River Rock 4AA LED Lantern Question

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

I just returned home from Target about 20 min. ago. While I was there, I picked up a "River Rock" brand LED Lantern that takes 4 AA batteries. I've been playing with this lantern for the last 5 minutes or so, and so far I REALLY, REALLY like it!

Here's my question: I like this lantern a lot, so I don't want to damage it. Does anyone here know if it's safe to use Energizer Lithium AA (L91/FR6) batteries in this light? Is the light regulated, and are there any other batteries I can use or should not use in it? What rechargeable options are OK to use?

Best wishes, and thanks in advance!
Bawko

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also use NiMH- the lithiums may be a bit much voltage.

If you don't like the ringy output of the beam, check this thread out. I sandblasted the inner surface of my globe and love the output now.

Last edited:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the RR lantern you have and am glad you like yours too. I would be very careful about putting lithiums in your lantern. They put out 1.7v vs. 1.5 for alks. They also run at more amperage. I just bought a streamlight survivor light (fantastic light by the way) and it specificily warns against using liths in it.

I believe the more AA's a light takes, the more of a chance for damage using lithiums unless the manifacture recomends their use. I have allready fried one mmag 3AA with them. (this is too bad because lithiums made it much lighter than alkalines did)

Nimh batts should be fine, except they will run at full brightness longer then sharply drop off to nothing. Also, I would worry about overdraining them if some brands are more sensitive to that. Just my .02...hope it helps.

brad

fishx65

Enlightened
Atomic, Not sure what your using that lantern for but Target has the Energizer 4D folding lantern on sale for $10.49. It's much larger and uses two fluorescent tubes but puts out more and a lot smoother light. It will run 20 hours on low and 40 hours on high. If size does not matter, you might want to check it out. Do a search in the lantern forum to see it.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
fishx65 said:
It will run 20 hours on low and 40 hours on high. If size does not matter, you might want to check it out. Do a search in the lantern forum to see it.

Something does not seem right here :huh2:

Illum

Flashaholic
fishx65 said:
Atomic, Not sure what your using that lantern for but Target has the Energizer 4D folding lantern on sale for $10.49. It's much larger and uses two fluorescent tubes but puts out more and a lot smoother light. It will run 20 hours on low and 40 hours on high. If size does not matter, you might want to check it out. Do a search in the lantern forum to see it.

you've sat with it for 40 hours or did you just read off whats advertised?

I agree with Strauss, 20, 40 hours doesnt sound anywhere near accurate IMO...after about 4 years of experience using several florescent camping lanterns... :twak:

fishx65

Enlightened
That's just what it says on the package. I should have known you guys would catch that!!!!!

FishX

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

Thanks everyone for the informative replies!

BVH - Thanks for confirming that I can use Lithium batteries in the lantern. While I will undoubtably use some rechargeables in mine, it is also important for me to be able to use the Lithiums for when temperatures drop. I live in Utah, and occasionally it gets really COLD during camping trips. Other than that, I've found that the lithium cells seem to last quite a bit longer in my AA flashlights.

Best wishes,
Bawko

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

fishx65 said:

Thanks for the heads-up on this lantern, but I'm really not interested for these reasons. First off, when camping I like to keep everything as low weight as possible - and as compact as possible. Second, I've standardized ALL of my lights to use either CR123 or AA batteries - I've pretty much got rid of all my AAA, C, D, and CR2 lights. I would get rid of CR123 as well - except my favorite lights (my Surefires) only use that cell type, so I'm pretty much stuck with it. I still keep a 4-Cell D-Maglight in my car, but not for use as a light - it's a club for emergencies in the event that I can't reach my firearm fast enough. I don't think I've even turned it on in over 3 years - the batteries are undoubtably dead by now. Finally, I don't have any incandescent or flourescent lights in my collection (other than the above-mentioned 4-D Maglight)... I've had incandescent lights fail on my at the worst possible times in the past, and I only trust LED lights at this point. This is the main reason I keep resisting buying an A2 - even though it has LED backup. I came within a week or two of purchasing an A2 last year, but Surefire introduced the Kroma right in the nick of time, once again delaying my A2 purchase. Maybe someday... :)

Best wishes,
Bawko

Illum

Flashaholic
fishx65 said:
That's just what it says on the package. I should have known you guys would catch that!!!!!

FishX

we're not doing this just to be picky...some of us have been disappointed by lights advertised to be overwhelmingly bright or 100 hour battery life....after awhile on the forums you tend to know things a little better...whats what we're here for :thumbsup: