What temperature will your Cree XRE operate down to?

Y-Wrench

Newly Enlightened
On my ride home tonight my homemade triple cree bike light cut out on me after about 15-20 minutes. Tonights temp was -1 with a windchill of -20. My light flickered a little then kicked into low with no adustment (bflex) then nothing. Once I got home and got it inside it was wigging out, turning on and off on low alot, so I unplugged it and opened the light up to warm up. After about 15 minutes, everyhting was back to working order.

Y-Wrench

Newly Enlightened
NewBie said:
I've tested them down to -55C with no problems, including thermal cycling.

I'd be looking at connections, converters, and batteries if you are having issues.

Thanks, just trying to open a dialog on real world use. I measured my batteries as soon as I came in and they were putting out 14.38volts (AA x 12 NIMH) while not great, sufficient.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds to me like you probably had a contact come loose due to the effects the metal cooling down and contracting. The LED itself should be able to handle the cold fine -- if anything it should operate better.

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
i had same battery pack (12x nimh) - no problemo
popcorn.gif

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same problem with nimh cells in a GPS while it was 15 degrees. It totally stopped working. Go with lithium batteries for very cold weather.

MatajumotorS

Enlightened
Y-Wrench said:
On my ride home tonight my homemade triple cree bike light cut out on me after about 15-20 minutes. Tonights temp was -1 with a windchill of -20. My light flickered a little then kicked into low with no adustment (bflex) then nothing. Once I got home and got it inside it was wigging out, turning on and off on low alot, so I unplugged it and opened the light up to warm up. After about 15 minutes, everyhting was back to working order.

I guess that at minus 15 celsius the runtime may reduse by 50%
what was the runtime at "noarmal" temperature?

bombelman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF !

Question, where did you get a TriCree Bike-light ?
Home made ?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed you should use Li-Ion with temperatures like and below that !!

However, if you use regulation-electronics, they meight as well have problems with low temperatures..

But by the sound of it.. I'd say its the batts..

Another point: The wind only cools the unit more rapidly towards the -1 degree environment-temperature. Windchill is the aparrent temperature you seem to feel with a combination of the actual temperature and a certain windspeed!

Regards,

Ra.

Y-Wrench

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies on this one guys:goodjob:

As suspected by most, I'm gonna blame this one on the batteries, or one in particular to be exact. I went through all the cells individually and in one group of 4, three read 1.1, and the last read .83. I threw all four in the charger and the weak link read .36 after charging. So I guess something happened inside the battery that must have freaked everything out. Even at 14+ volts I should have had no problem, so that battery must have been reversing, or cutting voltage, or something funky.
I didn't get an exact duplication of conditions tonight. At a balmy 4 degrees with -16 windchill (the windchill is more important in regards to me, the rider:grin2: ), I took the long way home tonight and went over the hills and through the woods. After a little over an hour out there, no problems. The batteries do get to a point where at 1mA level 5 and 8 are indiscernable from each other and the light draws down a little, but it still is kickin'.
The words of everyone in regards to Li-Ion are well heeded, and in fact I already have a Li-Ion battery pack on order, but it got back ordered on me. Instead of waiting around and only running one or two LED's I just broke out some AA's and made a temporary battery pack. Which is also a pretty good plan to have a setup like this if you want a relatively cheap backup battery "just in case".

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw the thread, glad you have it resolved.

Given that the LEDs and converter will self heat, they will be at a 'happy' temperature pretty soon into the ride. All the parts on bFlex are rated to at least -40C operating, so if YOU can ride, it can run :)

I've tested bFlex in the freezer and it will start happily at those temperatures - which it should.

Finally, given the low temps you will hit in your application, condensation is a real issue. I'd recommend for long time reliability of the electronics that you either seal them in a small sealed box with a fresh desiccant packet or use a spray on conformal coating over all the components and PCB.

cheers,
george.

Y-Wrench

Newly Enlightened
Thanks George, I was thinking that condensation might also have played a role. Without the opportunity to get out under the same conditions, I guess I won't know for certain until next year (I hope:grin2: ). Sealing up the B flex is definitely in my future, I have it resting between some rubber in a 1" square tube right now.