KL6 head on a SF M6

bhj1

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking seriously about getting a KL6 LED head to put on my M6. Has any one else done this, and if so is there any lumen output/runtime info out there?

I recently put a KL5 head on a 9P with A19 extender and it works great. I made sure to call SF techs first to make sure the KL5 LED could handle the extra power from the 4th cell. They emphatically said yes, no problem at all. They were sooo right, the light output is awesome. I have yet to do any official runtime tests, but will do some in the near future. Don't have a light meter so I'm not sure about the output, but it's plenty bright.

Looking forward to putting the KL6 on my M6. I suspect the output will not be great, but the runtime should really rock. Thanks for any info on this.

Bill

Arcoholic

Enlightened
Kl6 on the M6 works like a charm.
It is really cool once you drain the 123`s with your incan.HOLA and then you can really suck em dry with a KL6.
I have never done a runtime test but i think math wil do the trick.
Let me know if you are looking for a KL6.

Cheers

David

BBL

Enlightened
you are running the KL5 on 4 cells? I cant imagine this is inside spec...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Some Kl5's run ok and show good regulation with three CR123's. My recent purchased new KL5 does not do well with three CR123's and is in serious overdrive, as measured by current and bounce. The KL5 has a boost circuit, and if the forward voltage is fairly high the third CR123 cell will allow the circuit to run in regulation particularly when some of the voltage has dropped. Four CR123's running a KL5 is nonsense and will always overdrive the circuit. Light output will be very bright, probably more than 2X as bright, and the head of the the KL5 will become unbearably hot in a few minutes. Not the way I will run my KL5. Buy a lightmeter, and DMM.

Bill

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow kl5 on 4 cells:sweat: i would definatly watch that cuz if its starts to do wierd thing i would take it off, but on the + side you would have somthing like 4 hours of flat regulation, that would be pretty cool

but if you would put a kl3 head on it you might get like 8 hours of flat regultation.

please let us know how the kl5 handles the volts.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I present again, KL6 head modified with a Cree for use as an M6 LOLA. Four hours give or take in regulation. It's very FUGLY :D but functional. The KL6 with a Lux V is out dated in my opinion.

IMG_8827.jpg

Some comparison beam shots.
Here's a U2 (remember, it's on high)
IMG_8814.jpg

Here's the Cree'd KL6 (WG-P2 bin, P4's with 20% more output are now easily obtainable)
IMG_8815.jpg