Possible new battery for hybrids? flashlights?

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a quote taken from Flexbeta.net:

A123Systems, a start-up in Watertown, Mass., says it has created a powerful, safe, long-lived battery. If the cell fulfills the ambitions of its maker, that softer sound will be the future of automobiles.

G.M. is planning two plug-in hybrid vehicles. Like the Toyota Prius and other available hybrids, the G.M. models will supplement their electric motors with power from internal combustion engines. What's different is that most of the power for daily commuting will come from battery packs that can be recharged from ordinary household sockets. The new models are expected to have a range of at least 40 miles without using their gas engines. While that is less than the range of the all-electric EV1, the hybrid nature of the new models will give them far greater total range.

I thought this was an interesting piece of news as I haven't seen any new battery chemistries take a strong hold in the market lately. I Googled the company A123Systems and found a very interesting homepage: A123Systems

I haven't had a lot of time to search their site but they apparently work with advancing Li-Ion batteries, but if they've created something new i'll be anxious to see how they could change up the market.

What are your thoughts?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
When googling it you should have come across references to using their new cells in Dewalt 36 volt power tools.

I also found references to folks buying the Dewalt power packs and disassembling them for the cells inside.

IIRC, the nano textured electrodes were first announced almost three years ago by Toshiba, with a prediction that they would be available for hybrids by the 2008 model year. I hope it's true. I will be the key tech that wil make PHEV practical.

Daniel