AmiLite T5 Ordered - Did I Make Mistake?

alberto

Enlightened
Based on a number of postive posts here, and the FlashlightReviews review, I ordered the AmiLite T5 with the Seoul P4 LED last night from Korea. I liked the look of it, the brightness, and the two-level clickie. Did I do the right thing?

I thought the price was a little high, but I wanted a solid backup to my EDC Fenix L1T (with 1xCR123 body).

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the review at FlashlightReviews, it looks like you might be using the L1T as the backup!

They are in demand right now so you could sell it on BST and not lose more than a few $, but I'll bet you like it. If you look on the LED_Museum's review, the beam profile looks fantastic.

Last edited:

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am thinking of buying the one with 30 lumen low.....I have the one with 15 lumen low but sometimes this is not quite enough. The T5 has replaced my old S/F L2.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T5 rocks. You'll love it; I do. It's my current EDC. I got the 30 lumen model. With the SSC at high current, you don't need to "lowball" the low mode with 15 lumens. The 30 lumen model is very useable indoors and closeup, and even though the low beam is rated at 10 hrs for the 15 lumen version, the 30 probably gets at least 7. Using a primary 123, I think of the 30 lumen lowbeam as "unlimited free light" and only think of the highbeam as drawing battery power. In practice, that's the case, I think.

alberto

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I'll post a review when I receive mine.

BTW, I opted for the 15 lumen version based on the fact that my L1T (with CR123) produces 10 lumens on low setting (according to specs) and is perfect for most of my low-light needs. The 30 lumen version would be - for me - too bright for most of my close work uses.

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alteran said:
I just got a T5, and I love it! In fact, it may just replace my P1D-CE as my EDC... Well, actually, the P1D-CE will just be the second light I reach for! One is none and two is one! :laughing:

How do you find the 15 lumen low, is it just right, too much or not enough?

Alteran

Enlightened
Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburger
I like the 15 lumen low, it is good for looking around the house at night, it is not so bright as to hurt your eyes when working close up, and it is just barely dim enough for reading, especially if you use the sidespill. I would go with the 15 lumen low, even if the 30 has a good runtime as well. It really is a matter of personal choice, but this is my preference.

alberto

Enlightened
I recieved my T5 today (4 days from Korea, no special shipping). It came in a very classy black gift box with light, lanyard, and extra O-rings. It works perfectly and has a nice smooth white beam. The T5 come very near being my idea of a perfect EDC light, in terms of size, solid 2-stage clickie, brightness, runtimes, looks, quality, rugged construction, and feel.

The one negative is that the two small retangular notches in the tail cap (not sure why they are there) have *very* sharp corners. I'm concerned that they may cause problems snagging in my pockets or scratching my hands. I would file them except it would destroy the anodizing in those spots.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
alberto said:
I recieved my T5 today (4 days from Korea, no special shipping). It came in a very classy black gift box with light, lanyard, and extra O-rings. It works perfectly and has a nice smooth white beam. The T5 come very near being my idea of a perfect EDC light, in terms of size, solid 2-stage clickie, brightness, runtimes, looks, quality, rugged construction, and feel.

The one negative is that the two small retangular notches in the tail cap (not sure why they are there) have *very* sharp corners. I'm concerned that they may cause problems snagging in my pockets or scratching my hands. I would file them except it would destroy the anodizing in those spots.

+1

DM51

Flashaholic
The notches are there so that the T5 will tail-stand with the lanyard's split ring attached. Now you mention it, the corners probably are a bit too sharp, but I haven't had any problems so far with snagging.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
DM51 said:
The notches are there so that the T5 will tail-stand with the lanyard's split ring attached. Now you mention it, the corners probably are a bit too sharp, but I haven't had any problems so far with snagging.

Tail Stand? My T5's clickie sticks way out past the end of the tailcap which prevents it from tail standing.

The light is incredible however and has amazing output as well as great construction and good runtime. You did NOT make a mistake, what you did do was buy one of the best lights on the market. :)