What to do with a Stinger XT?

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
I have in my possession a Stinger XT which hardly gets used. My Strion is almost as good a thrower but a lot easier to carry, and for a "house/car" light I have the Ultrastinger. The poor ol' Stinger just sits there gathering dust!

So, I'd like to find a way to make it more useful, or at least differentiate it from the other lights, by modding it in some way. The only caveat is that I'd like to retain the stock charging system, as it is so convenient.

Anyone have a good mod for the Stinger? (Understand that I'm an electrical dunce, so you have to explain things in small words...!)

-=[ Grant ]=-

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Wow...no replies!

I've found mods for the regular Stinger, but not for the XT...it seems I have an orphan!

-=[ Grant ]=-

waynejitsu

Enlightened
The lights are the same, except the XT is longer and has the clickie in the rear instead of on the barrel.

How about a "HP" 40,000cp upgrade kit for about $20 - $30

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
waynejitsu said:
The lights are the same, except the XT is longer and has the clickie in the rear instead of on the barrel.

That's what I thought, but fivemega's Pila upgrade (which seemed like the easiest mod to do) states explicitly "will not work with XT models."

How about a "HP" 40,000cp upgrade kit for about $20 - $30

I thought about that, but one of the attractive things about the Stinger is the form factor; I'm not all that excited about sticking a larger head on the thing.

-=[ Grant ]=-

rkonieska

Newly Enlightened
You can put a tl-3 bulb in it and run two 18650's in it for 2 hours of runtime.
tl-3 bulb is rated for 211 lumens.................stinger is 115.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
rkonieska said:

+2 To rkonieska's suggestion, I run my Stinger XT with a TL3 bubl and 2 18650's getting some Carley 1499 bulbs.

rkonieska

Newly Enlightened
I run a WA1274 with the HP head with the XT body for 620 torch lumens (re-rated). The 18650's fit perfect in the body except the diameter. You have to
put a spacer in for that. Then you have the tail cap clickie. I have done this with the 1499 in small head and tl-3 in small head also. It is very easy with the stinger xt. I like the tail cap feature over the switch up front. If anyone can figure out how to wire a lion charger into the stock charger port let me know!

:)

Last edited:

SmokeDiver

Newly Enlightened
rkonieska said:

Will the tl-3 work in a polystinger? I'm not too good with 18650's, and don't necessarily want/need another rechargable battery system, so will the existing nicad stick work?

rkonieska

Newly Enlightened
TL-3 is a 9 volt bulb. Polystinger battery won't drive it. The 18650's drop in and just need a spacer for their diameter. It is well worth the small effort.

:)