The L4 Blues....

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
It was clipped onto my left pant pocket and I got tackled upon (by my gf) onto my bed... The next thing I know I feel my flashlight in my pocket and i'm kinda confused at that moment... Took it out and felt the razer sharp edge the clip left. I'm fairly sure surefire doesn't cover this kind of "accident" and I have one question.

Can I remove the broken part of the clip? It's part of the 'base', it broke off right at the connection point of the L4. If not I plan on grinding it down. My favorite light is now a giant piece of metal that can cut my hand deep if i'm not careful :(

:ohgeez:

Illum

Flashaholic
Im suddenly more interested about your gf than the L4...:ohgeez:

well...the clip is essentially part of the light, checki f Surefire sells replacement clips. if they do...chances are it might not be under warranty

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Can you unscrew the head (KL4) from the body (L4)? On my early L4, when you remove the head (KL4), you can remove the clip by sliding the clip out of it's dovetail mount. If you can remove the broken clip in this manner, PM me you shipping address....I have an unused KL4/L4 clip that I will send you.

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the L4, take care of your girlfriend, lol. You can always buy another L4, but can't buy another girlfriend? (haha after thinking about it after typing you can buy a mail order bride.) Talk about a moment killer "Honey please wait while I worry over a flashlight." lol j/k. I remember one time a friend stripped my belt off, she didn't see the gun or flashlight on it and I wasn't paying attention and all I heard was a few thuds on the floor, nothing broke though.

Call up SF customer service, they should set it straight. Might even win the true story gift certificate.

Last edited:

BargainMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I'd give Surefire a call and explain the situation. I actually wouldn't be too suprised if they sent you a replacement clip. As far as removing it, I'm not sure what would work best. Usually I've just looped a bit of string or paracord through it and pulled it out. That won't work if there isn't a hooked bit at the end of course.

carrot

Flashaholic
You would be pretty surprised what Surefire will cover under their warranty... perhaps to some extent of users abusing it? Anyhow, if you tell Surefire what happened, I'd be very surprised if you didn't[\i] find a new clip in the mail in a week or so. It costs them next to nothing and the clip shouldn't have broken under the stress anyway.

JanCPF

Enlightened
I've broken the clip on my L5. A mail to Surefire and a couple of weeks later, I received *two* new. :goodjob: Surefire.

Jan

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way to keep an "accident" like this from happening again?...

Get married! After a few months all your "fragiles" will be safe.

easilyled

Flashaholic
shadowbuds said:
I got tackled upon (by my gf) onto my bed... The next thing I know I feel my flashlight in my pocket and i'm kinda confused at that moment...

Are you sure it was the flashlight you felt? :naughty:

These potent weapons let you down just when you need them
the most. :awman:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure Surefire will send you some more clips.

Please tell me when you've worked out how to remove the old clip, though.

Campdavid

Newly Enlightened
Valpo....good call! You took the words right out of my mouth. I have been married for 10 years and the only time the "warden" gets close enough to tackle me is to prevent me from leaving the house until all the chores are completed.

At this point I would gladly snap the pocket clip off any of my Surefires to get tackled by a woman...well maybe not the clip on my U2 but any of my others would be fine.
:lolsign:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you explain to Surefire exactly what happend (GF tackled you onto the bed... :devil: ) they will probably cover you just because of the "story".

Illum

Flashaholic
easilyled said:
Are you sure it was the flashlight you felt? :naughty:

These potent weapons let you down just when you need them
the most. :awman:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm sure Surefire will send you some more clips.

Please tell me when you've worked out how to remove the old clip, though.

I think theres a set pin you have to pull out with pliers...see the "clip removal" section of A2 maintainence thread....

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Campdavid said:
Valpo....good call! You took the words right out of my mouth. I have been married for 10 years and the only time the "warden" gets close enough to tackle me is to prevent me from leaving the house until all the chores are completed.
:lolsign:

How true it is! We've been married for 8 years and the honey-do list grows exponentially every week. Now, to top things off, the new greyhound we got now sleeps between to two of us, thereby eliminating any chance of "tackling".

shadowbuds

Newly Enlightened
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are amazing. I wasn't even going to put "(by my gf)" but I thought it would clear a lot of "why did you fall on your bed..." ect. questions. (yes, she's a bit wild that's all i'm saying)

But anyways I think i'll call surefire in the morning and explain my full story.

Question - It looks as if I can pull the clip out somehow if I get a grip (string?) on it. I have NO clue if it's welded, glued, or just slipped on. Roy, thank you for being so generous! Could you help me with my situation? Say my L4 Body is pointing up at the cealing, could I remove it by pulling UP or down? I can remove the KL4 head from my L4 since it's rather "new" so to speak. If I can remove this please emphasize the fact that I need to remove the O Ring since I can tell i'll already forget it.

Thanks for all the laughs, it's helping me through my ordeal. Even though my L4 is about as sharp as a knife I still EDC it :)

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
im pretty sure that SF will replace it under warranty
clips shouldnt break, especially if its just from being tackled by your gf
just be honest with them and they should fix the problem

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll be replaced if you just tell them my clip got mangled when I fell over. Then just send it in only problem is if you need to use your light you won't have it for ahile.

easilyled

Flashaholic
If you tell Surefire the whole story, they will probably implement a
tackle test in future for all their lights.

:thinking: