need a good EDC light

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
I know this has been asked a million times, but here it goes again.

I need a light that is as small as possiable, pref 1x 123 cell, able to fit on a keyring, highly water resistant, and about 30-60 mins run time before dimming at least. I dont mind building it if need be. Also should i just wait for cree's to become more avaliable before i do this?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xCR123 lights are sort of big for a keyring. You probably don't want anything bigger than a 1xAAA light, and there are plenty of quality choices. Fenix L0 versions and Fenix E1 come to mind. Lots of performance in a small size for a price from $20 shipped on up.

s23246g

Newly Enlightened
You didn't mention a price range, so i have to assume that you are stinking rich like the rest of us, and money is no object. I just came across this review today, and the cree looks to be an awe inspiring deal. With twice the light, and just as much runtime on a single 123a.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p1d.htm

And here is another that comes highly praised and recommended, but a little more expensive.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/peakled_caribbean.htm

Hope this helps.

Libbs

Newly Enlightened
CR123 lights might be bigger, but arent they much shorter in general?

take the P1D-CE for example, really good output and its not even 3 inches long

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
humm, i like the fenix.... anyone know if its got the 80/lm or 100/lm cree in the ce? if its the 80/lm, should i wait untill the 100/lm is more readily avaliable or are they fairly easy to modify?

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
Hellbore said:
I like the new jetbeam 1AA Cree light... which I ordered.. muahaha...
how is the beam on that. i hear the fenix CE is like a nice powdered doughnut. well not that bad, but it seems to have a hole in the middle. is it as bright as the fenix will be since the cree is under driven?

arty

Enlightened
I have an ARC AAA-P on my keyring, but I also have a Peak Pacific with the CR2 body in my pocket. It is just 2.4 inches long and <.75" in dia. It is in brass. The body is only .7". It is also about $50.

It is much smaller than the PID-ce. It all depends on how much light you think that you need or want.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
a fenix or it may be a little big but a surefire L1 is a great light, four hours on hi with 25 lumens and a dimmer mode with 1.1 lumens for 90 hours.

a truly great light.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
hizzo3 said:
how is the beam on that. i hear the fenix CE is like a nice powdered doughnut. well not that bad, but it seems to have a hole in the middle. is it as bright as the fenix will be since the cree is under driven?

The Jetbeam has an orange peel reflector, so the beam should be nice and smooth...lumens are 40>20>80 (in that order).

CFU

frogs3

Enlightened
hizzo3,

The short answer to your question: wait. Hold onto your wallet and credit card, and let the blessings flow after the SHOT show next week. There will be several manufacturers with a wide range of lights, and DO NOT get sucked into the first ones onto the market.

Try to get some "touch and feel" on the lights after they are in local stores, then start to consider spending some money. If you are too quick on the draw, you will know "buyer's remorse", particularly now that we are on the upswing of a new group of rapidly evolving technologies.

Just my o.o2 lumens.

=Harvey K.

Newuser01

Enlightened
hizzo3 said:
humm, i like the fenix.... anyone know if its got the 80/lm or 100/lm cree in the ce? if its the 80/lm, should i wait untill the 100/lm is more readily avaliable or are they fairly easy to modify?
There are a few folks who are fanatical about their lights complain about the faint rings but most (I dare guess about 90 %) don't even notice it if you are not looking at it on the white wall. But alas I digress!! :grin2:

Any how, If you need it now and fenix' price is in range? I doubt that you will be sorry.

Why don't you get it and see? If you don't like it, one of us will relive you of it in sell forum and you won't loose more than a couple of bucks.:rock::rock::rock:

Regards.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello hizzo3:)

Like others said, go with the Fenix P1D-CE. Very bright, long runtime, good quality, lot of features and nice beam with good throw, nothing to worry about.

Best regards

_____
Tom

partipilo

Newly Enlightened
Fenix L0P on my keychain for high intensity, ARC-P also on keychain for long runtime, and a Fenix P1 in my jeans lighter-pocket at all times for extra light.

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
i think i will wait untill after this shoot site light show thinggy (what is it anyway). I currently have an Inova t3 and love it, but i need something with more floody and compact. The Inova is a great light, but not very easy to carry with everything.

I am not a white wall hunter, ok will i am. but i do realize that is not what makes a good beam or not. But i do not want a flood beam like a maglite where the middle is dark. ya know? run is not an issue as i will soon be getting rcr123 3v (i know bout the 3.7's) for my t3 so getting a few extra batts for my new EDC wont matter.

just curious if anyone has ever made a light to run on button cells? lol like using a chapstick as a body with a cree or luxeon with minimal optic lol.....

partipilo

Newly Enlightened
If youre going to spend $20 on the emitter and regulataion circuit, why stick it in a tube of chapstick? Though, that sounds like a cute idea... Like the people who build Mini-ITX systems in lunchboxes or teddy bears. :)

hizzo3

Newly Enlightened
partipilo said:
If youre going to spend $20 on the emitter and regulataion circuit, why stick it in a tube of chapstick? Though, that sounds like a cute idea... Like the people who build Mini-ITX systems in lunchboxes or teddy bears. :)

to make it as small as possiable. does anyone have a light smaller then 2 inches that puts out 40-80 lms?

carrot

Flashaholic
Sure. My CR2 Ion is smaller than 2 inches and I'm pretty sure it puts out 40 or more lumens. It's about $155 from Fenix-Store.com, I believe.