Want to build 1D M@g multi XR-e.... what do i need

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Hi all,
I want to build a multi xr-e m@g mod in 1D form using 6 or 7 cree running from a D nimih cell. Just unsure of the parts needed and if it will work.

1. I fugure that 6 cree's at 1 watt ea should pull roughly 5.5A, 2 watts ea is 11A. Is this too much for a 1D 12000mah cell?

2. reflectors or optics

3. what driver and heatsink...

I want this to be variable brightness either by dial or software aka flupic etc.

Please suggest away.

Timson

Enlightened
IxD cell at 1.2v is way too little voltage.
Most boost circuits need at least 2.5V to operate.

For that many emitters you'd need to go with Li-ion cells.

Best I can think of would be to have a quad bored 1D Mag and a custom Fivemega/Modamag holder with 4x17500 Li-Ion cells.

You'd probably probably need to use 2 driver boards too. Even the Max flex can only boost to 24v, but it can't do it from 1.2v

Check out the following link for some inspiration:

Mac's 7 Cree Mag

The reflectors to use are the McR17XR
For the heatsink - with that many emitters - You'd need to make your own - I don't know of anyone producing one.
Modamag has a 'quad' emitter sink in the pipeline.

Good luck,

Tim

Led_Blind

Enlightened
Timson,
thanks i will check it out. I remember seeing a converter somewhere that would start up at .8 or .9 volts wich is perfect. Just cannot remember it.

I basically want a stunner, lots of leds at lower power make much more light than one at 1.5A. Also needed is looooong runtime and commonly avaliable cells.

2D might be the best here?!?! Not to sure...

Timson

Enlightened
Led_Blind said:
Timson,
thanks i will check it out. I remember seeing a converter somewhere that would start up at .8 or .9 volts wich is perfect. Just cannot remember it.

If you can find a converter that can boost from under 1.2v to over 24v, whilst supplying 2.5A to 7 emitters (Appx 350ma ea) then please tell us about it. :popcorn:

Tim.