Running 14500 battery in Jetbeam CL-E

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
I know it's not recommended for fear of burning out the LED, but egads that thing is bright on a 14500 rechargeable. It's not a bad light on a single AA battery, but with a 3.7V boost, it absolutely blows away my SF L4 in terms of sheer output and throw. The L4 still has a wider beam, but it looks dim next to the CL-E.

So who else is using their Jetbeam CL-E with a 14500 rechargeable, and if so, what have your experiences been?

I'm sure that if I burn out my light, or if anyone else reports suffering a catostrophic failure from overdriving their LED, I will be hesitant to continue using a 14500 battery in the CL-E, but until then, I can't stop myself.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you measured the current and voltage from the battery to determine the power input?

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys. I'm a technological caveman without the tools to measure input. When I get a chance, I'll post beam shots. I don't own a digital camera, so I have to ask my lovely to help.

jb1219

Newly Enlightened
I have a 14500 in mine and the thing is unbelievable! So far so good, but i dont have it on for long periods of time...

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used one in mine when I first got it. I only used it for very short periods of time on high (less than 30 seconds), but WOW is it bright! It is the brightest LED light I have ever seen, and I would guess it is at least 125 lumens and most likely around 150+. Incredible output!

Delta447

Newly Enlightened
Mine don't have nipples either, but they still work OK. You really have to twist it down to get first contact, but once that's done, they work OK. Do they shut off on you after turned on?

Radio said:
I have some 14500's but they do not have nipples and therefore do not make proper contact. Where can I order the ones that will work better?

lightbug

Enlightened
One of my C-LE is running with 14500, which is noticely brighter then the C-LE on the Fenix p1 body running 3V primary CR123A. However, when I use the 3.7v unprotected li-ion RCR123 in the C-LE with p1 body, it is brighter than the C-LE with 14500. Running at Medium mode with Li-ions for 10 minutes, both C-LE are around 85F and feel warm, but no where near hot.

In conclusion, should be fairy safe to run them with Li-ion as long you don't operate on high mode.

Last edited:

TCW 60

Newly Enlightened
Radio said:
I have some 14500's but they do not have nipples and therefore do not make proper contact. Where can I order the ones that will work better?

Were do you have the foam pad in? I glued it in the back and the 14500 without the nipples got proper contact. But I tried it only for seconds, because it's so a fine light, I would not burn the LED down.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
TCW 60 said:
Were do you have the foam pad in? I glued it in the back and the 14500 without the nipples got proper contact. But I tried it only for seconds, because it's so a fine light, I would not burn the LED down.

Mine wouldn't work with the foam pad installed. I installed mine in the head of the light (isn't that were it is supposed to be installed?). I had to take it off for the 14500 to work.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
are you and the others running it on high?

ken

jb1219 said:
I have a 14500 in mine and the thing is unbelievable! So far so good, but i dont have it on for long periods of time...

Radio

Modulated Moderator
adirondackdestroyer said:
Mine wouldn't work with the foam pad installed. I installed mine in the head of the light (isn't that were it is supposed to be installed?). I had to take it off for the 14500 to work.

I have my foam pad installed in the head and it works great with AA e2 Lithiums. I did NOT have the foam installed when I tested the 14500. The 14500 actually rattled quite a bit and was far from making contact. I also tried my P1 body and it fit fine but the CR123 was way short of making contact. I am going to try some foil or spacer in the base of the P1 tube to get the CR123 to work. I agree the foam may need to be removed from the base of the head for the 14500 without a nip to make contact. I was under the impression someone was making 14500's with nips but evidently I was incorrect :)

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my measurements using my DMM and DIY litebox :-

Med : 470ma (est 60-70 lumens)
Low : 100ma (est 10-15 lumens)
High : 1120ma (est 140-150 lumens)

Doesn't sound too unreasonable to run on high but the Medium is more than enough for most purposes. anyway, if the LED burns out, just find some way to mod and replace it :D

Radio, I believe AW's new 14500 (black) have the nips...

Last edited:

coppertrail

Enlightened
My Ultrafire unprotected 14500 cells work great in my MKII and MKII lights, full regulation even with these cells, and brightness is incredible! No heat issues to date, but I've not been running it them on high for more than a minute with these cells.

With these 14500 LiIon cells, I'd say my MKIIx is as bright as, if not brighter, than my L4.

qdr

Newly Enlightened
Radio,

I run Ultrafire unprotected 3.7 Li-ion 14500, and haven't had any problems, however, it gets warm quickly. Lighthound carries them.

Quint

Mundele

Newly Enlightened
Alright, someone needs to "take one for the team" and stress test their C-LE. Burn that sucker out and see how long it takes...

Don't have any 14500's myself. Darn.

--Matt

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just ordered some unprotected Ultrafire 14500's from lighthound for my C-LE. Didn't know that AW's cells also came equipped with nipples...may have to order a few of them as well.

CFU