was the last time a manufacturer published real world stats? Get over it. The P1 is a great light (for the money)with decent run time.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
wojtek_pl said:
How to test P1 runtime on RCR123 3.7V ? It gets pretty hot and I don't want it to overheat... Should I put in cold water ? How much water ? ;) A glass is too small I think...

I did a full run time test with my P1. It got pretty hot, but not too hot to touch. It ran 58 minutes from a Battery Station protected RCR-123A cell. Not bad considering it ran only 1-1/4 hours from an Ultralast brand primary cell, 1-1/2 hours from a Battery Station primary, and 1-3/4 hours on a Surefire primary. It's considerably brighter when run from the rechargeable, but the output isn't really regulated except for a minute or two when it hits normal brightness near the end of the run.

[Text edited: The original posting incorrectly said "It's considerably brighter than when run from the rechargeable. . ."]

If you're worried about the heat, blow a fan on it and/or wrap it with a wet rag.

c_c

Last edited:

meeshu

Enlightened
Top Secret! So secret even I don't know where I am
I generated runtimes for the Fenix P1 awhile back and posted the results in the "reviews" section.

For quick reference, the runtimes were:

runtimes-1.jpg

The runtimes are typically around 1 1/2 hour to 1 3/4 hour for most batteries.

I sold my P1 because of the relatively short runtimes. My preference is for lights with at least 4 hours (flat) regulated runtime.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious_character said:
If you're worried about the heat, blow a fan on it and/or wrap it with a wet rag.
c_c

Or put some thermal grease on the pill threads, right c-c? :dedhorse: