123A battery in my camera

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,
I just got a new 35mm camera that I have the option of AA's or 123a's. I like to use the 123's bc of the longevity and durability. I have been using Surefire batts because of the price being so good. Is there anything I should be aware of when using 123's in my expensive camera? I know to stay away from the cheap ones because of the BOOM factor. Are there any other things I shuld know? Up, to now I have only been using 123's in flashlights.
Thanks!!
Dave

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Dave,

How many cells do you use at a time? If you only use 1 cell, there should be no problems with any of the brands of cells. The problems come with multi cell applications at high continuous current draws.

Tom

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd use a battery that explicitly has a manufacturer's warranty for damages resulting from battery problems (e.g. Energizer or Duracell.) I don't think there is any kind of warranty from either the Surefire or Streamlight batteries (not even for their own lights.) And given how long a set of CR123s last in a camera, the $10 that you might have to pay for a set of those with a warranty might be cheap insurance.

FireFighter05 said:
Is there anything I should be aware of when using 123's in my expensive camera?

Newuser01

Enlightened
Tell you what I know.

Never keep batteries in camera when not in use.

Never have loose battery in the camera bag. (always individually wrap them in small plastic bags.)
Never use 3.7V Li-IO rechargeable.
Never mix used/used , used/new batteries.
Okay to use any brand CR123's but always remove batteries from cameras when not in use.
Carry spares in original packages or in separate zip loc bags.
Always carry a DMM with me to check for cells V (quick check for equal V before loading).
Always mark your pair of batteries with the date of open. You will always mix them up and that will be the end of your camera or worse.
AGAIN: Never keep batteries in camera when not in use.

If you use 3.0 V Li-ion, there are more thing you need to be aware of. I would suggest you read up on this forum for that subject.

You can enjoy your photo hobby, with few precautions.
Regards.

<edit> Remember! Even new (just bought) pair of cells may not match. Test to be sure.

Last edited:

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
FireFighter05 said:
Hello all,
I just got a new 35mm camera that I have the option of AA's or 123a's. I like to use the 123's bc of the longevity and durability. I have been using Surefire batts because of the price being so good. Is there anything I should be aware of when using 123's in my expensive camera? I know to stay away from the cheap ones because of the BOOM factor. Are there any other things I shuld know? Up, to now I have only been using 123's in flashlights.
Thanks!!
Dave

I'm confused. AA's and 123's aren't the same size, are they? :huh:

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
It uses either 4 AA's or 2 123's. Its a Nikon F100. Thank you all for your help!! I actually have a Surefire SC1 batt carrier in my camera bag that is stocked with new batts.