Any luck ordering LOTC for older SF G2

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened
I have an older G2 that I want/need to get a LOTC for. Has anyone had luck ordering these from Surefire?

Chris

firefly99

Enlightened
A Z59 would fit your G2 but it is $38 while a G2 is listed as $36.

You would be better off buying a new G2.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Z72 LockOut TailCap - G2-BK black
Z73 LockOut TailCap - G2-OD olive drab
Z74 LockOut TailCap - G2-YL yellow
Z75 LockOut TailCap - G2-TN tan

I believe they are like $12 or something.

Size15's

Flashaholic
chrisn1niq said:
Geez. That hardly seems worth it :(
If you mean that you may as well buy another G2 [that does have a LockOut TailCap] then you have a good point. Afterall, your old one is now spare parts and a working flashlight in its own right.

If you mean the LockOut feature itself is not worth $12 then I serviously beg to differ!
Whether it is a Z41 for a 12PM, or a Z52 for an E2, or a Z72 for a G2 the LOTC feature ensures the flashlight is disabled for transportation and storage etc where unintentional or accidental activation poses a safety hazard and wastes battery juice. Additionally, the ability to disable a light for when its activation would compromise your location or activites is something you really don't want to do.

When I purchased a 12PM I got a Z41 straight away! The last thing I wanted to do was waste light at $1 per minute!

For me the most important improvement to the E2 when the E2e was created was the LockOut TailCap (closely followed by the better PocketClip). When I carried the E2 clipped inside my pocket it would sometimes activate. I could LockOut the E2e - problem solved.

I am one of those who like Nitrolon and value it's light-weight, better grip and more durable characteristics over aluminium. The 8NX performs excellently. However, I was always cautious with the G2's because the TailCap did not LockOut and the flashlight could not be disabled. That's one of the reasons why I like the G2Z much more. I've always argued for the G2 to have the LOTC - one of the most important features of a SureFire. So now that the G2 does have a LOTC I can use G2's for all the applications a low-cost flashlight is ideal for (glovebox/toolbox/1st aid kit etc etc)

Al

alantch

Enlightened
chrisn1niq, try emailing Surefire and tell them you've got a G2 without the LOTC. I did the same thing and they sent me 2 pcs! But be prepared to wait though ... it took about two months to arrive. Good luck.

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened
Ok. I've emailed SF. We'll see what they say. At the risk of starting a war, I wish I had bought a Scorpion instead :(

carrot

Flashaholic
Just curious, what's wrong with the G2, vs. the Scorpion?

The reason why I like Surefire is definitely not because of their low-end lights anyway...

chrisn1niq

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
Just curious, what's wrong with the G2, vs. the Scorpion?

With the Scorpion you get:

1. Clickie switch
2. Cheaper Bulbs
3. On board bulb storage
4. focusable beam

Just my take on it.