GEEZ this thing is tiny...

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
I just got my P1D CE, and so far I'm quite pleased.

Most of all, with the light for the size and weight. I've been EDC'ing my Nuwai Q3 off and on for a couple of years now, and considered it a minor marvel in performance for it's size. Now, next to this, I find myself wondering why a single-CR123 light would ever be sooo big? :)

I'm really surprised at how small it is, despite having found a couple of photos of them side by side. Not enough photos of lights have familiar objects in them for a sense of scale. The Ripoffs scabbard that was too tight on the Q3 is too big for the P1D CE, it swallows it.

Everything everyone says is true. It's a LOT brighter than the Q3. It's a lot brighter than my SF L2, and makes it feel impossibly huge and heavy (can't find my L4). Much whiter, makes them both look green.

Yeah, there's a bit of a donut. I don't find myself caring much, I guess I'll never be a real connoisseur.

No thread problems- though it doesn't come on until the head is just a very tiny bit shy of tight down, not sure if that's a concern. Better than the other way, anyway.

As everyone says, you can tell the difference between "primary" and "high", but you have to seriously look. "Low" is about right, maybe could be a little lower.

Strobe is effective for attracting attention. Since it's not directly accessible, tactical use is out. The SOS is slow. Probably just about right for use on the water, where things typically stay visible for LONG periods, but probably too slow to be of use, say, pointed at passing cars, unless you're on a mountain overlooking an approaching highway.

Only real negative is that it's a bit less useful for some close-in tasks like reading than the Q3. However, on "low" it should be useful for a lot longer.

As I said, so far I'm quite pleased, and would be inclined to buy Fenix again. I'd probably prefer a clicky, if it didn't add more than a quarter-inch or so. Add a lightly textured reflector, and I'd definitely be interested. Speed up the SOS a bit, and I'll just have to buy another.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I got mine a couple of days ago and I still can't get used to having something this powerful on my keyring. Last night, I was walking out to my car to get some tools out of the trunk and thought I saw something moving in the field next to our house. I pulled out the P1D, turned it up on high and shined it on what turned out to be a small herd of deer about 100 feet away. It didn't just reveal a single deer, it lit up the whole herd. I chuckled to myself when I realized that if there was a game warden around, he could have cited me for "spotlighting" deer with a 2-inch long flashlight. It would almost be worth paying the fine to see the look on his face when he saw my "spotlight."

Led_Blind

Enlightened
they are darn bright for their size. I dont know why there is any issue with the ringy beam as you never notice in general use, only in white wall hunting.

For me it is simply too bright for normal tasks but definatly has the WOW factor.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Norm said:
These ar the words I fear
smile.gif
smile.gif

Norm

It's the emotion that counts!
Alice

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
Ok, it's my new EDC as of this morning, unless it dies on me or something.

The transaction has been very satisfactory.. only caution I'd mention is that the fenix-store's "free" shipping is USPS... not Priority, but First Class in a padded envelope. Thought I might not live long enough for it to show up. Next time, I think I'll spring for faster shipping.

JanCPF

Enlightened
Mr_Dead said:
... It's a lot brighter than my SF L2, and...
WHAT! If you are talking about the total light output (lumens or ceiling bounce) you must have a seriously bad Lux V in that L2. Or were you talking about just the brightnes of the hotspot, which would make more sense?

Jan

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr_Dead said:
though it doesn't come on until the head is just a very tiny bit shy of tight down, not sure if that's a concern.

No, it isn't a concern. The 'switch' is when the circuit board comes in contact with the bottom part of the case. Therefore it would stop screwing down just as it switches on.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr_Dead said:
I'd mention is that the fenix-store's "free" shipping is USPS... not Priority, but First Class in a padded envelope. Thought I might not live long enough for it to show up. Next time, I think I'll spring for faster shipping.

The free shipping takes 3 days to my house :) Never had a problem.

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
JanCPF said:
WHAT! If you are talking about the total light output (lumens or ceiling bounce) you must have a seriously bad Lux V in that L2. Or were you talking about just the brightnes of the hotspot, which would make more sense?

Jan
Ceiling bounce, no sophisticated equipment around here (well, for that).

I did it again, and I think you're right, I'm wrong. The L2 probably puts out more total light. It's hard to compare them for a couple of reasons.. the hotspot IS brighter with the P1D CE, but the spill/corona/balance of the beam is brigher from the L2 than from the P1D CE. The other factor is the color. Alone, the L2 has a barely noticable green tint, I looked at it against a half-dozen paints before I was sure. Next to the P1D CE, however, it looks sort of.. sickly. The Cree is much whiter, so seems brighter to the eye.

For some reason it took 16 days from placing the order on the website.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Mr_Dead said:
only caution I'd mention is that the fenix-store's "free" shipping is USPS... not Priority, but First Class in a padded envelope.
It's never taken more than 3 days, and I'm clear across the country.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Mr_Dead said:
Ceiling bounce, no sophisticated equipment around here (well, for that). I did it again, and I think you're right, I'm wrong. The L2 probably puts out more total light.

Similar result here - my L2 on high is slightly, but noticeably, brighter than my P1D CE on high using the ceiling bounce test.

According to my milk carton light box and light meter, the L2 is actually ~15% brighter overall, which is rougly consistent with Quickbeam's FR.com

For some reason it took 16 days from placing the order on the website.

It routinely takes ~2 weeks for order from fenix-store.com to reach me .. but I'm up here in Canada. :grin2:

Mr_Dead

Newly Enlightened
It probably has something to do with the fact that I placed the order on Christmas eve.

How dare anyone try to have a life as well as an income... harumph....

lightrod

Enlightened
GarageBoy said:
Time to replace my TW4 set up..I guess..

That's a sad day. IMO there's nothing that matches the KL4 beam with it's wide spill and soft spot. But dangit in the single cell setup (TW4) the runtime stinks and the P1D-CE blows it away. Give me the KL4 beam with the cree performance!