5 Watt Nuwai rechargable

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, thank you for a great forum, it's been great lurking around for the last few months!:)

Does anybody here own the 5 Watt luxeon V rechargable Nuwai torch like this one here? It uses 4 subc nimh batteries and has a cradle and a holder.

I've been eyeing this light off for a while just wondering if anyone has an opinion on it at all? It looks good but the misses would give me a flogging if I bought it.

big beam

Enlightened
Hi PM and welcome to CPF
First let me say I don't know anything about THAT nuwai but I own 8 other nuwai lights.I do own 3 5W nuwais and think they are very good lights for the money.Some here on CPR call nuwais mid level lights but I would call them lower high end lights.I have never had any problems with mine whatsoever.The one you are looking at has the abilty to upgrade to better batteries with an easy swap.Good luck with your new light!

BTW hold on to your wallet this flashlight thing can be addicting :whistle:

DON

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi protein_man and wecome to the jungle!

To be blunt, why bother with that when you can have an Inova T4 that puts out as much light, is 2" shorter, uses a Li-Ion battery with a in-flashlight charging, is made in the USA, has HAIII anodizing, fantastic build quality and a lifetime warranty for less money?

'Nuff said? :)

We sell the 'current model' of the T4 for 94.95, the 2007 version which JUST came out and uses a K2/reflector for 102.95 on top of everything else above they come with a DC adaptor. :)

Don't forget that the prices above are to the public - CPF members save 5% - see my sig!

Last edited:

protein_man

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mattk and big beam for your feedback, this flashlight hobby sure looks expensive, but I feel the addiction growing every time I visit this forum!!! I have only a few cheap chinese led torches at home - I just need more!

martonic

Enlightened
MattK said:
Hi protein_man and wecome to the jungle!

To be blunt, why bother with that when you can have an Inova T4 that puts out as much light, is 2" shorter, uses a Li-Ion battery with a in-flashlight charging, is made in the USA, has HAIII anodizing, fantastic build quality and a lifetime warranty for less money?

'Nuff said? :)

We sell the 'current model' of the T4 for 94.95, the 2007 version which JUST came out and uses a K2/reflector for 102.95 on top of everything else above they come with a DC adaptor. :)

Don't forget that the prices above are to the public - CPF members save 5% - see my sig!

Main reason is that a good regulated Lux or Cree will stay bright and white as the batteries run down, while the incan gets dimmer and turns yellowish. I still like my SL TL-3 though - on new batteries it's killer intense for the size and weight (and cheaper than either of the above).

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
them nuwalie things like above have LEVELS that can make a big diff in use of the light, as you have both an effective brightness, and possibility for extended runtime.
also it can make a huge differeance when your out of the city, and too much light is simply ruining your ability to see anything else.
levels are hugely important

but, the 3c one i got for a friend, its curcuit now is drawing 65ma when OFF??? whats with that, it sucks batteries down even when your not using it, waiting for a button press.

li-ion for rechargables is awesome, and normal clickies that do momentary from the off position are many times more usefull than "reverse clickies"

just more to thin about. for 100$ i would want li-ion AND levels, and i want focus too :)

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello protein_man and welcome to CPF:)

I haven't hold the Nuwai 4xsub-c in my hands, but it seems that it uses the same Led and driver like my Nuwai ALX352-L.
It's a nice light, build like a tank, and the driver is also well build and very efficient. I tested the light with one RCR123 (3,7V) and a dummy cell and it works great with the same brightness as with 2 primarys. So I bored the tube to fit one 18650 LiIon........great improvement with loooong runtimes at all levels about 2hours on high, 4 hours on med and nearly 8 hours on low.
The downside at my Nuwai was the blueish tint and the "switch" was too easy to activate. So I decided to swap the Led. After taking apart (the good thing, it's easy to do) I ascertained, it uses a VYAT Led....far away from a premium Led:grin2:. I swaped the Led to a WX0S and what can I say.............only wowwwwwww.
Now the brightness on med is more than with the stock Led on high.

About the switch: it's only a plastic pin under a rubber boot which pushes to the switch on the driver board. I shortend the pin and now it's perfect, no accidental on.

So at last I can say, after these improvements it's a great light which fits all my thoughts about a LuxV light in this size (side note: now it's brighter than a SF U2 with much more throw:)).

I can highly recommend these mods. for all owners of this model.

But in your case (I don't know about your talents to mod) to buy a new light, I would buy a light which is more "nearly perfect" in stock form.

Best regards

_____
Tom