McR27XR Titanium head for the Pi

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will see two photos that show a spacer washer...This is sandwiched between the LE and the reflector...It allows proper focusing of the led, and is a dead-stop for the LE...You can crank the LE as tight as you prefer, and the focus will not be affected. For E-series compatability, and by design of the reflector and LE, this spacer is necessary.

The spacer also bridges the gap between the LE and the reflector, creating a thermo path to the reflector...The chamfer side of the washer mates to the base of the reflector, and the flat side of the washer bears against the can, of the LE. This spacer washer could be permanently attached to the reflector base, or the LE can, with some thermo epoxy...Not bad idea for a Titanium head.

I hope you like it...

TB

Last edited:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven`t seen a Ti Pi that looked better!:goodjob:

Your spacer is much nicer than the pieces of plastic I cut out real quick and shoved in mine.:eek: But it works.:grin2:

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand exactly what the ring does and the need for it.
The LE moving forward on tightening the battery tube was a frustration in my Aleph II.
However correct me if I am wrong, but your ring will only fit a modified head and reflector??

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anglepoise said:
I understand exactly what the ring does and the need for it.
The LE moving forward on tightening the battery tube was a frustration in my Aleph II.
However correct me if I am wrong, but your ring will only fit a modified head and reflector??
The spacer is just for the 27XR reflector...

If you use a standard LE with a 27L, the reflector bears against the emitter, and the dome is inside the small opening in the reflector.

27XR/Cree LE is a different config. all together...The LE need something to tighten against.

The spacer fits the McR27XR...I purchased the reflectors from the Shoppe, they're not modified 27L's.

Hope this helps,

TB

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's plenty of room for a similar filler piece/spacer with the 27L reflector also...With a Ti head it's not a bad idea to transfer heat to that big reflector. The ring could be epoxied to the LE E-screw, and thermo greased to the reflector.

You would still be able to remove the LE, and if you thermo greased between the ring and the reflector, the grease would be high enough on the chamfer of the reflector that grease contamination of the inside shouldn't be an issue.

Damn...now I gotta go make one for my 27L head...;)

TB

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez...the more I think about it, this my be a very good solution for unloading some of the heat from the LE, on a Ti head, that is...

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
TranquillityBase said:
The spacer also bridges the gap between the LE and the reflector, creating a thermo path to the reflector...The chamfer side of the washer mates to the base of the reflector, and the flat side of the washer bears against the can, of the LE. This spacer washer could be permanently attached to the reflector base, or the LE can, with some thermo epoxy...Not bad idea for a Titanium head.

It works perfectly!! Thanks Scott!