Surefire L7

2hotford

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guys,

My first post here since I found this site a month ago or so. Ever since then, I have been bitten bad with the "flashlight bug"!

I am trying to find a light with a good throw, and decent side spill and REALLY bright. I want something rechargeable as my wife and I want to take nightly walks (once the weather warms up!). I was considering the Surefire L7. But after a lot of searches, I have noticed that it is not talked about very much. Why? Is there a better light that meets my criteria?

I really appreciate any help you can give! :)

Tim

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I don't know much about the surefire L7 aside from that it seems to be a good light! I do however think you should look for lights with more spill (don't know if the L7 has alot, just speaking in general) if you are going to use it for walks. I'd personally go for decent throw and alot of spill.

Though, it's alot of fun to play around with a light that has alot of throw :grin2:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim,

I won't be the only one to tell you this but you might want to lock up your wallet.

You will be happy to know that almost any of the well regarded lights here will accept rechargeable batteries. That means that you won't have to limit your choices to the lights that are advertised as rechargeable.

The Surefire L7 is an excellent light that has great output with lots of spill to light up not only the center of the beam but much of the area around it. It is also a ready made rechargeable solution that will do a great job for you without having to learn about all of the different batteries and chargers and alot of other stuff that will take some time.

My feeling on why it is not talked about as much is that it is a little bigger than alot of lights that will provide simlar output. I have not heard anything negative about it, however, so I think that you would have a hard time going wrong with it.

One thing to note is that when you go with a rechargeable light like the L7, you limit yourself to the batteries that it comes with so if you want to use it for other purposes that might cause you to be away from a charger, you will be limited because it does not accept regular batteries.

Good luck on your search.

-Goatee

2hotford

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Goatee and Vizlor for the replies! :)

I have to admit, all of the various battery numbers etc that I have been reading about on the site is a little over-whelming. But like anything, it will take some time to learn.

How would rate the SF 9AN?

The reason I was looking at the L7 is because being a LED, I would not have to worry about finding replacement bulbs. And... since I am planning on using it nightly, I though the rechargeable made sense.

However, being new and opening to any ideas you may have, do you have any other suggestions??

Again...I appreciate your help and patience. :)

Tim

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
2hot, welcome to CPF. There are soo many lights that should meet your requirements that I'm hard pressed to name one. As goatee states, you don't have to limit yourself to a built in 'rechargable' system light. Most quality lights accept rechargable batteries. Take a look at flashlightreviews to ad pics and stats to your quest. Cheers.

iced_theater

Enlightened
The L7 is a very nice light and should be good for a night walking light. It has good throw and good sidespill and is bright. It takes a tremendous beating too. I use mine at my job and besides some character marks after falling numerous times onto gravel or metal rail it's never failed me.

There are other very good rechargeable lights as well though. So it depends on if you want multiple levels, price range, size. If you have an idea on those let me know and I'll help you find something that you'll like.

dcowboyscr

Newly Enlightened
Greenwood(Indianapolis), Indiana & Orlando, Florid
I too once considered the L7, but recently got a Streamlight Stinger LED. Great light, multiple light levels, strobe, cheaper than L7, much better throw, focusable, Lux III has longer lifespan than Lux V in L7. If your in Law Enforcement, ability to use existing Stinger chargers. The first led flashlight i've been completly satisfied with for output AND throw.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello 2hotford and welcome to CPF:)

FLR hasn't tested the SF L7 but the L5:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l5.htm

Take a look to the datas about throw and overall output. Now compare to the Fenix P1D-CE:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p1d.htm

A few advantages at side of the Fenix: cheaper, more throw and overall output,a lot smaller and the most important for your uses: different brightness levels and for that much longer runtime.
You can use RCR123 3.0V recheargeables and another advantage, you can carry a few spare cells for extended runtimes.

Only a suggestion:)

Best regards

_____
Tom

2hotford

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I really enjoy this site!! :)

I am willing to pay up to $250-300 for a light that I can carry with me. For size wise, I am open to ideas. I really want a LED for the longevity of the bulb as it will be used nightly. The only other feature I would like but not necessary is an instant on with a tail click on-off switch. Most of all, it needs to be bright with good throw and good flood for walking at night and rechargeable or could be made into a rechargeable.

I hope that helps in regards to choosing the best light for the task. :)

Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

Tim

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tim,

Welcome to CPF.

I walk regularly (with my wife and "puppy", around our 1 mile lake)and have "tested" numerous flashlights.

I prefer McGizmo's HD45 5W Led (18650 rechargeable or (2)CR123)
Link

(There are many threads for HD45, using "Search")

The HD45 is suprisingly small, extremely well built and has (2) levels, activited by turning the head. The 5W LED has great spill, along with brightness and "low" is often adequate for walking. "High" will run for over an hour on a freshly charged battery an it's easy to carry a "backup" battery.

McGizmo HD45 can be purchased clickhere
(HD45 Flashlight 5W "WW0T" Black only!
[5HD45-NBBW])

I have a number of 5W lights that I use for walking, the "spill" in my estimation is preferable to a 3W for walking.

Will post some pictures for size comparison's, later today.

jeffb
123584828-M.jpg
123584896-M.jpg

123584855-M.jpg

Surefire M6, HD45, Tigerlight, Surefire L4, HDS EDC GT60
123587642-S.jpg

HD45

Last edited:

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tim,

I re-read your prior post and if you really desire a tailswitch (momentary), you might contact "Milkyspit" (custom modder, CPF), there is a 5W "Illuminator",
M90-M1 Illuminator (LuxV WXOS, runtime 90m on 1x123 Primary )

M1-based Illuminator, Cyanator, and CREEmator are all available from "Milky.."
(I am going to get a Cyanator, for walking as well)

M90-M1 Illuminator (LuxV WXOS, runtime 90m on 1x123 Primary)
http://milkyspit.com/i/img-m90-m1-benighted-head.jpg
http://milkyspit.com/i/img-m90-m1-benighted-head-closeup.jpg
http://milkyspit.com/i/img-m90-m1-benighted-beam-profile.jpg
http://milkyspit.com/i/img-m90-m1-benighted-beam-hotspot.jpg

(Quotes below from Milky)

The M90 and the ML1 are completely different animals. Yes, M90 is a single-brightness light... but I like to call it an "Illuminator" rather than flashlight because the beam is completely different from what most of us have come to expect. There is a hotspot but it's very soft... so soft, in fact, that the light can be used to examine things in the palm of one's hand without torching one's retinas. :naughty: The M90 basically pumps out a big ball of light that evenly illuminates everything within 20 yards or so. ML1 will throw further but also doesn't offer nearly the intensity of sidespill the M90 does.

he M90-M1 CYANator Lives!
http://milkyspit.com/i/img-m90-m1-cyanator-beam.jpg

M90-M1 CYANator Formal Pose. :)
http://milkyspit.com/i/img-m90-m1-cyanator-upright.jpg

Hope this helps.

jeffb

2hotford

Newly Enlightened
Hey,

Ok ...after reading a plethora of posts on this subject, I think I am starting to get a handle on this! I can also see why so many of you suggest buy the light and converting to rechargeables, which leads to my next question.

It seems that on CPF, that many people like the SF L2 with its dual settings. If I consider this light instead of the L7, what rechargeable batteries should I use?

Hey Jeff...cool collection of lights!

Thanks again for your help!

Tim