42,840 LUX with a single Seoul P4 U bin

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Got my VIP's back from CM. TxxJ's removed and Seoul P4 U bins installed. Started out with the VIP set with a bias of 1 amp to the led, put on the 3" VIP BBH reflector, and did lux test at one meter with LM631 lightmeter and got 14,000 lux, with a do-nut hole. Beam was not focused at 1 meter, so I set up my tripod and took readings at 6 meters and got a reading of 1190 lux. Applied the inverse square law, so reading corrected for 1 meter was 42,840 lux.

Did bounce with lightmeter and reading showed same overall light output as a Surefire with a P90 LA when first turned on. The P90 is rated at 105 lumens by
Surefire, but the starting lumen output is much higher. After about 5-10 minutes the P90 LA settles down to what can be considered the 105 lumen rating, but the Seoul'ed VIP held is output, not dropping off. I guestimate that the Seoul'ed VIP at 1 amp to the led is outputting 150+ lumens. I have never had a single led light measure this high, even counting some high powered lux V's.

While this particular Seoul P4 U bin is very strong output wise, the BBH reflector really lets it shine. Otokoyamo designed this reflector and offered it for sale after Charlie (Mr Bulk) came out with the VIP. Some people are using this reflector on their Arcmania SF's.

Bill

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, this makes me very curious..

Can you please post a picture of this setup ???

What does this reflector look like and what is the diameter??

Regards,

Ra.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry but are you sure of your readings? 14,000 lux bounced? My 10,000 lumen monster would not even pull that :)

Mac

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats exactly why I'm curious Mac !!

And Bullzeyebill: Be shure you use calibrated equipment for tests like this !

Regards,

Ra.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Guys, I used best I had, a LM631 that mostly agreed with LSI labs results with McGizmo's Aleph I with white led, and A2. Tests done with these lights sent by SilverFox as part of Lightmeter Benchmarking passaround.

I measured first at one meter and got 14,000 lux at one meter, not bounce. I moved back to 6 meters and took lux measurement and converted back to 1 meter for 42,840 reading.

When CM was modding this VIP and using the BBH, he got similiar results, at one point 36,000 lux, while he was still improving the beam. He continued work on it.

Cmaccle, you have achieved 20,000 lux with a 2" Maglite reflector. This is a 3" in diameter reflector crafted by Otokoyamo,with a beautiful, if not perfect, reflector coating. Too long have we been testing our lights at just one 1 meter when we might suspect that the light is not completely collimated that distance.

Bill

Whoops, sorry, I did use word "bounce" in first paragraph. Meant lux at one meter. Will correct.

Bill

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
It all makes a little more sense now..

Hopefully I'll receive some SSC P4 emitters in a few days, can't wait to start testing and see if the surface brightness really is that high to reach cp-values like that!

With the best halogen and a high quality 3" reflector, you can reach about 50,000 to 65,000 cp.

If the 43,000 cp is true, the moment that led's exeed the halogens on throw is not far away!

Then, the next barrier will be the surface brightness of HID (about 4-6 times halogen)

After that, Xenon short-arc (about 45-65 times halogen !!!) but that meight take a while..

I think with about 100 times the surface brightness of halogen, Maxablaster will be in the clear for the next few years...:nana:

Regards,

Ra.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's some really poor photos of the BBH with original emitter. IIRC the beamshot was a tad over 3 ft.

Icebreak said:
CopyofVIPCase.jpg

Here is the business end of the BBH with the VIP set on low. The dust particles aren't showing up but they are there.

CopyofVIPReflectorOri.jpg

Here I was trying to show the anodize flaws on the BBH using the Tri-Star again. They didn't show up but they are there.

VIPStandingSmlJPG.jpg

Here is the VIP with BBH competing with a 400 lumen WA1274 in a lit office with no flash. The VIP is not that blue and the 1274 is not that red.

CopyofVIPBeamOfcLights.jpg

Here is the VIP with BBH competing with a 400 lumen WA1274 in a lit office with flash. That's closer to the correct color. The pic is out of focus so it doesn't show the perfectly crisp, round "theatrical light" beam. It's truly a magnificant beam.

CopyofVIPBeamFlashCopy.jpg

- Jeff

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to add that when I was testing the BBH, I picked a house down the hill from me that I ranged at 179 yards using a Leica LRF1200. I was able to light up the second story window very clearly. NONE of my lights, incandescent included (Surefire M6), could do that. Probably not because of the total output but because of the focus of the BBH. Large and very smooth surface, it really collimates and throws those photons way out there. It does take a lot of lumens to throw that far and the Seouls have really impressed me with their almost drop in nature to the Luxeons.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
CM did take some pics outside. I can't retrieve them from my other "broken laptop". Most of the lumens are in the center beam with some fair spill. To achieve that high lux the VIP pulls 2amps from the two NiMh batteries. That is the VIP with 1 amp to the led in high mode. I can not fit the BBH to my other VIP which is running stock high, about 700mA's to the led, but it is easier on the batteries. I am currrently using Kodak or Rayovac low discharge batteries as 2500mA NiMh's don't hold the voltage for diddle.

Bill

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

For about 20 USD at Ebay, you can get a IDE to USB adaptor..
Remove the drive from your broken laptop, connect it to the adaptor, and a second (XP-) computer recognises it as a standard USB-mass-storage device.

Works great!

Just wanted to let you know...

Regards,

Ra.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Thanks RA, I might try that out. The problem is mechanical/electrical. Removing drive would eliminate problem.

Billl