Mag Solitaire mods?!?!?

krazy89

Enlightened
hey everyone,

I'm a noob when it comes to flashlight modding, but has anyone done any mods to a maglite solitaire to make it into an led light??? 1 watt?? Cree's?? luxeons??

any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

KraZy

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
krazy89 said:
hey everyone,

I'm a noob when it comes to flashlight modding, but has anyone done any mods to a maglite solitaire to make it into an led light??? 1 watt?? Cree's?? luxeons??

any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

KraZy
If you write "Mag Solitaire LED" in the search box above, you will find a number of threads on this subject. If they will satisfy your problem or not I dunno.

krazy89

Enlightened
thx for the info guys...

and ESS... i'm starting to get to your conclusion too... $13USD plus shipping... that brings the total price of my mag light to $10CDN + 13USD + Shipping... $26ish CDN (and shipping too!) might be more worth it just to get a keychain light that is a 1watt with regulation...

thx.

KraZy

gunga

Flashaholic
krazy, where in Canada are you? I'm thinking of selling my Fenix LOP SE, $25 shipped in Canada. Let me know if you are interested (PM please).

Carried about a month, a small ding on head and some wear around the split ring, otherwise perfect.

Would be better than a modded solitaire!

krazy89

Enlightened
I'm actually in Vancouver, bc...

where r u? how bad is the scratches?? can u post up a picture of it (u can host it on imageshack)

I've always wanted a Fenix light... just they are way too expensive...

THanks,

KraZy

gunga

Flashaholic
krazy,

I'm in Vancouver BC. The damage is very minimal, basically I dropped it and the edge of the head has a minor ding (lost anodizing), otherwise, it is excellent shape. I can show you in person! You have PM, if interested, PM me your number and I can hook up with you.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a lot of darn nice lights and for me, the LOP SE is the best choice for a keychain light. The L0D-CE gets crazy bright on the brighter two settings, esp on a LiIon cell, but I've rarely had an impromtpu need for a light where the LOP SE didn't fill the need.

Last edited:

itch808

Newly Enlightened
For a keychain light I personally love my Ultrafire 602C! It costs about as much as the Solitaire LED upgrade.

megawatt

Newly Enlightened
I put a Terralux TLE-20 in a Mag Solitaire. It worked for a while and was bright for what it is. I didn't even get 5 minutes out of it. After turning it on and off just a few times, one time it flickered and went out. I contacted Terralux for warranty and a guy there told me the TLE-20 is not designed for that light because when screwing it down too far the glass would hit the led and break the leads thus shorting out the light. The guy told me that Terralux tried very hard to design something for the Solitaire but they were not successful.

krazy89

Enlightened
thx for all the help fellow addicts....

i still haven't really decided what i'm gonna do yet... i've browsed thru the dealextreme site and saw a couple that i like.... but just don't know about the quality of the lights from there.... especially cuz they are no name...

KraZy

gunga

Flashaholic
I thought about doing a solitaire mod, didn't seem to be much point since I would have to buy the solitaire, then do all the modding. The end results is a decent light that gives, maybe max 2-3 hours usable light. Seems more useful to have multi modes since you will be using low most of the time for close up stuff.

Decided to go multimode Fenix instead. That, and I really wanted a Fenix...

krazy89

Enlightened
haha... yeah.. i know that feeling... but just can't justify spending like $50USD for a light.... (since i'm broke *** too)

but yeah... the only reason i was thinking about the mod is that i just found my solitaire from way back lying around.. turned it on... and thought.. what a piece of s***....

KraZy

riffraff

Enlightened
megawatt said:
I put a Terralux TLE-20 in a Mag Solitaire. It worked for a while and was bright for what it is. I didn't even get 5 minutes out of it. After turning it on and off just a few times, one time it flickered and went out. I contacted Terralux for warranty and a guy there told me the TLE-20 is not designed for that light because when screwing it down too far the glass would hit the led and break the leads thus shorting out the light. The guy told me that Terralux tried very hard to design something for the Solitaire but they were not successful.
Don't throw away that Solitaire just yet. Apparently they have come up with something: the LT-3.

http://www.led-replacement.com/lt-3.html

krazy89

Enlightened
WOW.... that price is my case and point... why try to retro fit a new bulb.. when it costs almost as much as brand new light??

KraZy

ps56k

Enlightened
I used to carry a Solitaire,
and then found it was just a little too long on the keyring.
So - I went for the coin light...
These latest versions are GREAT -
http://www.photonlight.com/X-Light-Micro-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/xm-keychain-led-flashlight.htm

however, found my old blue Solitaires,
and this 3mm Arcmania drop in disc does look interesting....
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2217
wonder if it is the same as this from Tektite:
http://www.led-replacement.com/lt-3.html

but, as others have mentioned,
heck, I could easily get 2 new X-lights vs the cost of the upgrades.