Fenix LED - Cree Edition?

ElectricZombie

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between a regular Fenix LED and the Cree Edition models? Flashlights arn't my main hobby, so I don't have a clue as to the difference.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cree Edition uses a super efficient LED, and the regular Fenix lights use a Luxeon
Led which is only half as efficient as the Cree, this makes the Light a lot brighter
given the same amount of power to the Led.

Rob187

Enlightened
However, the beam in the Cree versions is not as smooth or even as the luxeon versions. The Cree lights have visible 'rings' that have been the subject of much discussion on CPF.

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because the Cree LED has about twice the efficiency of the Luxeon LED used in older lights, the Fenix Cree lights put out just about twice as much light for about the same run time as the older models.

c_c

ElectricZombie

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys. I've noticed that the Cree versions do not list the wattage of the LED. Is there a reason for this?

FatalDeception

Newly Enlightened
"However, the beam in the Cree versions is not as smooth or even as the luxeon versions. The Cree lights have visible 'rings' that have been the subject of much discussion on CPF."

That is also subject to the type of reflector used...

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectricZombie said:
Thanks guys. I've noticed that the Cree versions do not list the wattage of the LED. Is there a reason for this?
If you want to specify a power for a flashlight, you have your choice of:

1. The power consumed from the battery,
2. The power consumed by the LED,
3. The light power emitted from the LED,
4. The light power emitted from the flashlight.

These are all different, so take your pick. However, many of the flashlight manufacturers and dealers don't restrict themselves to just these choices, but come up with one that's dreamed up in the marketing department and is pure fiction. It has no other meaning than to make the light look attractive to the naive buyer.

It's to Fenix's credit that they're not playing this game.

c_c

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
FatalDeception said:
"However, the beam in the Cree versions is not as smooth or even as the luxeon versions. The Cree lights have visible 'rings' that have been the subject of much discussion on CPF."

That is also subject to the type of reflector used...

The reason that they have been the subject of much discussion is greatly down to the fact that the rings are so faint, it doesn't make any difference unless you go around staring at white walls with it. Some of the people are botherd by it ( Perhaps they have a lot of white walls where they come from? ) and the rest can't see a problem. Even against a white wall I had difficulty seeing any 'rings' from my Fenix P1D-CE. Don't let it worry you.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix offers the Lumen output, which is the only "real thing" compared to wattages given by whomever.

Please dont get me wrong, I dont want to be personal, just want to say, without any meaning: "someone even asking if Cree, Luxeon, ... by now, wont be bothered by a "ringy" cree beam we crazy ppl in here are caring about"
;)

also there is "FREE" homemade mod, needing nothing else and it works GREAT. I did it this last night to my L1D-CE and the beam is now the same as my L1T or L2P (but brighter, for sure)
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=152584