Which Amilite T5 low level: 15 or 30 lumes?

pilou

Enlightened
I am considering a T5, which gives two options for the low level: 15 or 30 lumens.

Those who have them, to what lights would you compare these two levels? For instance, which level is close to a 2nd gen Inova X1? Is the 30 lumens almost like a Fenix Lp1? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a T5 yet, but for reference, the L1P was about 25 Lumens and the current reflectored (V2... whatever you want to call it) X1 is about 8 Lumens.

I think if I were to order one, I'd go for the 15 Lumen low version but I think it comes down to how you think you'll mostly use it. I have an SSC-ed HDS light which I think puts out about 20 Lumens on Primary... maybe 25 Lumens and I feel it is bright enought for most of my needs of that flashlight. On secondary, I'm guessing it's about 8-10 Lumens and that's more than enough for most of my indoor uses.

martonic

Enlightened
I got the 30 lumen version and after some time with it, I'm glad I did. It's bright enough on low to be quite useful and still have great runtime, while toting a big blast in reserve.

LA OZ

Enlightened
I was wondering the same. I finally decided on the 15 lumen. You got the best world of plenty of runtime and bright enough to walk around with. You always have the high level when you need extra.

Lurveleven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a good aproach is to use the output numbers at flashlightreviews.com and compare with existing lights you have that is close to the numbers of the two different models. Doing that I have concluded that the 30 lm model is the one I will get.

Sigbjoern

Wrangler

Enlightened
Guess it belongs to your personal preferences what your light is intended for most of the time .
Ordered mine with 15lm setting and it`s plenty of light for many of MY needs. And on the 15lm low setting it should last for a while on 1 fully loaded r123!?
The runtime is somewhat shortened on 30lm.
When more light is needed the high setting provides a lot of light!
My former EDC was a Jetbeam MK1 and when I used it for reading a map at nighttime inside the car it was way too bright . When I modded it with a 2-stage switch (Kudos to LIGHTmania !) the low setting was just about perfect for those tasks. (Great light, btw!)
Now it`s replaced with my T5 and I`m absolutely happy with that one! (Let`s see what even better will show up next!?)
You can`t go wrong with a T5 what ever low setting you choose!!!

Last edited:

SEMIJim

Enlightened
Lurveleven said:
I think a good aproach is to use the output numbers at flashlightreviews.com and compare with existing lights you have ...
That's what I would've done. In fact: That's what I did do ;).

The only modern/LED light I have with which to compare is my Nuwai TM-301X-3. FLR says that is 90/200 (throw/overall-output) on low. To me: It works well with night-adapted vision, but, had I my druthers, I'd probably choose to risk sacrificing my night vision for a bit more brightness. The Amilite Neo T5 is listed as 240/750 on "normal low." (The 15lm low, I presume that means.) That's nearly three times the throw and nearly four times the overall brightness as my TM-301X-3. That's probably actually more than I'd want, so the 15lm is the way I'd go.

You know what I wish all these lights came with? I wish they all came with a slip-/snap-on red filter, like one of my MiniMags did. (Which, over the years, I appear to have misplaced :(.)

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing that we are staring to consider 30 lumens as a possible low option. I would go for the 15. Bright enough for most tasks and better runtime.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddjob said:
Amazing that we are staring to consider 30 lumens as a possible low option. I would go for the 15. Bright enough for most tasks and better runtime.

That's what I'm thinking! Remember when folks were doing 2 stage mods on their QIIIs and L1Ps for a more usable low beam... those lights were 25-35 Lumens and many CPFers wanted something a bit more dim than that.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both models and I think the 30 lumens low defeats the purpose of a low mode. The 15l low model is the best buy IMHO. The 15 low is like the HDS primary mode, which is just perfect for most users. The added runtime is a big bonus...

alberto

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
I have both models and I think the 30 lumens low defeats the purpose of a low mode. The 15l low model is the best buy IMHO.

I agree. I just ordered the 15 lumen version because the 10 lumens from my L2T in low mode is perfectly adequate. In my opinion, the 30 lumens would be a nice middle level (if there was a 3-level switch) but not a low level.

racer7

Newly Enlightened
Well, I couldn't make up my mind so I have both.

The 15 is my preference because it is plenty when used in a dark environment and dark adapted eyes, or for close work as in minor work on machinery in a semi lit area. Its the closest to an Inova X1 but more.

Having said all that, the biggest difference to most will be run time so its not really a big deal one way or the other. Inverse square laws apply.

Very nicely done lights with excellent reflectors. I'd like to see a twisty version to shrink them a bit - these tailcaps switches and poor use of spring space are a design fault in almost everything from my viewpoint (stiffer and shorter would be good, at least for springs)

Hallorann

Newly Enlightened
racer7 said:
... I'd like to see a twisty version to shrink them a bit

I have read that the T5 head can be used with the T3 body, providing a much shorter length.

Apparently, the clicky in the T5 is what allows for the Low setting, so the T5 head/T3 body combination will only run on High, and it will be a twisty.

I have not tried this, only what I read.

pilou

Enlightened
racer7 said:
Well, I couldn't make up my mind so I have both.

:laughing: The thought of buying both crossed my mind, but it took a millisecond to snap out of it :grin2:

I think I am pretty much set on getting the 15 lumens version. The 30 lumens setting will probably affect night vision a lot more, and once that is shot, you might as well use the high setting :).

Thanks for all the feedback!

Last edited:

thehappyman

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a T5 with the 30 lumen low option.........
With my P1D-CE I find myself switching from low power (12 lumens) up to one of the higher powers fairly often bacause it isnt quite bright enough for my needs. If the low were at 30 lumens I think I'd be changing brightness levels less....

And I wish Amilite would sell the T5 head separtley so I could update my T3. I think I'll email them and ask if they will sell me just the T5 head.

SQ40

Newly Enlightened
So how does the 30lum Setting compared to a cheap 1w Lux light? (Like my Dorcey 3aa 1w)(Sorry for the newb question)

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
All approx lumens:

03=keychain, Safelight Superbright ?
15=SMJLED, 9 LED, 3 LED projection
22=Elly Std
30-46=L1P std
60=Elly Cree