Will this work or is my logic way off?

harddrive

Enlightened
I have a Falcata 6V and I am considering my rechargable options.

I was thinking of using a Falcata 9V lamp and 2 x 3.6volt Rcr123A cells.

My logic is if 2 x 3.6volt Rcr123A cells will run a Surefire p90 LA in a 6P/G2 etc then my idea should work as well. Am I right or way off? Would I need protected or unprotected cells?

Any other options out there??

Thanks in adavance.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will work . I did it with 3.7 volt protected cells. I used mine quite a bit before the switch failed. I would recommend protected cells only.

Last edited:

harddrive

Enlightened
Thanks James, What sort of run time did you get with this set up? Did you have any trouble fitting the protected cells into the falcata? Its dispointing the switch failed on your falcata. Mine arrived yesterday and the biuld quality feels so good.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
harddrive said:
Thanks James, What sort of run time did you get with this set up? Did you have any trouble fitting the protected cells into the falcata? Its dispointing the switch failed on your falcata. Mine arrived yesterday and the biuld quality feels so good.

Didn't really do any runtime test. No trouble at all fitting protected cells. I got mine from Mark at e-lectronics on CPF.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like James said, it will work. One thing to check just in case tho is the current draw of the Falcata 9V LA. Make sure the current draw doesn't exceed the max current of the R123A cell (which is typically 1.5C). If it does, it will still work, but you'll be reducing the life of the R123A cells. I got some 14500 and 17500 cells from Mark at e-lectronics.net also that I use for 9V LAs (SL and SF) and they work great. I never got 3.7V R123As from him, but I'm sure his would work great. My 3.6V R123As are from Dae which work fine powering 9V LAs also. Dae's latest R123As are thinner (smaller in diameter) than his old ones and fit more lights, in case you're concerned about diameter being a problem.

Good luck. Oh, and I'd also recommend protected cells. If I need light, I don't want to worry about damaging my cells if the light starts to dim. I'd rather it suck the last juice out of the cell safely and let the circuit shut off the cell. It's just safer for both you and your light (and your cells) and takes another thing you'd have to think about away. And most/many of the protected cells nowadays have no problems lighting a xenon lamp on the first tap (I don't have to double tap any of my xenons using any of my Li-Ion cells (14500, 17500, 16340/R123A).