is seoul more efficient that cree

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i know i heard they use the same die, but the numbers show the seoul to be more efficient... anyone?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see at least one modder has chosen the Seoul over the Cree for thier latest modds. I`m wondering which is the better performer. And talk around the halls of Cpf that the old LS`s might be ready to make a comeback too.

Times are good :)

WAVE_PARTICLE

Flashlight Enthusiast
The choice of Seoul vs. CREE in mods may be based less on efficiency and more on the beam distribution. The Seoul P4 beam is closer to the Lambertian distribution of the Luxeon III (more so than the CREE) and therefore the LED can be used with most existing reflectors with little modification.

:thumbsup: WP

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The Seoul P4 is compatible with Luxeon optics, which is probably why it's so popular with modders.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
cheapo said:
i know i heard they use the same die, but the numbers show the seoul to be more efficient... anyone?

What numbers and who is the source? I still maintain that the only to make a call on this is to take samples of the EZ1000 chip that have the same output performance and have Cree and Seoul package these chips with their system. You could then test these samples with some confidence that the core was the same and that you are evaluating the package alone. Not likely to happen so the question is likely one not to be answered.

Efficiency over time or with lumen manitenance as a factor might be an easier basis for comparison as one might view the relative rate and amount of change among the samples and use this as a basis for package comparison. :shrug:

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
SSC rates their leds differently, and cree rates them a bit more realistically with more realistic die temps...