Rechargeable Batteries Compared

FrdPrefct

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
I'm looking for a comparison or confirmation on quality of batteries.

I've been told, that the Maha Powerex 2700 mAh batteries are the best
Sanyo 2700 mAh batteries are also supposed to be up there.
There are a couple makers of 2900 mAh batteries too.

However, All-battery.com only offers their "Tenergy 2600" battery. Which, by is mAh listing, would indicate that it doesn't last as long as the batteries
mentioned above, however, quality could come into play and they actually
hold charges better.

At any rate, can anyone let me know if they've tried these batteries, and
what they think. Are the above batteries worth the extra cost? The Tenergy
batteries are much cheaper... (about half the price) How would they compare to say, the Energizer batteries you can pick up at Walmart.

This is specifically for my new digital camera - a Canon S3.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Frd

coppertrail

Enlightened
I have one set of Powerex 2700s and 2 sets of Sanyo 2700s. I've been very happy both. Very high capacity and lower self-discharge rate than others I've used.

FrdPrefct

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info!
Do you think the Maha batteries are really worth twice the cost of the 2600 batteries I mentioned?

Thanks,
Frd

Carbo

Newly Enlightened
I'm told that the higher capacity cells also come with higher self discharge rate. My limited experience in this arena has been that the Energizer 2500 AA's were flat out awful for my needs. I have now just purchased a dozen Eneloops. We'll see how that goes.

coppertrail

Enlightened
FrdPrefct said:
Thanks for the info!
Do you think the Maha batteries are really worth twice the cost of the 2600 batteries I mentioned?

Thanks,
Frd
I concur with Carbo. The self-discharge rates in my Energizer 2500s is very high compared to my Sanyo and Powerex 2700 cells. And yes, the higher rate cells can have a higher self-discharge rate due to the thinner separator, but my 2700s have a much slower self-discharge rate than my Energizer 2500s. I wouldn't recommend the Tenergy cells.

The cells you choose also depends on your usage. If you use your camera/device twice a month, and you don't want to have to "top them off" beofre each use, consider Eneloop cells. I've replaced my 2700 cells with Eneloops in my cameras and have seen good results. Although the capacity isn't as high, it's nice putting my camera down for 2 weeks, picking it up, and still seeing a full charge. I don't take hundreds of pictures per day, or even per week, when I'm @ home.

Now, if I were going to a trip and planned on taking alot of pictures, I would use my 2700 cells, as they have higher capacity. I wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice when I needed it.

Carbo

Newly Enlightened
coppertrail said:
I concur with Carbo. The self-discharge rates in my Energizer 2500s is very high compared to my Sanyo and Powerex 2700 cells. And yes, the higher rate cells can have a higher self-discharge rate due to the thinner separator, but my 2700s have a much slower self-discharge rate than my Energizer 2500s. I wouldn't recommend the Tenergy cells.

The cells you choose also depends on your usage. If you use your camera/device twice a month, and you don't want to have to "top them off" beofre each use, consider Eneloop cells. I've replaced my 2700 cells with Eneloops in my cameras and have seen good results. Although the capacity isn't as high, it's nice putting my camera down for 2 weeks, picking it up, and still seeing a full charge. I don't take hundreds of pictures per day, or even per week, when I'm @ home.

Now, if I were going to a trip and planned on taking alot of pictures, I would use my 2700 cells, as they have higher capacity. I wouldn't have to worry about running out of juice when I needed it.
That's exactly how I use my cells and camera. It sits for weeks unused. Then, that shot of a lifetime appears for me to make my millions with. And what happens?! My Energizers are comatose, even after having been charged fully but two days ago! :thumbsdow
I need batteries that can be put on the shelf for three or four weeks and then be ready when I am.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I picked up a set of Hybrios as well. I'm not as impressed with them. I put 2 (fully charged) in my old Sony Camera, and the next day the battery status showed half full after taking only 10 shots or so. I took about 200 shots with the Eneloops before the half full indicator came on. I also use Eneloops in some of my AA LED flashlights.

coppertrail

Enlightened
I've read posts where folks mentioned that they have high self-discharge rates and don't own up to their advertised capacity. I don't own any of their cells.

FrdPrefct

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for posts regarding those statements. Do you have any URL's I can look at?

In short, though, you feel that spending ~2times the price for the Sanyo or Powerex 2700 batteries are money better spent? Which do you seem to find better? What's "best" from what you've seen? And, do you have a good supplier for each battery?

As a quick refresher, the main use is going to be for my Digital Camera (Canon S3).

Thanks,
Frd

not2bright

Enlightened
FrdPrefct said:
I've been looking for posts regarding those statements. Do you have any URL's I can look at?

In short, though, you feel that spending ~2times the price for the Sanyo or Powerex 2700 batteries are money better spent? Which do you seem to find better? What's "best" from what you've seen? And, do you have a good supplier for each battery?

As a quick refresher, the main use is going to be for my Digital Camera (Canon S3).

Thanks,
Frd

Frd, if you are serious about a picture making you some serious money I would invest in the best possible cells. If the material you shoot is that important I might suggest that you go for lithium primary AA rather than rechargeables. I wouldn't want to miss a $1000 picture because I saved $8 on cells.

If your camera does sit for 3-4 weeks or longer between uses you should take a look at the Sanyo eneloop or the Ray-O-Vac equivelent from Wally World. These have a bit lower capacity but will hold a charge for many months.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Coppertrail,

The reason I asked is because there is some extended and intensive testing going on with the Tenergy 2300 mAh cells and it looks like they are nearly as good as the Titanium 2400 mAh cells.

They are showing good voltage retention under load, and low self discharge rates.

I just bought some to check out, but haven't gotten around to testing them yet.

Tom

coppertrail

Enlightened
SilverFox said:
Hello Coppertrail,

The reason I asked is because there is some extended and intensive testing going on with the Tenergy 2300 mAh cells and it looks like they are nearly as good as the Titanium 2400 mAh cells.

They are showing good voltage retention under load, and low self discharge rates.

I just bought some to check out, but haven't gotten around to testing them yet.

Tom
Thanks Tom, I was not aware of this. The comments that I read on the Tenergy cells were with their lower capacity cells some time ago. I'll definitely give this a look.

FrdPrefct

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a bunch guys.
I think, overall, I should just go with the "better" cells. Do you know/have a good distributer for the Powerex 2700 or Sanyo 2700? More interested in good prices rather then quick shipping :).

FYI - After you fully charge batteries, you can generally stick them in the freezer which will decrease the self discharge rate by slowing down the chemical reaction.

Thanks,
Frd

coppertrail

Enlightened
Fred -

I've only seen the Sanyo cells @ Thomas-Distributing.com I've seen the Powerex cells at TD and Newegg.com. I've received very good service from Thomas-Distributing over the past year.

AndreasB

Newly Enlightened
Anyone tried the 2950/3200 mAh no-name AA cells you can get off ebay.
I'm wondering if they would be a good purchase to put in my 10*AA pack for my new homemade headlamp. The alternative is to go with the Sanyo 2700's but the cost twice as much.

Anyone tried the 2950mAh or 3200 mAh's ?

Regards,
AndreasB

FrdPrefct

Newly Enlightened
I bought a set of the 2900 mah off of Ebay ( I don't see any 2950 or 3200 ). They haven't come in yet, but I'll post what I think of them. They were cheap. Worst case, I use them in the kids toys until they die. I also bought some of the Tenergy, again, same scenario. I bought the Powerex 2700 - which are claimed to be "the best" by Thomas Distributing.

I'll let you know what I think of all cells. Please give me at least 2 weeks to test, as I don't expect them until mid next week.

Thanks!
Ford

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
i purchased some of the 2900 accuPower cells from thomas for my S3, i will let you know. I have been shooting pics since xmass eve with no noticeable drain, ~150 pics.

ken