DOES LEAVING A SEOUL ON HURT IT

paulsl

Enlightened
I posted below but the lettering was tiny so I don't think it was being seen. My Striker VG w/seoul was left on until batteries ran out by mistake last night, Does this hurt it in any way?

Are there battery upgrades that would increase output? Using CR123's?

I see streamed a lot on this site. Anyone know what it means?

Thx.

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeap.

if you hid in a dark and sound proof room, you can hear it crying softly....

jkjk

ok, you can't actually use a LED without hurting it.

each time you use a led, it will deteriorate a little bit by little.

that is why there is a 50k-100k hours lifetime for leds.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
chesterqw said:
yeap.

if you hid in a dark and sound proof room, you can hear it crying softly....

QUOTE]

You crack me Up.
crackup.gif

Back on subject, I think If you leave It one for about 2 month's straight @ 1000mA and turn it off and back on It wont be as bright? I unno' :candle:

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Leds are a thing that do slowly degrade. Heat is a factor. If was being driven hard it might be a bit of a problem. If it was driven mildly I doubt you will know a difference. A light held in a hand does not get as hot as one not being held.

Led_Blind

Enlightened
It depends on the temp that the light gets to as well as the drive current.

Does the light normaly get hot, would it get to hot to touch? If so there may be some degredation of the led.

Otherwise, dont wory :)

ps. there is a lot more to it than that but in all realities the loss in output probably wont be noticable.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're most likely to damage the batteries, if anything (rechargeable batteries are much more sensitive to being worn down) the ideal thing is just to keep "topping them off" as you go along, rather than running them down and recharging them once dead (deep cycling). Protected cells are designed to shut themselves off before causing irreversible damage -- if you run a LiIon unprotected cell completely dead though, it will ruin the battery.

As for the LED being damaged, I woulnd't worry too much about it. These days another new LED is actually almost cheaper than new battery (not sure what type you're using) -- you can get a new U-bin Seoul emitter for $7 if you caused damage to it, and just replace the LED.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xTrinity said:
You're most likely to damage the batteries, if anything (rechargeable batteries are much more sensitive to being worn down) the ideal thing is just to keep "topping them off" as you go along, rather than running them down and recharging them once dead (deep cycling). Protected cells are designed to shut themselves off before causing irreversible damage -- if you run a LiIon unprotected cell completely dead though, it will ruin the battery.

As for the LED being damaged, I woulnd't worry too much about it. These days another new LED is actually almost cheaper than new battery (not sure what type you're using) -- you can get a new U-bin Seoul emitter for $7 if you caused damage to it, and just replace the LED.
+1 I totally agree. More harm to your rechargeables than the LED itself.

paulsl

Enlightened
Ok, thx guys. I also liked the joke. The real reason is that I'm afraid of the dark........he-he.

Does anyone know what Streamed means. I've seen it a few times. Do they mean stripped?

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems that Seouls don't have the thermal capabilities of Cree or Luxeon. Check my sig for some info by the famous Newbie, it's insiteful.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Humming on "Everybody hurts"...*

Sorry, I know I'm a bit late, but couldnt resist. :laughing: