Cree's brightest LED...

batman

Enlightened
So I take it the brightest single LED now made by Cree, the XR-E (7090), is truly 160 lumens? Or is that number an exageration?

Led_Blind

Enlightened
When at 700mah. Remember these numbers are all at a die temp of 25 C. Put one in a light, factor in thermal, reflector and lens losses and you see 110 to 130 out the front... in rough numbers

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is probably a fair rating at the best of the best conditions ina flashlight with higher than 25C temps expect about 110~130 lumens at whatever drive current that is.

After waiting for busy server I see that Ledblind has beaten me with the exact same numbers...

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that is potentially more impressive however is if you have a multi-level flashlight, you can drive the flashlight at 350mA (about 1 watt power consumption) and it will produce about 80 lumens at ideal conditoins (The Q3 bin, not yet out, is listed as 100lm/W max!). However, since the LED is not being driven as hard, there won't be nearly as much heat production at low output either, so it should be even closer to that spec than the 3 watt/160 lumen output.

The Cree would be an excellent candidate to make a low to moderate output flashlight with extremely long battery life, that could optionally be switched to full power for high output.

Hellbore

Enlightened
2xTrinity said:
The Cree would be an excellent candidate to make a low to moderate output flashlight with extremely long battery life, that could optionally be switched to full power for high output.

I wish someone would make something like this for my 3D Maglite...

Oh wouldn't it be nice when camping and such, to have an 80 lumen output that lasts for many many hours... then with a click, you can switch it over to a blasting bright 160 lumens!