brightest single AA alkaline flashlight

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
They really are the cat's ***. I have four or five of them, I've carried the same SC52 every day for over 12 years. It's been turned on so many times it shouldn't even work anymore
They really are the cat's ***. I have four or five of them, I've carried the same SC52 every day for over 12 years. It's been turned on so many times it shouldn't even work anymore.
Rinspeed are you able to post pictures of your Zebras? I see you've been posting about them consistently for years. I'd love to see them if you're able!

clockwork

Newly Enlightened
~350 Lumen is probably the maximum you can get out of an AA flashlight (without using 14500 lipos). I've played atround with standard alkalines and energizer ultimate lithiums. The alkaline can drive 2,5A but the voltage drops to 0.5V limiting the output to ~1W (after the boost cirquet). The ultimate lithiums can handle the higher current better but at 2,5A they drop down to 1.1 V so ~2,5 W after the boost cirquet (pam2803). They can go higher, but then you'd need a driver that can handle those currents at that low voltage. With i.e. an xpg3 led that woult top out at 350 to 400lm.
If you need momentarry high output but and the option of easy and cheap batteryswaps maybe consider the rovyvpn angle series. They have an internal lipo and an aaa battery compartment for the backup energy source.
Using ultimate lithiums or simmelar is just not cost effective in my opinion.

Rinspeed

Newly Enlightened
Rinspeed are you able to post pictures of your Zebras? I see you've been posting about them consistently for years. I'd love to see them if you're able!

The only pic I have right now is the SC52 but I'll get another one of all of them soon. I have an SC51, SC52, SC600 and SC5. SC5 is still new in the safe as a backup for when the 52 finally dies. I might be gone sooner, who knows. :) Once you learn the UI they really are awesome little lights. Like a lot of others here I have way too many lights. The Zebras have always been 100% reliable so I stick with them.

1696769446599.png

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck finding reliable info (as in 'from the manufacturer' on that). I've looked for that data from the major players repeatedly, and never found it from any of them.

Energizer certainly provides fairly complete specs on their L91 (and good on 'em):

Note that the same manufacturer provides no such info for their E91:

Given what we all know painfully well about alkalines, I'd just take the L91 number(s) and plug that data into my equation(s) anyway. I figure one might as well use specs on a AA primary that's actually worth using in practice.
Not related but Panasonic had these black rechargable batteries and such info was available in comparsion to Sanyo Eneloop. I imagine for AA you would want an Energizer Lithium or XTAR rechargable.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
id like it around 3 inches and be ablke to do 500 lumens on a basic aa alkaline cell
Looks like the Op has done a runner... was this just a click bait thread? Surely with over 12,000 posts on here you must know the score pretty well on what is possible or not?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Looks like the Op has done a runner... was this just a click bait thread? Surely with over 12,000 posts on here you must know the score pretty well on what is possible or not?
Consider the source. Look at any one of his other posts and you won't be surprised with this one. I've considered him the CPF jester since day-1 of his participation, if you want to call it that.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
He has mentioned that most of his threads are joke topics.
But some of them, like his search for a reasonably priced 100% wool blanket bigger than twin-size, are very much genuine. I'd say this one is as well. Anyway, he's been gone for over a week since a handful of members got really upset at him and didn't hold back. A close friend, also a CPF Regular, mentioned to me who those members were. Ironically, most of them are on my Ignore List. But two of them really surprised me. Didn't think those two would dog-pile onto Raggie like that.

I do hope he returns. I think of him more as the CPF Mascot. His threads were always good for a laugh, and often times led to some interesting and even thought-provoking discussions.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
He has mentioned that most of his threads are joke topics.
But some of them, like his search for a reasonably priced 100% wool blanket bigger than twin-size, are very much genuine. I'd say this one is as well. Anyway, he's been gone for over a week since a handful of members got really upset at him and didn't hold back. A close friend, also a CPF Regular, mentioned to me who those members were. Ironically, most of them are on my Ignore List. But two of them really surprised me. Didn't think those two would dog-pile onto Raggie like that.

I do hope he returns. I think of him more as the CPF Mascot. His threads were always good for a laugh, and often times led to some interesting and even thought-provoking discussions.
Well in that case, my honest reply would be why 500 lumens? If it is about range, I'd say go for a more throwy LED, sacrifice the lumen count to improve the lux intensity. The right LED & reflector combo can make lights far more usable than their base specs on paper.

500 lumens is too bright close up, will cause too much heat and result in low runtimes. Even if you could get an alkaline (or preferably NiMH) to power it. But say 200-250 lumens and much more lux would likely give you a much better light and one that is more likely attainable with current technology.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree. I suspect Raggie might have believed that AA technology had already gotten to a point where 500 rated lumens would seem possible on certain models.... without the use of a 14500 lithium-ion rechargeable cell.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you believe these guys, then there will be no breakthrough of 500 lm/W with the current technology. Perhaps in the future some nanotechnology or new materials will be able to do this, but this is still unknown

Well, I watched the movie, Wishmaster, where something like a genie granted wishes exactly as it was said, without considering the accompanying effects. Something like the old joke, when a man ordered enlarge one of the intimate parts of the body from the genie, and when it turned out that it cannot stand up and be firm, but hangs like a snot, it became clear that desires needed to be formulated more clearly. I think the same should apply to the consideration of any contracts before signing them.

If we have 1AA, then we can make a flashlight that produces 500 lumens, but we'll have to cut some corners:

The maximum efficiency of LEDs, if nothing has changed in technology, is around 5 mA

The size of the lantern is indicated as 3 inches, but it does not say in which direction, which means we can make a Cube measuring 3*3*3 inches and powered by 1 AA

There were also no requirements for weather protection, which means we can make IP00
1697269820867.png

This will also increase efficiency, since we will not use protective glass and any optics other than the primary LED optics

There were no requirements for the quality of light other than that it be white, so you can use diodes with the highest color temperature, or use XLamp XP-G3 Royal Blue and add a little phosphor (very little) to bring the CRI to at least 10-15. Or from real LEDs, I found these, the highest efficiency that can buy

Here 267 lm/w, at a current of 5 mA I think the efficiency will be higher, say 270 lm/w. To get 500 lumens, we need 1.8 W. At a voltage of 5.52 V, the current should be 326 mA. If we drive diodes with 5 mA, we need 65 LEDs. 49 pcs (7*7) can be quite comfortably placed on a 3*3 inch board - on a grid with 5 mm of space between diodes for current paths, and 16 diodes can be placed on the side plate

We also need a very efficient driver with 1 operating mode. For example, we can find it with an efficiency of 80%, then the flashlight will consume 2.25 W from the battery.

And we must not forget about losses, so all conductors and contacts should be made of pure silver (after all, we were not given a price limit for the flashlight in the task)

To prevent the battery from being too depleted, you can use PWM, I think 1 Hz will be optimal

Of course I made too many assumptions, but if there is an AA battery that can pulse 2.25 W, then we met all the conditions, since the operating time of the flashlight was not indicated

1697273331168.png

Last edited:

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
Sadly, Raggie got upset, and hasn't been back for the last several days.
Issue not entirely due to the comments in this thread. I hope he does return. And for anyone looking for a powerful flashlight that takes one AA battery.... I'd say go for a flashlight that takes a single 14500 lithium rechargeable battery. But can also run on a single AA cell for lower output and runtime.
Best idea.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Pretty interesting thread. Lots of great information. I find this little guy pretty nice for an off-the-shelf light. Streamlight ProTac 1L-1AA 350-Lumen.
Oh! That's a personal favorite. Literally anytime someone wants either a single-CR123A powered flashlight, or a single-AA powered one; that's my go-to recommendation. I love mine. It's just so underrated. Plus, I've found that if you're careful when tightening down the tailcap, and careful in not bumping or dropping the light; in an emergency it will work off of a single-AAA battery too.

Alaskantinbender

Newly Enlightened
Oh! That's a personal favorite. Literally anytime someone wants either a single-CR123A powered flashlight, or a single-AA powered one; that's my go-to recommendation. I love mine. It's just so underrated. Plus, I've found that if you're careful when tightening down the tailcap, and careful in not bumping or dropping the light; in an emergency it will work off of a single-AAA battery too.
Interestingly my TLR-8 Sub is rated at 500 Lumens now with one CR123A.
TLR-8 sub.JPG

clockwork

Newly Enlightened
If you believe these guys, then there will be no breakthrough of 500 lm/W with the current technology. Perhaps in the future some nanotechnology or new materials will be able to do this, but this is still unknown

Well, I watched the movie, Wishmaster, where something like a genie granted wishes exactly as it was said, without considering the accompanying effects. Something like the old joke, when a man ordered enlarge one of the intimate parts of the body from the genie, and when it turned out that it cannot stand up and be firm, but hangs like a snot, it became clear that desires needed to be formulated more clearly. I think the same should apply to the consideration of any contracts before signing them.

If we have 1AA, then we can make a flashlight that produces 500 lumens, but we'll have to cut some corners:

The maximum efficiency of LEDs, if nothing has changed in technology, is around 5 mA

The size of the lantern is indicated as 3 inches, but it does not say in which direction, which means we can make a Cube measuring 3*3*3 inches and powered by 1 AA

There were also no requirements for weather protection, which means we can make IP00
View attachment 50750

This will also increase efficiency, since we will not use protective glass and any optics other than the primary LED optics

There were no requirements for the quality of light other than that it be white, so you can use diodes with the highest color temperature, or use XLamp XP-G3 Royal Blue and add a little phosphor (very little) to bring the CRI to at least 10-15. Or from real LEDs, I found these, the highest efficiency that can buy

Here 267 lm/w, at a current of 5 mA I think the efficiency will be higher, say 270 lm/w. To get 500 lumens, we need 1.8 W. At a voltage of 5.52 V, the current should be 326 mA. If we drive diodes with 5 mA, we need 65 LEDs. 49 pcs (7*7) can be quite comfortably placed on a 3*3 inch board - on a grid with 5 mm of space between diodes for current paths, and 16 diodes can be placed on the side plate

We also need a very efficient driver with 1 operating mode. For example, we can find it with an efficiency of 80%, then the flashlight will consume 2.25 W from the battery.

And we must not forget about losses, so all conductors and contacts should be made of pure silver (after all, we were not given a price limit for the flashlight in the task)

To prevent the battery from being too depleted, you can use PWM, I think 1 Hz will be optimal

Of course I made too many assumptions, but if there is an AA battery that can pulse 2.25 W, then we met all the conditions, since the operating time of the flashlight was not indicated

View attachment 50751
Use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, those can push 3A continuouse and at 2,25A mine dropped only to 1,2 V

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use Energizer Ultimate Lithiums, those can push 3A continuouse and at 2,25A mine dropped only to 1,2 V
Yeah, L91 wonderful (if that's still their designation). But with alkaline ones, this seems to be unattainable. A couple of days ago, the night temperature dropped to 3-4 degrees Celsius. I just had an alkaline battery in the SC5f, indoors everything worked well on H2 [166 Lm (2.8 hrs)], but as soon as I went outside, when the flashlight cooled down after a few minutes, it immediately reset to M2 [8.6 Lm ( 48 hrs)]. And when turned on again on a fresh battery, it also drop after 20-30 seconds from H2 to M2. It will be interesting to see the behavior of an alkaline battery when the temperature drops to -20-30 Celsius

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ty for the input everyone part of me thinks i should just trust a 14500 cell more..maybe carry a small battery bank and a single 14500 charger..

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
ty for the input everyone part of me thinks i should just trust a 14500 cell more..maybe carry a small battery bank and a single 14500 charger..
I still think if you haven't tried a lumintop tool then you need to check it out. It's a lot more light than you think even off a regular alkaline or a nimh battery

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That would honestly be your best bet. If you don't want to spend too much money altogether, take a look at the 14500 offerings from Sofrin, and Convoy. Very reasonably priced for the level of performance you get. Good quality overall too.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would honestly be your best bet. If you don't want to spend too much money altogether, take a look at the 14500 offerings from Sofrin, and Convoy. Very reasonably priced for the level of performance you get. Good quality overall too.
I'll second the convoy. The convoy T3 are sweet little lights and can be had for about 15 bucks. There are good cheap bright options out there.