Luma Power M1 vs Huntlight FT01X XR-E SE vs Fenix L2DCE

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
I just lost my twin task, which was my multi purpose light, and am in need for a new torch. My main tasks for it will be up close, say behind my tv to move cables or to perform handy man tasks around the house. I will occasionaly take it fishing off a pier where I will need to look in my tackle box or flood the water to look for bait.

All three are within my budget, so I just want the best light available. Can some one give me a quick run down of the pros and cons of each. Thanks. I have gone to flashlight review, and all three have the 5 star review.

If your knowledgeable please rank them according to the categories below. Feel free to throw in any other relevant categories.

Run time (Assumes using the best battery type for each flashlight.)

Flood

Throw

Last edited:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have these lights so take this with a grain of salt. I read the same reviews you did at flashlightreviews.com. From the reviews it seems they are good lights. Based on what you said you are going to do with the light, the Fenix L2D CE would be best for you. The Fenix is lighter and you could use it with a flashlight holder that fits on your head from REI. http://www.rei.com/product/863.htm
With this combo, you would be able to work with both hands and have the light just where you want it.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I'm sure the M1 has the best throw by a good margin.

The FT01 Cree has the best total output.

The L2D has a different form factor, being a 2xAA light vs a 2x123 light.

Using ideal cells, (any cell in the Fenix, a 18650 in either of the others), runtime is over a full day in any light if set to low. But the low on the Fenix is quite a bit lower than the low on the Luma or Huntlight.

Personally, if I was using the light on a pier consistantly, my top priority would be a solid lanyard attachment point. They all have a good attachment point, but perhaps one would be more convenient for you to use.

Basically, they all look like excellent choices. The M1 definately has the most throw, but the others are very good as well. The Fenix has a bit of advantage in the area of runtime.

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
I have a M1 (OP reflector) and a P1D CE and an L1D CE, so I can extrapolate the L2D to some degree. I like all of the lights, but they have each have advantages and disadvantages.
The main advantage of the M1 is throw, and that is why I got that light instead of the Huntlight. It also feels much sturdier than the Fenix lights, but that's probably due to design philosophy. I run my M1 on 3.0V RCR123, and not a 18650 (didn't want to get yet another battery/charger, and also didn't like the lack of regulation using the 18650), so YMMV. The UI (two stage switch), while simpler and quite reasonable, is not as sophisticated as the L1D, which I like much better. Which one will be more reliable- dunno? One important point is that I believe that the low is achieved using a resistor on the M1, which decreases the efficiency. In contrast, the L2D CE has a very long published runtime on low in part because it is a lower low, but also due to the electronics (I think). The lower low is more useful indoors.

If I only had one light, I would go with the L2D CE because it uses AAs, has the best UI (IMHO), is the most versatile, and the cheapest. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them, though.

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
So would this ranking be accurate?
1= best
3= worst

Throw
1. M1
2. Huntlight
3. Fenix

Lumens
1. Huntlight
2. Fenix
3. M1

Battery Life
1. Fenix
2. Huntlight
3. M1

Last edited:

HammerSandwich

Newly Enlightened
ETS, all of that info is in the reviews if you read beyond the 5-star ratings. I've rounded the results.

Throw in lux:
M1 - 7000
HL - 3000
L2 - 3000

Lumens:
L2 - 120
M1 - 110
HL - 105

Runtime in hours (high/low):
HL - 4/31 (18650)
M1 - 4/26 (18650)
L2 - 2/60 (NiMH)

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
Hammer Sandwich, I did read beyond the 5 stars. I came up with my ranking by looking at the reviews. Though I must be interpreting them differently, because I don't see where you got your Lumens #'s from. My runtime numbers are pretty much the same as yours, except I didn't use rechargeables as my battery variable. I stuck with the battery that would give me the brightest light, which would be the lithiums in the Fenix and 123's in the other two.

Can you please direct me as to how you got the lumens numbers.

zerafull

Newly Enlightened
yes 88 (122 lumens) for the l2d une PERFECT regulation for 1h50 !
Make your choice, me il love it !

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Quickbeam/Doug, if you take the total output and mulitply that number by 1.39, you'll get the approximate lumen reading of the LED lights.

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
From flashlight review of the Huntlight:

123A Level 5 Smooth​
10000 (100.00)​

18650 Level 5 Smooth​
7600 (76.00)​

100 * 1.39
So for 123A wouldnt that be 139 total lumens? Oh I see he was using the 18650 batteries which give him the 105. I was assuming the best case scenario for each of the lights. I figured it out as I was typing this post. Thanks for your help.

Now I see the Amitlite T5, Lumapower M3, and the P1DCE is intriguing too. Aaaah too many choices.

Last edited: