Surefire beam diffuser question.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Surefire 8X that has recently become my primary night shift light. Im looking for some info on a beam diffuser for it. The bezel measures 1"3/8 (35mm). Now SF states that the FM34 fits 1.25" (32mm), thats only 2mm smaller than what I need. Would the cam lock be able to close down all the way? Now SF also lists the FM64 as the proper item for the 8AX, fitting 1.47" (37mm) bezels, I cant really see the FM64 clamping down to 1"3/8. If anyone has the above items to test out, that would be nice. Any info is appreciated.

FM34 fits: 6P, 9P, G2, G2Z, Z2, C2, C3

FM64 fits: M2, U2, L5, L7, 8AX/NX, Kroma

F64(discontinued) is supposed to fit the 8X

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned a couple Surefire diffusers. They're designed for a specific bezel diameter and can't adjust very far plus or minus. Even when I used Surefire's 41mm BeamShaper on my 41mm Stinger head, the fit was tight because of different tolerances.

As a Wolf Eyes user, I sympathize. None of my wolf Eyes heads--36mm, 42mm, or 45mm--can accept any brand of traffic cone. So I wrap the head in friction tape or electrical tape until it's wide enough to accept a larger cone. If you find the "Wolf Eyes Lego" thread in the Incandescents forum, you'll see a photo of two or three such wrapped heads, including the 45mm head wrapped with tape to accept a 51mm Mag traffic cone.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear ya Paul. Its hard wanting to buy something when you cant handle it physically. I can easily make up a couple of mm's with a custom sleeve.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured the bezel with calipers, then cross referenced it on a ruler. I thought the bezel would measure the same as an 8AX, SF lists the bezel at 1.47" Do you have one handy to measure Size15's?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Nope - I don't. Sorry. I know the 8AX/8NX/L7 bezel diameter is the same as the M2 bezel diameter.

I assumed the 8X was the same since the 9N and 9AN diameter is the same and the 8X bezel is interchangeable with the modern versions. Perhaps you're right and it isn't :(

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool thanks Stingray. Looks like that F64 is sitting in the back room at Lighthound, its not even listed under any category. I better grab one while I can.