Arc-AAA Premium??

p97z

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a small light for an EDC. I currently have a Fenix L0D-CE but it's just too bright for close up work and the PWM drives me nuts in low mode. Anybody who owns an Arc-AAA seems to love it. I expect that the beam is similar to an Inova X1 reflector. Can somebody post beam shots of the Arc-AAA or Arc-AAA Premium?

-Thanks

suvdave

Newly Enlightened
I'm waiting for my LiteFlux LF2. It's programmability should give me the levels I want and it's high frequency PWM should eliminate any perceived flicker. The L0D-CE was the other light I was considering. The lack of a really low mode was one factor that prompted me to get the LF2.

Inova 24/7, Huntlight FT-01PJ, Fenix L2T, Fenix P1D-CE

carrot

Flashaholic
The beam, from what I have seen, is actually quite similar to that of the Inova X1.

An alternative to the Arc-AAA P is the Fenix E0 "Dart," which is only slightly less bright but offers 9 hours of regulated output. There are pros and cons about the design of each, which I have discussed more in-depth in other threads on the Arc and Fenix, but I feel either is a solid light that you should have no trouble with relying on.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
Unfortunately, I can't post a beam shot, but since I own the Arc premium, an L0P and an L0P CE, I can comment that the Arc perhaps 10% brighter that the L0P CE is when on low.

Beam spill is comparable but the Arc beam has an edge (in my opinion) in that it more even with less of a hot spot, hence the light/dark ratio is reduces making for a more useful close-work beam.

Also, although it might seem the same size in a photo, in practice the Arc seems much smaller.

Mine has been a constant companion for more than a year now.

Al

LightScene

Enlightened
"I own the Arc premium, an L0P and an L0P CE"
You like the Arc better than the L0P?

cy

Flashaholic
hate to say it, but ARC AAA is not about beam quality. if that's what you are after, you will be disappointed.

what ARC AAA has always been about is best compromise of size, function, reliability, HA finish, cost, runtime, output, etc, etc.

ARC AAA is not the best at any one thing. but the best compromise of the above.

it's a real design front runner! it's flat amazing that ARC AAA has been world's best 1x AAA light for so long. loads of different lights have tried to dethrone ARC AAA ... so far no one has succeeded.

with Cree coming out, it's super low VF has allowed mods of ARC AAA to way surpass ARC AAA's performance and at same time keep it's timeless form factor.

highly recommend a Miller mods Cree two stage ARC AAA mod. using genuine ARC AAA head and body. yes there is a difference!

the next Paradigm shift has arrived in cree's performance and beam pattern. which is perfect for no optic applications. low vf allows use of std alk or NHM AAA cells.

this combined with a two stage twisty, makes the most ideal user interface available.

it's high time Peter took a closer look at CREE based two stage mods like what Miller mods has been putting out. enough units have been in the field to prove reliability of two stage switch design.

with current set to 50/200 milliamps, you get super long run times and high output. heat is not a huge factor at these low currents.

hey Peter... sure hope you are listening!

folks would line up for a ARC AAA XR-E two stage

cerbie

Enlightened
I have yet to see a beam shot of the Arc that does a good job of showing what you get. It's got off-center rings, artifacts, it's blue towards the center, more yellow/green as it goes out--not pretty. But it is wide and smooth (no 'harsh' artifacts like the Fenixes).

I'd love to see a redesigned Arc AAA with newer nicer emitters (not just MM's work), but that will take until at least a few months after the new Arc LS comes out.

If the tint or beam quality may bother you, skip the Arc. It's a tough little tool that will be bright enough for most tasks, nice and small with plenty of mild knurling, last long enough on all batteries, and survive just about any damage you'll dish out. If I lost mine, I'd get another in a heartbeat, and not a newer brighter light. But know that brighter and more feature filled lights are abound. It's made to be a good tool, and it shows.

...and don't tempt us with thoughts of factory multilevel Arc AAAs! :)

p97z

Newly Enlightened
I don't think the beam quality would bother me... May favorite flashlight is an Inova X1. I still choose my Inova over several Fenix's...

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
LightScene said:
"I own the Arc premium, an L0P and an L0P CE"
You like the Arc better than the L0P?

Yes, though it's a close call if compared to the L0P CE and not the older Luxeon version where it handily wins. The Arc is easier to use and it just feels like a better quality light, It's a hard thing to define, but there's just something about an Arc that just feels like a class act, ask anyone that owns one of the second generation premiums.

Keep in mind though, the Arc isn't in the same class as the L0P CE for total output and throw. The L0P CE can put out an amount of light that makes the Arc blush with envy and has multiple modes to boot.

If you need multiple modes and price isn't an obstacle, the L0P CE could be a better choice. I own all three and still prefer the Arc most of the time but there are times when I may need real power and don't want to carry a big light, that's when I stick the L0P CE in my pocket along with the Arc.

The Arc isn't for throw, although it's not bad on a dark night and the beam is typical for a hard working 5mm led, which means it's on the blue side and without a real reflector, the beam is just a wash of light without any real hotspot.

As mentioned above, all lights have some compromise and the Arc is no exception, I too would love to see what a CREE could do in an Arc head.

Al

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
cy said:
hate to say it, but ARC AAA is not about beam quality. if that's what you are after, you will be disappointed.

what ARC AAA has always been about is best compromise of size, function, reliability, HA finish, cost, runtime, output, etc, etc.

ARC AAA is not the best at any one thing. but the best compromise of the above.

it's a real design front runner! it's flat amazing that ARC AAA has been world's best 1x AAA light for so long. loads of different lights have tried to dethrone ARC AAA ... so far no one has succeeded.

with Cree coming out, it's super low VF has allowed mods of ARC AAA to way surpass ARC AAA's performance and at same time keep it's timeless form factor.

highly recommend a Miller mods Cree two stage ARC AAA mod. using genuine ARC AAA head and body. yes there is a difference!

the next Paradigm shift has arrived in cree's performance and beam pattern. which is perfect for no optic applications. low vf allows use of std alk or NHM AAA cells.

this combined with a two stage twisty, makes the most ideal user interface available.

it's high time Peter took a closer look at CREE based two stage mods like what Miller mods has been putting out. enough units have been in the field to prove reliability of two stage switch design.

with current set to 50/200 milliamps, you get super long run times and high output. heat is not a huge factor at these low currents.

hey Peter... sure hope you are listening!

folks would line up for a ARC AAA XR-E two stage

Cy got that exactly right. Times change, the Arc is still a class act but Peter really needs to look at the CREE. Set at the same output as the 5mm in there now and without optics, just maybe the CREE is a perfect match.