Does anyone own a Fenix LOD?

UK Dazzler

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I have a Fenix LOD on the way to me as I write. I haven't heard much speak about this flashlight on the forums as i understand it's relatively new. Does anyone own one of these who would like to share their thoughts? :)

Best Regards

C.

Robban

Enlightened
I'm sorry but this is hilarious to me. You've ordered the light and now, a few days before you get it, you want opinions on it? Isn't that a bit late?

And yes, it's very new.

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Sorry I can't provide any input, except to say that I want one too! I think you'll like it a lot, from what I've read of these. I own 2 Fenix lights and love them both.

carrot

Flashaholic
I have the Fenix L0P SE and P1D CE. So, if I combine my two experiences with said lights I could make a gander at what the L0D might be like. I, as well have an L0D on the way, only, this one's for a gift.

The L0D is very much like a non-PWM L0P-SE. This makes it better. No crazy strobe effects. Primary (medium) level is useful for most tasks so you won't find yourself fidgeting with the light much. High and low are accessible with just a few twists. I don't like the strobe and SOS features, but I figure if I need it, I'll be glad to have it.

Construction should be very solid and it's slim enough to hide in pockets. You're gonna love it.

lightningbug

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I have two L0-Ti's. They use a different emitter than the L0D, but otherwise similar. They're an outstanding example of today's technology-using a common battery to achieve excellent brightness, great beam characteristics, multiple brightness levels, and two digital emergency modes.......all the same as the L0D. However, they won't use 3.6v(3.7) Li-ion rechargeables. I look forward to receiving the L0D I ordered as well, but mostly to use with Li-ion batteries. I think you'll be more than satisfied with it.

UK Dazzler

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your reply's:)

Robban said:
I'm sorry but this is hilarious to me. You've ordered the light and now, a few days before you get it, you want opinions on it? Isn't that a bit late?

And yes, it's very new.

I have read such good reviews of the LOP, LOP se, and LOP-Ti that i thought that opting for an LOD would be a safe bet because it has the same build structure as the previous models. Also it has a LUX III emitter as opposed to a LUX I and an input voltage of 3.7v as opposed to 1.7v and no PWM for dimming, i think it's done by current limiting. I plan to use the 3.7v lithium ion battery with it also,so it should be a little brighter than advertised on this cell. It will be used with caution of course but i think the internal resistance of the small 10440 320mAh cell should prevent the emitter from frying anyway i think.

I just wanted to see if anyone had recieved theirs yet as this light hasen't really been discussed on the forums.

Best Wishes

C.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
My P1D CE doesn't change brightness levels when using a 3.7v Li-ion. I figure the same might be the case with the L0D, but maybe not.

UK Dazzler

Newly Enlightened
carrot said:
My P1D CE doesn't change brightness levels when using a 3.7v Li-ion. I figure the same might be the case with the L0D, but maybe not.

Mmmm interesting, I'll let you know as soon as I get the light and the cells. are your cells hot off the charger? Does the P1D CE fall back into regulation as the cell voltage drops. I wonder if both lights have the same electronics inside?

Best Regards

C.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
carrot said:
The L0D is very much like a non-PWM L0P-SE. This makes it better. No crazy strobe effects. Primary (medium) level is useful for most tasks so you won't find yourself fidgeting with the light much. High and low are accessible with just a few twists. I don't like the strobe and SOS features, but I figure if I need it, I'll be glad to have it.

I just got my L0D today. It's a massive improvement over my L0P, that's for sure - it's as bright on medium as my L0P (maybe I have a dud L0P).

Sorry to disappoint Carrot, but it's definitely PWM, and at a lower and more noticeable frequency than my HDS. On low mode, which is a good level for reading at night, you can notice it when your eyes flick over the page.

Here's my brief take on the L0D

Looks and build quality: essentially exactly the same look and feel as the L0P. The head is harder to turn though.

Beam: warmer white than L0P, nice artifact free beam (compared to P1D-CE :))

Modes: Medium (12lm) -> Low (4.5lm) -> High (30lm) -> Strobe ->SOS. I reckon Fenix might actually be almost accurate with these quoted brightness figures! The strobe is very strobey (~5Hz, medium brightness) and great for a bike or visibility. SOS is the usual too slow to be really useful (certainly doesn't conform to international standard for SOS).

Basically I'm pretty impressed with my L0D. The noticeable PWM flicker is its only slight detraction. It has relegated my L0P to my wife's keyring.

Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure you will find the torch to be excellent. I have a LOP SE and an LO-Ti and love them both. The LOD is the same brightness of the LOP SE but with the extra modes of the LO-Ti plus there is the 10440 factor.

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
gadgetnerd said:
Here's a (blurry) screenshot of the L0D PWM effect with the torch on low.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~twallis/misc/l0d-pwm.jpg

I just opened the camera shutter and waved my arm down (not particularly rapidly) whilst holding the torch. If that's current regulated then I'll eat the torch :)

PWM?
What is that?
What is the purpose?:thinking:

Amadeus93

Newly Enlightened
The L0D uses a Luxeon III and has strobe and SOS modes in addition to Medium-Low-High, whereas the L0P-SE uses a Luxeon I and only has Medium-Low-High modes.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
l1s125 wrote: "PWM???? so how is the L0D different from the L0P-SE?"

I have a L0P-SE (mod with UWAJ)
and on temporary loan both a L0D and L0-Ti -

The L0D has 5 modes of lighting - the first 3 are the same as the L0P-SE
medium (default/primary), low and High
then in addition Strobe and SOS.

The L0D (and L0-Ti) are PWM on medium and low -
I can see the pulsing if I wave something in front of the light,
or simply wave the light.

The L0D is also a T-bin LuxIII as opposed to spec'd R-bin Lux1 in the L0P-SE

from Fenix Digital L0D at Fenix-Store.com
"Uses a T-binned Luxeon III LED with a life of 100,000 hours
Five output types: 12 Lumens(3.5hrs) -> 4.5 Lumens(8.5hrs) -> 30 Lumens(1hrs) ->Strobe -> SOS"

Fenix L0P *Special Edition* at Fenix-Store.com
"Uses a 1-watt R-binned Luxeon LED with a life of 100,000 hours
3 Stages of Brightness: 12 Lumens -> 4.5 Lumens -> 30 Lumens"

The L0-Ti - is different, other than the obvious Titanium,
in that it uses a premium SW0H Lux1 emitter -
otherwise operationally it works the same as the L0D.

Fenix L0-Ti Titanium at LightHound.com
"Uses a 1-watt SW0HW-binned Luxeon LED with a life of 100,000 hours
Five output types: 16 Lumens (3.5hrs)-> 6 Lumens (8.5hrs)-> 40 Lumens (1hrs)-> Strobe-> SOS"