Happy Guy Fawkes Day

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
To our UK friends. Have a good time and be careful with the fireworks.
Give a penny to Guy for me.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Guy Fawkes Day is celebrated every 5th Nov to mark the anniversary of the attempt of a group of Catholic dissidents to blow up the Houses of Parliament with gunpowder. Legend has it that Guy (properly called Guido Fawkes) was burnt on a bonfire following his conviction for high treason.
The incident has gone into history as "The Gunpowder Plot" and has entered the folklore of our country. Ever since hat failed attempt, effigies of Guy Fawkes are burnt on a bonfire every Nov 5th. The festival went to include fireworks because the earlist fireworks used and contained gunpowder and is a reminder of the gunpowder used in the plot.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...

So are you celebrating the death of a terrorist or that he almost succeeded?

Mark

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Minjin:
Hmmm...

So are you celebrating the death of a terrorist or that he almost succeeded?

Mark
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well...I would say that it is a celebration of the execution of Guy Fawkes. The departed Mr. Fawkes was allegedly burnt at the stake and it is my understanding that the English use fireworks to symbolize said fire.

Dan

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Wits' End:
PercaDan if I have my geography and history right do you ever shoot a British pig?
Here's history pig war
And I think San Juan is in Puget Sound area.

Just thought this tied in with unusual celebrations.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can't say that I have, but I have been to the oppossing camps on San Juan Island. You have to remember that the establishment of the current U.S.-Canadian border came out of this conflict.

Dan