What about Cree headlamps?

josean

Newly Enlightened
I want to renew an old headlamp (7x 5mm leds), and I would be interested in a model having a Cree or SSC led. :candle:

Does such thing exist on the market? Do you know if any manufacturer is going to introduce such a light in a near future?

Curious_character

Flashlight Enthusiast
josean said:
I want to renew an old headlamp (7x 5mm leds), and I would be interested in a model having a Cree or SSC led. :candle:

Does such thing exist on the market? Do you know if any manufacturer is going to introduce such a light in a near future?
I don't know, but it's easy to drop a Cree or SSC LED into a Princeton Tec EOS headlamp. Here's a good place to start looking for info.

c_c

Malfuntion

Newly Enlightened
I´m also waiting for the headlamp market to go CREE, but it seems to be moving slow.

I´ll would like a AA powered, multi level, Cree headlight.

zgurl

Newly Enlightened
Lurveleven said:
This headlamp uses 4 Seoul LEDs, 830 lumens!!!

Sigbjoern
wowwww, quite a big light! but the price is terrific > 600€ :drool: :awman:

You better build your own for such a price! A good solution is to begin with PT Eos as previously mentionned.

josean

Newly Enlightened
Lurveleven said:
Wow! That has really impressed me! :goodjob:

I don't really need such a powerful light, but is nice to see that some headlamp manufacturers are starting to consider the new generation of leds.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lurveleven said:

Sigbjoern

If only that headlamp was more like $300US, it would be MINE! Icarus built his own headlamp similar to this one, only he used luxIII emitters I believe. It was really sweet, I tried to buy it off him :sssh:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Isn't our own EngrPaul building these for $49? Check the homemade and modified light section. His customers are raving about the modified lights and the price is a bargain for his meticulous work.

- Vikas

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strauss said:
If only that headlamp was more like $300US, it would be MINE! Icarus built his own headlamp similar to this one, only he used luxIII emitters I believe. It was really sweet, I tried to buy it off him :sssh:

Do you have a link?

Edit: found it here.

Sigbjoern

chris_m

Enlightened
I've got a homemade headlamp with 3 Crees. Only 500 lumens, but a lot cheaper than that Lupine. Also better heat transfer than Icarus' from what I can see of that - I'd imagine the LEDs must get pretty hot in there.

Mine is https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/147395 mounted on the strap from http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~evendon/page2.html at present (since that was my previous powerful headtorch), though I have plans to make my own custom straps, and also make some more of these for teammates. Have been using it for night orienteering (running round woods at night finding checkpoints) for a couple of months now.

riffraff

Enlightened
Strauss said:
If only that headlamp was more like $300US, it would be MINE!
For that same $300, you might be able to pick up this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120096424146&rd=1&rd=1

...and then wire it to small three-axis accelerometer. Hang the accelerometer off one ear. It wouldn't be a headlamp, but it could track your head movement and shine its 3,000,000 cp light where you look.

Whaddya think? :naughty: :lolsign:

sizzlechest

Enlightened
IMHO someone could make a killing making mods of headlamps for people around these parts. Especially multi-level lights to give the "wow" factor but also to be functional for real time use.

I'd consider a $300 kind of number myself for the right light.

I bought one from engrpaul from the link above. :goodjob: