The "play" on my Fenix P1D CE is a "+"!!

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I must be the only one here that actually sees the loose thread on my P1D CE as a "+", as a result I have a push button type tactical P1D.

1. Overhand hold "Surefire style"; Tighten the thread until the light comes on, then unscrew about 1/4 of a turn, hold light S/F style, wrap your "pinkie" finger around the head of the light, with your ring and middle finger only gently hold the light while your pointer finger is out of the way as if pointing to the sky, your thumb can now push on the rear of the light squeezing the body against the head making the contact and turning the light on. Now you can cycle through the modes very quickly, just like a push button light. After some practice this will feel normal.

2. At waist level Mag-Lite hold; Tighten the thread until the light comes on, then unscrew about 1/4 of a turn, hold light so the head (knurled part) is between your thumb and pointer finger and the rear of the body is in the centre of your palm held in place with your middle and ring finger, (the pinkie finger is doing nothing) squeezing the head between the thumb and pointer finger pull the head of the light against the body of the light which is firmly parked in the palm of your hand, by releasing and compressing the two sections of the light once again you can cycle through the modes very quickly.

3. And of course you can use the light in the original manner. As mentioned elsewhere here, you can gently pull the two sections apart while twisting and this way avoid the "cycle hopping".

In this way this light is both, a twisty as well as a tactical push button......

Last edited:

luminari

Newly Enlightened
Heheh way to go, making the best of an unexpected "feature"!

I guess my P1D isn't considered loose, then... I think my pinky would break if I tried the "surefire style" hold to turn on the light using pressure. :O

speederino

Enlightened
Mine was quite loose....it took 8-10 wraps of teflon tape on the threads to get the slop down to tolerable. I found it was quite difficult to control the modes until I did this. Mine had .5mm of movement in the threads. Now it's tight like my CR2 Ion!

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope the next one that I purchased will be the same as my first, I now want there to be a little movement, very fast to use with just a bit of practice....

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised that there are some issues with fenix threads, loose heads etc, most of owners here in Malaysia (that I know of) do not have such issues like I read in threads for the P1D ce etc. If there is some manufacturing issues, I would address the issue with the supplier since the product is China Made and is selling at premium prices IMHO......On the other hand they do produce exceptionally bright lites with up to date technology.

No offense to Fenix and Owner alike....just my opinion.

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally think that the amount of "play" or tolerance in the thread on these lights is about the same as on most other flashlight that I have, it is a personal perception on the owner's part. The tail cap on my Night Cutter 5PC seems to be looser, the LED tail cap on my Wolf-Eyes 9V light is also loose. When I compare the Fenix with my other lights including Surefires, there is no difference. I think because the Fenix is so much smaller, the situation looks worse. I really think that most of the Fenixes are most likely identical, but individual perception varies.....

DaveL

Newly Enlightened
Just got a natural from lighthound.com. No observable play, bright as @#$@#, lighthound even threw in a keychain light!

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
Easy fix to this "problem": replace the body from the P1D CE with the body from the P1D.

I have both lights, so I tried it. It works fine. I didn't think it was a real problem to begin with, but I have to admit that both lights are better after this "modification". The threads are still silky smooth, but the heads now require just a tiny bit more force to turn.

Plus the anodize matches better on my P1D CE now. :)

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was actually the opposite. It was too tight to twist with one hand, as opposed to my P1. A little grease on the threads and I am now twisting away with one hand and loving it!

stonehold

Newly Enlightened
Method #2 works great for me, with the adition of 2 black washers around the head for grip and leverage.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I have recently tried and adopted another way to turn on my P1D CE.

As before, turn on and then back off by quarter of a turn.
In any hold of your choice, push on one side of the head as if you wanted to bend the light. Only slight pressure is required to make the contact to turn the light on. Works great in overhand hold, just hold it as if you are going to throw a dart and just gently squeeze, that's it.

And in fact this is much easier and comfortable than the "Surefire" hold.

Last edited: