Cree rings: bad reflector finish?

pilou

Enlightened
I was reading a review of some Fenix light in which the poster had included many nice photos. I couldn't help but notice machining rings running all throughout the inside of the reflector that is supposed to be smooth. Could these be contributing to the rings we are seeing or the rings are there regardless?

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
the cree itself has this metal ring around it, that blocks and reflects light different than some other led domes, that and the light going out the side of the emitter goes through more yellow filtered phosphors.
so with the block, the reflection, and the filtration, the "rings" are comming right out of the initial light emitting device, they are then concentrated differentally in various optics reflectors and lens things.

i seen that ridging on some of the lights, it could certanly contribute to some waves of ringing, but the brunt of what i see in the beam shots is inherant to the cree itself.

Also
some reflectors for luxens would just be a Mess with the cree, especially the totally smooth ones. lots of cree reflectors i have seen applied, have some sort of "diffusion" on the reflector, stippling, orange peel, texture, or whatever they want to call it.

Last edited:

fineday

Newly Enlightened
That's not the reflector's fault, that's caused by the LED itself.

Let's take a look at a picture form cree's pdf of XLamp 7090 XR-E.
cree.gif

We can see there are two small jump at about 90 degree, this causes the ring.
And how about Lumileds?
lumileds.gif

Of course this problem can be fixed by a special designed reflector, but it really won't mind you in daily usage, so I think you don't need to pay too much attention on this problem.