Kroma Tail Switch Failure

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
Ok so I'm leaving the USA in about 11 hours and will be gone for months and the push button on my Kroma tailcap switch has failed several times tonight leaving it as a twisty only for reliable function.

I'm leaving this light at home now and will take two Surefire A2's instead.

Needless to say I'm a bit annoyed with this and it will be at least four months before I can send it to Surefire for repair or replacement.

Might not have net access but I'll check this thread again in a few months to see if anyone else is posting the same problem.

Richard

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm sorry that there was not sufficient time for you to discover this issue you are experiencing prior to your trip and actually be able to arrange return of your Kroma prior to leaving on your trip.

I don't know where you are going but I guess you're sure there won't be any means of sending your Kroma back to SureFire whilst you are there(?)

You are right to try out your tools and equipment prior to using them for real. It is also good planning that you have backup options.

Al

greenLED

Flashaholic
Have a friend or family call SF, get you a replacement tailcap and mail it to where you're going.

Safe travels! :buddies:

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Richard, Surefire sent me a replacement tailcap for my Kroma no questions asked after I told them it was necessary to press way to hard to get it to light. Take the light with you, give them the address to ship to and I'll bet they will just replace it for you.

dchao

Enlightened
LED61 said:
Richard, Surefire sent me a replacement tailcap for my Kroma no questions asked after I told them it was necessary to press way to hard to get it to light. Take the light with you, give them the address to ship to and I'll bet they will just replace it for you.
Is the new tail cap easier to press? My tailcap is on the hard side (from the spring tension), I wouldn't mind try my luck on a new one if it's going to be softer.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shoot them a call or email so I will be here on travel my kroma's tailcap has a non functioning push botton. ANd they should ship you out a new one.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast
dchao said:
Is the new tail cap easier to press? My tailcap is on the hard side (from the spring tension), I wouldn't mind try my luck on a new one if it's going to be softer.

dchao, the new tailcap is definitely easier. IMHO, the Kroma tailcap pushbutton has a slim window of operation, unlike say, my M6 where the LOTC has a mark and in order to get there you unscrew quite a bit from constant on. The Kroma has to be unscrewed from constant on just right and only a little for the button to work.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear your story. I'm also in the same boat with a faulty Surefire LED light (a U2). Except mine's not the tailcap, something's wrong in the head.

My old edict when travelling to remote places was to carry at least one incandescent light with at least one spare lamp. Until I shake my gun-shyness over LED lights, looks like I'm exclusively an incan boy.

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
I'm in Australia at the moment. I would have mailed the light back to SF before leaving but the failure occurred the night before leaving and I had to be out of the house before sunrise the next morning.

One thing I did notice since going back to a pair of A2 Aviators is how much better the A2's beam is at actually enabling you to see and identify things, which makes me wish that SF would build something similar to a cross between an A2 and a Kroma with red white and blue low flood beams and an incandescent high beam.

Richard