Mod a LED Dive light? -- Something bigger!

itch808

Newly Enlightened
I'm new around here but I've searched and read about all sorts of things people here have done to their lights. Most seem to be soldering in Cree or Seoul LEDs into compact flashlights. But my interest involves a bigger dive light. It seems the technology used in LED dive lights hasn't nearly caught up with the handheld LED flashlights. They're typically using Luxeon LEDs with the two most popular LED flashlights being:

Princeton Tec Shockwave LED - Uses three Luxeon III:
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_sw_led.htm

UK C8 eLed Plus
http://flashlightreviews.com/reviews/uk_c8eledplus.htm

Would the Cree XR-E LEDs still be a good option to use in either one of these? Or is there something else that has the same kind of efficiency but still able to handle much more watts? As of now the leading Incad dive light is rated at 245 lumens while the leading LED light is rated at 170lm. Seeing all of the results from just small handhelds, the 170lm target seems like it would be easy to top. Any suggestions or ideas?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, in accordance to the light output measurement in the links You posted, the
Princeton Tech VERY URGENTLY needs just a good driver, say a Shark from the shoppe (as input voltage seems lower than the 3 emitters at full power).
Notice the light output immediately drops to 60%-50% within the 1st half hour --> very bad direct drive
These optics can not accept Crees, better stay with SSC.
I am very sure there is enough space inside the light to add a driver, just by looking at it.

UK is the technologically much better host to start with, also Cree would work with this kind of reflecting, but You need 2 emitters in series each instead of just one of the Lux V used now. If You are able to put them there, You won, but is there enough space?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, most of the large dive light manufacturers aren't going to be cutting edge - they're manufacturing lights and cost is a big concern. If you want a sweet LED dive light, buy one from the get-go. Get a Barbolight, or dive a McGizmo. I'd dive my 27lt-S right now, if it weren't 27 degrees outside..

itch808

Newly Enlightened
ACMarina said:
Well, most of the large dive light manufacturers aren't going to be cutting edge - they're manufacturing lights and cost is a big concern. If you want a sweet LED dive light, buy one from the get-go. Get a Barbolight, or dive a McGizmo. I'd dive my 27lt-S right now, if it weren't 27 degrees outside..

Don't you have to get barbolights from overseas? And I thought McGizmo only made parts like reflectors? Do you have a link? Manufacturing costs may be a concern but it can't be that much harder for them to fit/design the light around newer LEDs from Cree/Seoul. We all know cost alone for the LEDs isn't that significant.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't see where overseas manufacturers weren't an option.. and no, you can get them in the states as well (amondotech) McGizmo's parts are very widespread, but he's also used all of those parts together in lights like the Aleph, McLux, the PD (Piston Drive, IIRC) and the 27LT.

You've got to remember, too, that these LEDs are cutting edge. We are lighting enthusiasts here, so we're up on all of this, but from a manufacturing standpoint a company would have to offset the additional cost somehow. If they put in Seoul LEDs in a Princeton Tec light, would everybody buy them?? No!! Of course some people would, but there is a learning curve here that can't be pushed. I mean, look how long it took Maglite to go with LEDs..

Basically, if you want cutting edge, you're going to have to pay big money or do it yourself..

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the D26 Cree lamp assemblies will fit in divelights like the Pelican Sabrelight and several others. Most 3C lights can use 2 18650 Li-ions for longer runtimes/higher output.

I use a 200 lumen D26 Xenon lamp in my 3C Sabrelight:D Any led D26 should work great as well.

Sverre

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
NoFair, I've got an old Super Sabrelite that would really benefit from this setup.. More info??

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACMarina said:
NoFair, I've got an old Super Sabrelite that would really benefit from this setup.. More info??

I replied in a PM, but if anybody else is interested:

The D26 and D36 (if filed down) will fit in the new Super Sabrelight.

I use the spring from a D36 with the D26s since it is easier to make contact with the battery carrier with the large spring. In the new Sabrelights it is an advantage if one uses a plastic ring or something to center the D26 in the light.

In the old Super Sabrelights only the D26 will fit I think. It should work better with 2 18650s since there is no battery carrier to modify.
A 3.7V D26 from WE or Lumensfactory should work well with 3 NiMHs as well.

The + spring on the LA have to be shortened for the light to work as a twisty, if not the light will turn on once the bezel is put on the body. I don't mind since I turn my light on before getting in the water and turn it off when I'm back in the boat after a dive.

This also works in the 2C sabrelight with 2 18500 cells instead of 18650s:D

Sverre