Look what I got today.

mhubble

Enlightened
Look what I got in the mail today!!!!! The three lights on the right are the 10.00 1 watt AA. Not much to talk about. Very dim Light.
The one on the far left is the MINI-PALM - VERY BRIGHT,and alot smaller than your normal 1 WATT AA Light. Cant get to the head but the switch is totally different. Its a real clicky. Youve got momentary, then ON/OFF.
The second one from the left is the PALM BLAZE...and boy does it ever. The brightest 3 watt light Ive ever seen. Its uses the K2. This light is ALOT brighter than the MAXSTAR 5. Cant get to head of it either. This one also has a real clicky. Momentary then ON/OFF. Uses two cr123 batteries. Theyll be a link at the bottom of this page to tell you where to get these. Ill be doing run time test later. Ill post them when Im done.So far Im very impressed with the PALM BLAZE AND THE MINI PALM.
pc150001zg2.jpg

PALM BLAZE
pc150003hp3.jpg

Different kind of lens on both.
pc150007vh5.jpg

This is the beam from the Mini Palm in a dark basement at about 8 feet.
pc150010sl7.jpg

This is the beam from the PALM BLAZE in a dark basement at about 8 feet. Note the SQUARE BEAM from the K2.
pc150009fr3.jpg

THE PALM BLAZE switch.
pc150012aw3.jpg

The MINI PALM switch.
pc150011kz4.jpg

Side by side comparison of size with the Mini Palm and the Ultrafire WF602A1.
pc150014iz7.jpg

The MINIPALM is 24.99 and the PALM BLAZE is 39.99.

You can find all these lights here.
http://www.goldengadgets.com/index.php?cName=led-flashlights-highpower-leds

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty cool,how does the mini palm compare to jet ot lightflux?Also will the palm blaze take a 18650 lion?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, been to Goldengadgets before myself...glanced over the MiniPalm before too...guess I should've take a shot at one. The description is a little confusing though, stating it's a "Luxion III 1 Watt"? Well at 50+ Lumens, I would think that it would be considered a 3 Watt, dunno though and I don't want to play the "numbers game" here. Looks interesting though....I wonder if the Palm Blaze can use rechargeable 123 batteries...

mhubble

Enlightened
Pretty cool,how does the mini palm compare to jet ot lightflux?Also will the palm blaze take a 18650 lion?

I cant compare them, never had a jet or lightflux. Ive had ultrafire,fenix and nuwai and the mini palm is alot brighter than any of those. Dont know about the 18650 lion.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Momentary... Nice. Wish this had been out when I bought the Fenix L1P.

Do you have any other bright lights to compare the Palm Blaze to? I saw the Blaze elsewhere recently.:thinking:

How long did shippng take?

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Optics huh? Interesting. Too bad it's not a reflector though...

Whats the current draw from the battery? Runtime? :)

mhubble

Enlightened
Do you have any other bright lights to compare the Palm Blaze to? I saw the Blaze elsewhere recently.
thinking.gif

The Blaze is ALOT brighter than the K2 MAXSTAR 5 I recently put in a 5 c Maglite.

Havent had time to do any measuring or runtimes. Il post them later tonight.

mhubble

Enlightened
Some runtimes are in.

Ive run the mini palm for two 30 min runs. Total of 1 hour. Gets warm but not hot. After 1 hour its dropped to about 60% brightness.
EDIT - Ran the mini palm for another 15 min, dropped to about 50% brightness. Still comes back on though.

Now the Palm blaze is another story. After 15 min this light gets so hot you cant hold it. But damn its bright. ALOT BRIGHTER THAN MY MAXSTAR5 IN A 5 C CELL MAGLITE. The PALMBLAZE has amazing throw too. Maybe not quite as good as the MAXSTAR5. Out to about 50 yards its as good if not better than the maxstar.

Now heres the part I dont understand. The light I got is called the PALM BLAZE. The light I orderd is actually called the PALM STREAM. Looks just like what I got except mine has a orange tailcap instead of red. And mine is more of a gloss black instead of matte. I emailed GOLDENGAGETS about it. No reply yet. They are not very good about answering emails.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, interesting lights. I happen to like optics, you get a much bigger hotspot and spill is not always desireable, like if you are peeking through tree limbs or out of a car at something far away.

mhubble said:
Now here's the part I dont understand. The light I got is called the PALM BLAZE. The light I orderd is actually called the PALM STREAM. Looks just like what I got except mine has a orange tailcap instead of red. And mine is more of a gloss black instead of matte.

Like with the Surefire U2 picture they have up now, they put up a picture of the prototype, then the factory goes ahead and ships whatever the final product is. It's a fast paced business world anymore. I bet at the end, they thought better of using "Stream" in the name just in case Streamlight might say something.

Last edited:

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
mhubble said:
Some runtimes are in.

Ive run the mini palm for two 30 min runs. Total of 1 hour. Gets warm but not hot. After 1 hour its dropped to about 60% brightness.
EDIT - Ran the mini palm for another 15 min, dropped to about 50% brightness. Still comes back on though.

Now the Palm blaze is another story. After 15 min this light gets so hot you cant hold it. But damn its bright. ALOT BRIGHTER THAN MY MAXSTAR5 IN A 5 C CELL MAGLITE. The PALMBLAZE has amazing throw too. Maybe not quite as good as the MAXSTAR5. Out to about 50 yards its as good if not better than the maxstar.

To each his own. Really bright lights aren't my thing, I prefer a good runtime.

Just wanted to say, I consider it a serious design flaw for a light to get too hot to handle after 15 minutes. And I doubt the LED will last long at those temps.

mhubble

Enlightened
I consider it a serious design flaw for a light to get too hot to handle after 15 minutes.

I agree completely. The light is not going to do anybody any good if you cant hold on to it. But damn this thing is BRIGHT. It would make a great weapons mounted light. Not sure about the run time though. The web site says 1.5 hours.

x2x3x2

Banned
The site says the blaze is brighter than anything else out now.. wonder if it can out throw SLPP 3C, would definitely get one if it does. Someone with the means to do some proper tests should try getting a hold of this light :) at $40, its a little steep to buy and "test out"..

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have samples of both the minipalm and the blaze. I ordered the blaze and am expecting them to land in about a week. I skipped the minipalms because we already have a light that retails at a similar price and outperforms it. The switch you're describing is typically referred to here as a reverse clickly.

The Blaze is very bright but I don't think the throw is particularly impressive - hardly what I'd call amazing and I expect more experience reviewers will find the same; an excellent mid-range light. I already did some runtime testing but that data's at the office and I'm posting from home IIRC it was full output for about an 1 hour than about 6-7 hours of 'useful' light. The Blaze is a K2 running at 5W+. It definitely get's REALLY hot. The lense is a collimator.

mhubble - it's not necessarily brighter than a MaxStar5 - it's all hot spot with no flood where the MaxStar is spreading it's lumens over a much wider area. Looks impressive on a wall but in real world applications these tight hot spot lights aren't as user friendly as a light that lets you light, for example, the trail ahead AND the ground at your feet.

mhubble

Enlightened
Thanks for the info Matt. I think Ill wait till you get some of the BLAZE in before I order another one. Since I cant get Goldengadgets to answer emails. Do you know if you are getting the BLAZE or the STREAM?

mhubble - it's not necessarily brighter than a MaxStar5 - it's all hot spot with no flood where the MaxStar is spreading it's lumens over a much wider area. Looks impressive on a wall but in real world applications these tight hot spot lights aren't as user friendly as a light that lets you light, for example, the trail ahead AND the ground at your feet.

Youre right the BLAZE is all hot spot with no spill....but the hot spot is alot bigger and brighter than the Maxstar 5 at a distance from 5 to 75 feet. Which for me is the trail ahead and the ground at my feet. Now past that the MAXSTAR 5 definetly out shines it. As soon as I get my aluminum reflector I think all that will change though. I hope so anyway.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
mhubble - We've got the PalmBlaze version, in stock now it's the exact same item you got. It looks like Golden and I have the same idiot MFR since my sample read PalmStream and we got PalmBlaze - but whatevah, they're seriously badas5 IMHO!

I'm seriously in love with the PalmBlaze like I was for a long time with my L4. It's just so damned impressive - I've never seen an LED with a hotpsot flood like this that wasn't some sick multi-LED canon.

Did you look inside the MiniPalm you got? I got the sample and I was like WTF - it was supposed to be a Luxeon emitter but it's not - it's a Nichia - which is fine but I already sell a basically identical light for $10 less http://www.batteryjunction.com/nichia.html and a far brighter one for about the same with a real Luxeon emitter http://www.batteryjunction.com/wf602a1.html - with an option for HAIII that I did thinking specifically of the CPF folks.

Don't forget, when you do order, to use the cpf2006 coupon. :)