Help! ASP Triad suggestions please.

moraino

Enlightened
I am buying an ASP Triad after reading so many posts regarding Lithium123 lights. It seems the one that has the tightest focus.

Does the Baton Connector vervion come with tail cap if there is no baton connected?

And which color is a good choice since there aren't many pictures available on the web.

Could anyone post some Triad pictures if posible. Thanks a million for any information provided.
wink.gif
smile.gif
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mariano,
I can't really answer your questions, but I'm not impressed with my Triad. I bought mine for the same reason as you, but I'ld rather use any of my 6V SF's. Thought it might be just the lamp, so I put in my spare that was shaped different. It was terriable. Looked like a bright Maglight, rings & all. TX
Edit later:
Mariano, I would certainly concede to Kogatana's evaluation as it is based on 1st hand experience I probably won't have in a lifetime. TX

moraino

Enlightened
Thanks for all that responded.

Kogatana, It's a very nice presentation of your website. I see the detailed pictures of Triad.

Look like the brass colet is the key to that tight focus. I saw the teardrop bulb in your picture, does it come with Triad? If not, where did you get it?

May I ask you where did you purchase that stainless lens retainer? It looks very cool.

Again, thanks for your great information and detailed pictures.

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The baton connector version of the switch is not supplied with an endcap, that, BTW, also functions as a bulb storage compartment <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Kogatana, did you mean the baton connector serves for spare bulb storage? I don't see anywhere in the standard cap for this. TX

moraino

Enlightened
It looks like ASP TRIAD is not a favorite Li123 light for most of the CPF members.

I've already made 2 mods on the LS lights and am satisfied with the beam they produce for near distance illumination.

It's the reason I am buying a small Li123 for long throw and as a backup light.

Does anybody have beam shots that can be posted comparing to the SUREFIRE E2 or....

I just like to see it before I place the order. Thanks.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moraino:
It looks like ASP TRIAD is not a favorite Li123 light for most of the CPF order. (<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Asp ad department must be underwater. They have done so little to publicize their product that I'm amazed that anyone has even heard of it. Perhaps that is because their primary products are police security items (batons, etc). They don't even have a "real" website. That Australian one is extremely limited and cunbersome.

I have tested most of the 2x123's currently available and in terms of long throw the Triad/Taclite blows away the competition, including all Surefire 2x123's.

Don't misunderstand, I love my Surefires (though I find my E2 too wimpy for any serious outdoor use due to wide dispersion angle, except as a near distance area light, which seems well covered by your LS mods).

The ASP is the best, smallest and brightest 2x123 compromise between a Surefire standard and a Surefire Turbo currently on the market.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

(No, I don't own any ASP stock!!))

moraino

Enlightened
I was browing Botachtactical website and found they also carry ASP.

There are two TRIAD listed. It's hard to tell the differences between the two by reading discriptions. One lists $55, the other $67.5, I wonder what's missing in $55 light compared to the $68 one?

Is there any ASP owner who can decipher the discriptions?? http://www.botachtactical.com/asptriadflas.html
confused.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Write-rite "beamshaper" fix up the rings in the ASP any? If so, at what cost to brightness and throw? Thanks!

I do agree, BTW, that ASP is just out of their minds in not advertising this light more. I don't know how much they put into development, but from what you guys are saying, textured reflector might make this thing a SureFire killer at the sweet spot of the tactical market.

Joe

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
[QB]
...I believe the higher-priced version contains the "shooting switch," a momentary, non-clickie endswitch that enables activation of the Triad only when depressed. [QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KT,

Very informative, comprehensive post.

Is that ASP "shooting switch" similar to the SF switches? and does it have a "twist constant on" ?

Brightnorm

yclo

Flashaholic*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kogatana:
[QB]Most here are hobbyists looking for the ultimate beam. No criticism here. I'm a member, too. Sometimes I'm here to look for a better mousetrap, too. So far I have not found anything to replace the Triad for my needs. When I go to work, this light is little more than just a tool for me.
QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a good point, I wonder how many people here are non-LEO's and choose a light because it is the sexiest (ahem.. E2....) How many here have only bought lights that they will use, either than lights that they "must have"?

Anyway, long live the CPF motto:
"Get them both!"

YC

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by moraino:

There are two TRIAD listed. It's hard to tell the differences between the two by reading discriptions. One lists $55, the other $67.5, I wonder what's missing in $55 light compared to the $68 one?

Is there any ASP owner who can decipher the discriptions??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moraino,

It is indeed confusing. If Kogatana doesn't weigh in on this why don't you contact Botach?

web page

Hopefully they will clarify the issue. Bear in mind however that Flashaholics have had mixed results with this dealer, leading many of us to withold further contact. This isn't to say that your experience will necessarily be negative, but just to give you some perspective.

If you do call, make sure you get the new tailcap which can hold an extra lamp.

Best regards,
Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[qb]...The shooting switch is just like the switch you likely have on yours except that it doesn't 'click' and stay in the ON position. It is not like the Surefire product where it has the 'twist constant on' position...
[qb]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, KT

BN

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
KT,
Quote: "While a turbohead Surefire product will output more light and a narrow beam, none of them will have as tight a beam as the Triad. This translates to greater throw."

You mean that the Triad will have a longer throw than even a SF 2-cell with a Turbohead ?
Or even a 3-cell ?

lightlover

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
KT,
Quote: "While a turbohead Surefire product will output more light and a narrow beam, none of them will have as tight a beam as the Triad. This translates to greater throw."

You mean that the Triad will have a longer throw than even a SF 2-cell with a Turbohead ?
Or even a 3-cell ?

lightlover
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he is referring to the standard throw of those lights, without the turbohead.

Actually, my 6P with that disappointing KT2 turbohead barely out-throws my ASP. But if I substitute my "old fashioned" 3" turbo it's a whole 'nother ballgame: tight and far!

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
My 9P/T2 combination will throw the spot longer due to the larger reflector and higher amount of light, but the spot is larger. In foggy conditions or in some situations where there is ambient light, that spot that the 9P/T2 creates blends in with the ambient light and the effect becomes negated. The Triad just pierces the darkness (with or without ambient light) better.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KT,

Do you find any difference between the new Triad lamp and the original "Taclite" lamp?

Brightnorm

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:

KT,

Do you find any difference between the new Triad lamp and the original "Taclite" lamp?

Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yea and if you don't mind while you are at it i went to a leo supply store and they had Four differnet types of this triad. they had triad I, Triad II, taclite I and taclite
II which one is the best? Is the tac lite the old or new model? I am guesing that the only difference is the switch...

moraino

Enlightened
The new "teardrop" bulb allows a tighter focus. At one time, I installed a Brinkman Legend LX bulb in my Taclite as that one was brighter. I also stated that I would not go back to the original, round ASP bulb. Well, I never did. After installing the new ASP teardrop version, I stayed with it. I bought numerous spares.

I do believe that the difference between the Taclite and Triad involve different switches and bulb, the rest of the components are the same. This is good for those that have owned one for several years and need replacement components.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

KT,

I finally got my ASP. It's a very SOLID little light, thought a little heavy.

First, the bulb that comes with it is the round one, not very bright. About the same as Q40. Luckily I also purchased a spare bulb which is the teardrop one which is about the same as Scorpions.

Second, it's focus is adjusted externally thus quite different from the one you have. Upon the first examination, the inside of reflector is full of lint that I have to blow it out. The things appear distorted when you see thru the lens.

I took it out at night to try it out and it's brighter than my 4C Mag light with NiCad and HPR50. I can see the light beam shoot out to the trees far away. That's what I was looking for.

Basically it does what I want. But the biggest problem with this light is the light socket. The bulb doesn't stay in it. I prefer the Scorpion bulb because it gives rounder beam but the pins are a bit short. The teardrop bulb of ASP has longer pins but still it won't stay in the socket.

Do you have any idea whether it's a defect or..., I gave it a very light swing and it's out. I did press the bulb all the way in and you can feel it is VERY loose.

Henry

brightnorm

Flashaholic

.....I finally got my ASP. It's a very SOLID....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

moraino,

The Asp is my EDC. Did you get yours at Tanners? If not, can you please give me the source?

Many thanks.

Brightnorm