crc123a safe for fenix P1D-CE

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
i was wondering can i use 3.7v or 3.0v cr123a rechargeable lithium for the P1d-CE. and would it run safe? anyone tried this yet? thanks.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
lv6l said:
i was wondering can i use 3.7v or 3.0v cr123a rechargeable lithium for the P1d-CE. and would it run safe? anyone tried this yet? thanks.

Hi lv6l

There are numerous threads on this topic. But to save you searching, the short answer is...

The P1D-CE works fine with 3.7V RCR123s, but initially there is very little brightness difference between high medium and low, until the battery runs down a bit.

On 3V rechargeables the modes are the same as with 3V primary CR123s.

As for "will it run safe?" - there are also numerous threads on the safety aspects of protected vs unprotected RCR123s.

Enjoy your torch!

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
oh thanks a lot. i dont mind if the light gets bright or not i just wanted an alternative way of using the light with the benefits of being able to recharge it.

can you post me some links or tell me what to search to see the difference between protected and unprotected RCR123.

also off subject but i have a streamlight twin task 2L and when i put two 3.0v RCR123 in them it works fine until i charge the battery fully and put them back in and my LED works but it blew out my halogen bulb. the battery is 3.0v lithium with 1000mah it said on the casing, the charger originally was used for 3.7v RCR123 so i dont know if that would make any difference; but could it be when i used the charger design for 3.7v it overcharged my batteries? thats why it would be great if you could explain to me the basic of protected and unprotected RCR123 and if chargers make any differneces. *note* all these i got off ebay so i am assuming its china junk...but there's no way of learning without making mistakes...:)

THANKS

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
thanks. does anyone have ideas to my streamlight question?

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
gadgetnerd said:
Hi lv6l

There are numerous threads on this topic. But to save you searching, the short answer is...

The P1D-CE works fine with 3.7V RCR123s, but initially there is very little brightness difference between high medium and low, until the battery runs down a bit.

On 3V rechargeables the modes are the same as with 3V primary CR123s.

As for "will it run safe?" - there are also numerous threads on the safety aspects of protected vs unprotected RCR123s.

Enjoy your torch!
I cant help but wonder WHY this happens to the P1D, what is it about the RCR123 that causes that ?
Is it that the RCR battery has a lower voltage (under load) than the more common "primary" ???? Or is it because the RCR cant supply as much current ????

Is a light powered by "primaries" brighter than it would be using rechargables ?????

Last edited:

bridgman

Enlightened
I think the issue is that a fully charged RCR123 has a higher voltage than the regulator in the P1D is designed to handle. Once the voltage drops to 3.7-odd volts (a fully charged 3.7V LiIon is 4.1-ish volts) everything works fine.

Apparently you get the same behaviour with an L1D-CE if you put a fully charged 14500 cell (also 4.1-ish volts fully charged).

Last edited:

timcodes

Newly Enlightened
I believe the xr-e as specs it can handle 4.0 v. Therefore, 4.0v is fine, anything above that is.... anyone's guess....

lv6l

Newly Enlightened
bridgman said:
I think the issue is that a fully charged RCR123 has a higher voltage than the regulator in the P1D is designed to handle. Once the voltage drops to 3.7-odd volts (a fully charged 3.7V LiIon is 4.1-ish volts) everything works fine.

Apparently you get the same behaviour with an L1D-CE if you put a fully charged 14500 cell (also 4.1-ish volts fully charged).

so i check my charger and it says output is 4.2v. does this mean when i put either batteries; 3.0v or 3.7v, the charger will charge those batteries to 4.2v? IF SO can i find/use a charger that outputs at 3.0v or 3.7v and it will be more accurate?

thanks.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
lv6l said:
so i check my charger and it says output is 4.2v. does this mean when i put either batteries; 3.0v or 3.7v, the charger will charge those batteries to 4.2v? IF SO can i find/use a charger that outputs at 3.0v or 3.7v and it will be more accurate?

thanks.

3.7V Li rechargeables are generally charged at 4.2V and so usually come off the battery charger at 4.0-4.2V. However once actually under load in a torch, they quickly drop down to 3.7V.

I've never used 3V rechargeables, and am not sure if they are meant to be charged in a 4.2V charger.

Have a look in this part of CPF lvl6, there's enormous amounts of info on rechargeable batteries:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Protected Lithium batteries have a PCB(small chip) that prevents over charging 4.2V and over discharging about 2.75V. Also it limits the amount of current that can be drawn to I believe around 2c(2 times battery capacity MAH). Protected would be the way to go for safety and not draining the batteries so low as to be permantely damaged.

Last edited: