Eye candy : Finned & fluted HAIII 2D Mag waiting for Quad mod!

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finned & fluted HAIII 2D w/ Quad XE-E MaxFlex Now w/ Beamshots

Guys,

Just for eye candy (the host is regular 2D Mag for now... waiting for a Quad XR-E mod to be ready :naughty: )

Let me introduce my 2D Mag bought recently from another member!
img09151af2.jpg

img0916qd8.jpg

img0917hr9.jpg

img0918hp4.jpg

I have the copper PXR heatsink and P4-WC emitters epoxied and wired in serie, and four McR-19XR ready to go :
img0832wz5.jpg

My plan is to use the stock switch. The current flow from batts will have to remain reasonnable... I guess less than 3 amps continiuous is the upper limit?

I would like to drive the LEDs at 800 or 1000mAh, and would like at least 2 hours of flat regulation. As li-ion D-size protected cells are not available to this day, and that the body is not tri/quad bored... My cells options are reduced. I was thinking of two Ni-MH D-size cells...

Could someone help picking up the right converter?

Last edited:

cqbdude

Enlightened
shark.....cant go wrong with shark...

but if you want it brighter, you should use 6AA to 2d ...

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
cqbdude said:
shark.....cant go wrong with shark...

but if you want it brighter, you should use 6AA to 2d ...
Thank you :)

Will the 6AA to 2D batt holder fit in withoug modification? Are the 6 cells in series or a couple of stacks in //? Do you have any particular holder in mind?

I'm really please how this host turned out. The HAIII is pretty dark, very smooth and nice!

I believe Modamag is offering coating services in "group buy and passeround". Maybe a lead if you are still looking for a host :)

aileron

Newly Enlightened
tino_ale said:

Will the 6AA to 2D batt holder fit in withoug modification? Are the 6 cells in series or a couple of stacks in //? Do you have any particular holder in mind?

I don't know what OP intended, but fivemega's 6AA to 2D fits without modification, and is very well built. The cells are in series.
I'm still waiting on my 6AA, but the 9AA>3D I have is still going strong.
Good luck :)

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was dying to get a HA body as this 2D but alas, became interested waaaaay too late! This will be a great build.

Karl

cqbdude

Enlightened
tino_ale said:

I'm really please how this host turned out. The HAIII is pretty dark, very smooth and nice!

I believe Modamag is offering coating services in "group buy and passeround". Maybe a lead if you are still looking for a host :)

Yes..the 6aa to 2D will fit without modification....I have also used 8aa to 2D but I used a couple of dummy AA's . I have heard some people using all 8aa without modification to the host...I have not had such luck..I cant fit all 8 in the tube..

or you can go this route

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150788

He is a great guy to deal with...

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
aileron said:
I don't know what OP intended, but fivemega's 6AA to 2D fits without modification, and is very well built. The cells are in series.
Yes indeed, Fivemega's batts holder do look very well built!
But :
- I don't see how the stock tail sping will contact with the batt holder (no interference with the recharging plug??)
- I can see the 14500 holder in serie/paralell. Is this the only difference compared to the 6AA (all in serie)? What is the output voltage of the 14500?
- The 6AA is out of stock :( :( :( :ohgeez:

boef800 said:
tino,
I'm in a similar situation like you.Having the Crees,reflectors,sink....but I'm yet waiting for the maxflex.Have you thought about this option?
greetz,Alex
Alex, If I understand well, the Maxfrlex looks good. I seems to be a huge step up converter like the Shark, but this one has a UI with adjustable output. Also, considering the fact that the max input current is recommended 2,6Amps, that is enough to power four XR-E up to 1000mA from 6 NiMH :)
Now you make me doubt!! :rant: Should I chose the maxflex instead of the shark?!!
cqbdude said:
I have heard some people using all 8aa without modification to the host...I have not had such luck..I cant fit all 8 in the tube..

or you can go this route

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150788

He is a great guy to deal with...
Thanks for the link.
- How can I know if 8AA will fit in my mag? I can measure ID of the tube...
- Which holder makes 8AA to 2D?
- How come those batt packs have so low capacity?

Thanks guys for your help, Appreciate!

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mod is going on... I did all I could do and cannot go further. :ohgeez:

Dissassembled the switch contacts before soldering wires to them (didn't want to melt the plastic)
img0926wa7.jpg

img0928kb9.jpg

The "tower" was cutdown with a Dremel and then sanded for a clean finish
img0929ii1.jpg

img0930fx0.jpg

I added a metal retaining ring, I don't see why Maglite don't use them anymore. Feels more secure like this (I took the ring on an old mag).
img0933cw9.jpg

I am still stuck searching centering rings for the XR-19 reflectors.
I will need a power source (still not decided yet) and a converter board... Then I'm done!

Your help is greatly appreciated with the batt holder and converter choice :)

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been reading the Maxflex user manual. This converter needs a second momentary switch to navigate in the the UI...
boef800 said:
tino,
I'm in a similar situation like you.Having the Crees,reflectors,sink....but I'm yet waiting for the maxflex.Have you thought about this option?
greetz,Alex

boef800

Newly Enlightened
tino_ale said:
I have been reading the Maxflex user manual. This converter needs a second momentary switch to navigate in the the UI...

hmm,are you sure?I think it's enough if you mod the stock magswitch to momentary action.Take a look at this post from Icarus,where he explains it http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55061
As for the battery configuration...why not an 8AA to 2D holder paired with 8 eneloops?

Alex

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are right, you can perfectly modify the stock switch to make it momentary only. :goodjob: Good idea

For the batt configuration, I believe I am lacking some education here. I thought 8AA to 2D required a quad bored body?? :huh2: I need also to read more about those eneloops batts, which I don't know. Do you have a particular batt holder in mind? I would like to stick with Fivemega's holders for their premium built quality.

Thank for your help! Have you figured out how to source centering rings for the McR-19XR?

boef800 said:
hmm,are you sure?I think it's enough if you mod the stock magswitch to momentary action.Take a look at this post from Icarus,where he explains it http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=55061
As for the battery configuration...why not an 8AA to 2D holder paired with 8 eneloops?

Alex

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, after a long wait for the MaxFlex to be released, here we are let's see the business :

I further modified the switch to become momentary to GND. MaxFlex power supply doesn't go through the switch, so no loss to worry about here.

Here is how I heatsinked the MaxFlex to the heatsink :
img2052cx7.jpg

img2056rr7.jpg

Let's power it up and set maxflex to 750mA for highest level
img2059ca3.jpg

Centering rings do their job :
img2063hd4.jpg

four XR-E WC P4 @ 750mA = 610 lumens (for 75 mins from 6 Eneloops)
image1sx6.jpg

Beamshot against Ti-PD (UXOK, roughly 45 lumens) :
img2042ib7.jpg

Underexposed :
img2043uv8.jpg

Gotta love modding mags :twothumbs
MaxFlex ROCKS!!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is a beautiful light. You did a very nice job planning and building it, and the beam shots reflect that attention to detail. :thumbsup:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Ditto to dati! That is EXACTLY (yes I'm yelling) what I needed to see!!! I'm assuming that is just a piece of filed aluminum?

Last edited:

tino_ale

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your comments :eek:

yes it's just a piece of aluminium that I reworked with a dremel to adjust it's dimensions. As long as you don't short anything it seems to work fine :shrug:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tino,

That turned out very, very nice!

I like your MaxFlex heat sink solution, I must try it on my next build :D

Keep up the good work.

Later
Kelly