SF E1L versus Fenix P1: runtime with RCR123

22hornet

Enlightened
During the last days I did some runtime testing with the following lights:
- Surefire E1L
- Fenix P1

Batteries used:
- WAMA RCR123 600mAh 3.0volt

- Surefire E1L: Little less than 30 minutes before it starts dimming.
Dimming goes very gradually and takes a few minutes to become obvious.
- Fenix P1 (standard, 1 output model): 45 minutes before the light switches out.

Taking into account that the output of the P1 is about 40% higher than the E1L (Flashlightreviews: 28 vs 20) and also the far better regulation of the P1, I have new respect for the small but mighty Fenix :sold:.

28 to 30 minutes of full power might be OK for a Surefire L2 on high mode but for a E1L, it is quite disappointing :shakehead.

Should you wonder: yes, I switched batteries between the two lights so as to eliminate the influence of that factor.

Kind regards,

Joris

Last edited:

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1L will work better with 4.2v RCR123's since it is a buck/boost circuit. The 3v regulated cells waste a lot of their energy during the voltage regulation process, so runtime will be quite short compared to a primary cell.

Yes, the P1 really is an impressive little light.

22hornet

Enlightened
I did as said by Chevrofreak, bought 3.7volt cells, and the results were indeed better.

First runtimes are with WAMA 600mah 3.0volt
Second runtimes are with KATO 650mah 3.7volt

Surefire E1L: 28 ---> 38 minutes
Peak Mediterranean: 23 ---> 52 minutes

:sold:
It is surprising, to me at least, that there is such a big difference between the two. The mediterranean more than doubles it's runtime, where the E1L adds some 33%.

Can someone explain this difference?

I did not use the new 3.7volt cells in the following lights:
Peak McKinley HP (will the leds be overdriven??)
Fenix P1
Surefire L2

Is it ok to use the higher voltage cells is these lights?

Kind regards,
Joris

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do yourself a favor and pop one of those 3.7V's in that P1 of yours. I measured the output difference on my girlfriends P1. With a 3.0V primary, ~40 lumens, and with the 3.7VRCR I got ~60 lumens!! The P1's love 3.7VRCR's and it is totally safe for the circuit.....:)