L0P Cree XR-E P4 bin

VWTim

Enlightened
After seeing the post about the L0P Seoul mod, I decided to give this a shot.

I have one of the first L0P's imported so I think they were a little epoxy happy, I had large O-rings and vice grips to separate the head and it finally budged as I was about to give up.

Shimming the emitter I went a little too far so there's a bit of a gap on the head. You can see a little leftover epoxy, I'm waiting for it to cure fully before I start scraping.
I reamed the reflector out by hand using increasing sizes of drill bits until it fit over the Cree dome. Judging by the gap only one very small shim would have set the reflector height enough. I can tighten the head in all the way, but then I get the Cree rings with the hotspot, so I set it for flood. The output reminds a lot of the passaround CR2 Ion.

L0PCreetotal.jpg

The light now outputs a totally smooth flood, which for this light is perfect. Ok, took some beamshots to attempt to show off the flood, this light really will light up a bedroom.

The L0P Cree XR-E is in the left of all shots, powered by a Sanyo 850 AAA NiMH cell, shot with a point and shoot D-cam.

L0Pcreecloseup.jpg

Best closeup I've got.

Creevs.jpg

Cree vs. Gerber Infinity Ultra on a Lithium AA cell

Creevs-3.jpg

Cree vs. River Rock 1/2 watt headlamp

Creevs-1.jpg

Cree vs. Streamlight Propolymer luxeon

Creevs-2.jpg

Cree vs. SL Luxeon again but at more distance.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
VWTim said:
I have one of the first L0P's imported so I think they were a little epoxy happy, I had large O-rings and vice grips to separate the head and it finally budged as I was about to give up.

I had the same overly epoxied problem with my LOP and I almost gave up opening it as well. I was using two rubber straps hoping not to damage the pieces which wasn`t working and then I tried a different tool. These smooth faced six jaw pliars give great grip without any damage.
buttrock.gif
Heating the head up with a hair dryer or heatgun seems to help soften the epoxy too. Made by LoggerHead Tools and called the Bionic Wrench. Mine have really come in handy working on flashlights.

I like your modded Fenix, of course.
thumbsup.gif
A Cree XR-E really perks up an LOP as we both know!
wink.gif

Ken

IMG_2967.jpg

Willabbott

Newly Enlightened
Very cool Tim, I think I like that a lot... can't wait to see it in person. Along with your other Cree-ations :)