(FINISHED!) Modded KL3 (with a Cree P4 + McR27L)

Kyle.Crawford

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

My first try at modding a light. I took a rather beat up KL3 + C2 + twisty and I am going to stick a Mc27L + LuxIII into the KL3. :)

I got bored waiting for my reflector/driver/led, so I started playing with my dremel on the outside of the head...because it was beat up and needed to be made prettier. :)

Sorry that they are too big...I am tired and don't feel like resizing again...

Finished the MOD!
Final product is a Cree P4 driven by a Downboy 1000 (yes...1 amp :)) in a slightly modified McR-27L that fits in my bored out KL3. Head does not even get excessively warm after extended use...and this thing is BRIGHT!
I used a new O-ring from a O-ring set i bought on ebay (hehe 407 O-rings of diff sizes. :)), so I have something like 20 extras.
One negative - I had to dremel down the lens...so it kindve got a little chipped and the head is not currently watertight...which is why the beam is a little out of shape. I am ordering a new lens form surefire...but they just want me to RMA the light...I tried to explain that I don't want it returned to spec, but they are having trouble understanding. :grin2:

NEW PICTURES!
IC9Y4363.JPG

IC9Y4364.JPG

The Below pictures are beamshot at ~2 feet (thats why there is slight dougnut). First is fully exposed, second is 2 stops under, 3rd is 4 stops (yes...four) underexposed. This thing flood like crazy and throws really nicely!
IC9Y4371.JPG
IC9Y4372.JPG
IC9Y4373.JPG

OLD PICS: (body still looks basicially the same).

IC9Y4317.JPG

IC9Y4318.JPG
IC9Y4319.JPG
IC9Y4315.JPG
IC9Y4316.JPG

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Modded KL3 (in process)

Looks nice and 'raw'!! The silver/black looks good. Why not try putting a Cree XR-E in there? :D

Not sure if there's currently any nice optics/reflectors that will fit nicely into a KL3 head with the Cree, but if it does, you'll have a monster. Run it with some circuitry at 300 ma and you'll have similar runtime to the stock KL3 (gen 2), which is about 3hrs, but prob 3 times the output!

Kyle.Crawford

Newly Enlightened

Basically, I decided against cree for a few reasons:

-Cree Q2,3,4 will be available in a few months
-Lux may come out with something better soonish
-No good reflectors avail
-Shoppe has the luxIII available right now...and relatively cheap, so I can complete this quickly
-Cree is much more flood than spot...and luxIII is more spotty

I will probably (if I end up keeping this) remod it with a newer Lux or Cree...

:)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, it's true!! :D Just use this for a while with your planned setup and wait and see what better LEDs come out soon, then upgrade! :)

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

i think the shop has mcr27 cree reflectors now.

-David

Kyle.Crawford

Newly Enlightened

OK - fine...I guess I need a cree. :grin2:

Ordered a P4 on the order thread...
Bought another driver through the shoppe...

So what I will do...is make 2 drop-in setups for my KL3...one with the LuxIII and one with the Cree and then have a shootout with the 27L reflector...since I already cut the head to make the 27L fit into it.

Might have to bore out the back of the 27L to make the cree fit...could be interesting! :)

I'll post shots and whatnot once I get the parts and work it all together!

:)

Thanks for the input,
Kyle

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey, I recognize that light! Looks a bit different now, I must say. Good luck on the Cree implant.

schiesz

Kyle.Crawford

Newly Enlightened

Should be....interesting. I think some parts are actually here today (my LuxIII and driver...maybe even my 27L...) but I have to wait a bit longer on the cree. :(

I will post again once I get some more pretty pictures to post about!

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle.Crawford

Newly Enlightened
Re: Modded KL3 (in process) (with a Cree P4 + McR27L)

FINISHED!

Cree is the shiz...this thing floods like crazy and throws REALLY far as well!

Thanks so all who helped me...cree was the right choice. :)